PDA

View Full Version : Tired of all the Crosslinking to the SH4 Side?

Kaleun1961
02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Am I the only one fed up with all the crosslinking of topics from the SH4 side of the forum to here? I just forced myself to read through the "add on announced" thread and I am disgusted by it, and increasingly by some of the other stuff that is floating over here. There's so much acrimony over there. I just wish the mods would do us U-boat men the favour of leaving us out of it, please.

klcarroll
02-15-2008, 10:17 PM
There's so much acrimony over there. I just wish the mods would do us U-boat men the favour of leaving us out of it, please.

The acrimony tends to be cyclic: .....The peaks occurring as UBI releases new material. (SH4 is still going through the agonies that SH3 did a couple of years ago.)

While I wasn't the one who created that particular cross-link, ....I am sure that the intension was to inform, rather than annoy.

If the general consensus is that it is not informative, ....it will certainly be removed!

klcarroll

VikingGrandad
02-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
I just wish the mods would do us U-boat men the favour of leaving us out of it, please.

Point taken, K61 - much of that 'Add-on' thread (and its siblings) has turned out be very negative.

I'm fairly sure it was me who added the shortcut here, when the announcement was first made. At the time, I felt I should add a shortcut here because the forthcoming U-boat add-on would naturally be of interest to most SH3 fans - i.e. the people who Ubi are targeting the release at.

I don't recall many other threads that we've linked across - just Goose's poll and my 'rehab' thread (which was more about the general unrest stemming from numerous SH3 & SH4 related 'conflicts').

I've got mixed feelings about the forthcoming release. The concept is strange (I suspect the reason is budget constraints) - and it's a slap in the face for SH4 fans who feel Ubi should add more content to the USN / IJN Pacific campaign. But I do think the add-on's potential for being modded into an Atlantic campaign, using the SH4 engine, is exciting and arguably more relevant to the regulars in the SH3 forum. It's a pity that the 'Add-on' thread hasn't focussed more on the modding potential.

Goose_Green
02-16-2008, 11:39 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I have to agree with both of your views K61 & VG and the merits of your arguments!

Mind you, I have noticed that some threads do start in the SH4 "zone" and are then cross-linked to the SH3 "zone" because the thread content maybe applicable to both forums. However, I have noticed some threads (very few though) are more related to U-boats and the Battle of Atlantic - should these threads be "moved" to the SH3 forum instead of being cross-linked?

Anyway, it's just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kaleun1961
02-16-2008, 12:14 PM
I just feel that we are being subjected to marketing for SH4 and this bullcrap addon they are planning to foist off on us, hoping we will shell out for yet another lousy product, which they want the modding community to fix for free. I find myself getting into discussion threads, seeing a bunch of different names and then realizing it's yet again another port over from the other side. We can't even keep our screensot stuff separate, it seems.

I'm not telling the mods how to do their job. It's their job to do as they see fit. Nor do I envy them their job. I just feel uneasy when I see the distinction between our two forums blurred, especially when the crossover stuff engenders strife.

Realjambo
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I have noticed that some threads do start in the SH4 "zone" and are then cross-linked to the SH3 "zone" because the thread content maybe applicable to both forums. However, I have noticed some threads (very few though) are more related to U-boats and the Battle of Atlantic - should these threads be "moved" to the SH3 forum instead of being cross-linked?

We only 'cross-link' where the subject of the thread is applicable to both forums, or that we feel will be of interest to both forums such as 'OT' threads like 'Photo a Day'. I take your point Goose that some threads could be moved instead of being cross-linked.

I'd suggest if anyone thinks a thread should, or shouldn't be cross-linked then they could PM a Moderator and it will be considered http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

@ K61 - you said "We can't even keep our screenshot stuff separate, it seems" - How do you mean exactly? If there is something I can do I will gladly look at it.

Goose_Green
02-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I just feel uneasy when I see the distinction between our two forums blurred, especially when the crossover stuff engenders strife.

I must say that I was very surprised as to how they engineered the whole dual forum format, although I think it's great we can go from one forum to the next without any difficulty I was originally hoping that they had kept the two games seperate, because sometimes I do find it hard to keep track as to what forum I'm in at times - I guess that can be the flaw with the cross-linking idea. Obviously with the dual format format they never realised that both sides would eventually clash with differing opinions etc. It has seen some explosive results in the past year or so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kaleun1961
02-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Actually, RJ, the screenshot stuff is the least of my concerns. Between you and me, probably best you just leave it as it is.

Maybe I'm just feeling a lit ornery at the moment, what with the Carotio sub-war that's been going on. I guess I'm the type of guy who likes to head off potential trouble at the earliest possible moment. We've got such a harmonious SH3 forum that when I see some intrusion from the 4 side, it starts to concern me. I really hope it's not the start of something bad and probably won't be.

joeap
02-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Actually, RJ, the screenshot stuff is the least of my concerns. Between you and me, probably best you just leave it as it is.

Maybe I'm just feeling a lit ornery at the moment, what with the Carotio sub-war that's been going on. I guess I'm the type of guy who likes to head off potential trouble at the earliest possible moment. We've got such a harmonious SH3 forum that when I see some intrusion from the 4 side, it starts to concern me. I really hope it's not the start of something bad and probably won't be.

Well personally I never liked this "SH3 vs. SH4" and "Atlantic vs. Pacific" strife, and as you can see I am an SH3 guy and more of an Atlantic fan. I have friends on both sides so...

VikingGrandad
02-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Goose_Green:
Obviously with the dual format format they never realised that both sides would eventually clash with differing opinions etc. It has seen some explosive results in the past year or so

Regrettably, that's true. But let's not forget that the opposite is true also - there are a good number of regulars from each forum who get along very well, and we've all enjoyed successful cross-forum threads such as the sig banner comp, "A picture a day", "100 facts about you", etc.

I think it's important that fans of both games co-exist in the same community, with at least some degree of harmony and friendship, because the majority of regulars in both forums are good people and have much in common (not least of which is a passion for a very niche and underfunded gaming genre).

We've got such a harmonious SH3 forum that when I see some intrusion from the 4 side, it starts to concern me.

This forum is indeed something to be nurtured, particularly now that SH3 is an old game. I can only assure you that we'll endeavor to be more mindful of that (and other concerns raised in this thread) when considering any future cross-linking.

Wasatch.
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
We've got such a harmonious SH3 forum that when I see some intrusion from the 4 side, it starts to concern me

Well personally I never liked this "SH3 vs. SH4" and "Atlantic vs. Pacific" strife, and as you can see I am an SH3 guy and more of an Atlantic fan. I have friends on both sides so...

I'd just like to mention that this has been a two way street. "Intrusions" from the " 3 side", were up until recently, common enough in two different forums. Some of the animosity or zeal from some (including me, i admit), from the "4 side" can best be explained by a simple statement, "Ive been waiting for this game since SH1". Thats a long time to wait.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hunter

1996. To put the shoe on the other foot for a minute, suppose that SH1 was a Atlantic game, and every game since has been in the Pacifc. So along comes Sh4, which is finnaly in the atlantic again! After a 12 year wait, youd be estatic. Now enter the forum users who proclaim that SH4 should be a Pacific game about Fleet boats and not Nazi uboats! (to parallel the "yankee-pig" comments ive heard once or twice from atlantic fans), how would you feel? How would you respond?

That, i beleive is the foundation for the Us Vs Them mentality that occurs. My aoplogies if this post seems inflammitory, im merely trying to point out what i think is the root of the cause for "sides" so that maybe animosity or "us vs them" can be kept to a minimum, or eliminated altogether.

As an aside, ive played, and modded for, both "sides".

Kaleun1961
02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Well, I do know this. I lost my previous sig banner because when I posted something, it was crosslinked to the SH4 side and somebody there objected to my "swastika" sig banner. I had no problems with anybody objecting to my sig banner prior to cross linking. Or, it may have been that I made a post or two over there and that was how it was noticed. The end result was, somebody from the SH4 side objected and I had to remove my banner. I almost wish we could have separate personas for each side, but that would simply be unworkable.

Maverick_U2007
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Kaleun1961,

Yes I understand your frustration at some of the 'cross-linking' but I believe that the Moderators do so in the belief that they are improving the forum and we should not critisise them for it (not suggesting you are)

I visit both 'sides' as I play both versions on a regular basis, there will always be people who want to spoil, antagonise, wind up, critisise and even slander people, that is human nature. Your old signature being a case in point.

I regularly look for posts from certain people, you being one of them, (not trying to suck up), but likewise I avoid posts from others, (that is my choice).

I know that your original post was not a complain but more an observation, but for the benfit of others, 'noobs' and the like could you please tolerate the 'cross-linking' as what might be a chore to read might also be of some help to another maybe considering one or the other of the versions.

Maverick

Kaleun1961
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Sure, no problem. I wasn't expecting to have it all my way. I was just getting a tiny bit concerned and expressed it. That concern has been heard, considered and addressed, for which I am grateful.

Wasatch.
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I lost my previous sig banner because when I posted something, it was crosslinked to the SH4 side and somebody there objected to my "swastika" sig banner.

First i like to say, that i had nothing to do with that. In fact, i wasnt even aware of this. That said, it is my personal opinion, that "flying the swaztika" in any context, should not be embraced. Even if its to be "in character". Ive played SH3 off and on from around its initial release, right up to Sh4s initial release, and not once could i bring myself to adorn a swaztika on conning tower, nor on forum signiture.

I beleive its a matter of perspective. It's one thing to appreciate the Uboat as a weapon of war. Its quite another to idolize and make a marter not neccessarily the men, but the cause under which they served. Flying the swaztika does this by proxy - if thats your intention or not doesnt matter, its how people perceive it. The swaztika is a symbol. Symbols are visual reprentations of thoughts and ideals. Society dictates the values associated with any given symbol. Today the swaztika represents MANY things, all of them bad. Its a symbol used by hate groups ranging from white supremists, to neo nazi's, to ww2 death camps, to "good ole fashion" national socialsm, there really isnt any acceptable context for it for many people.

Realjambo
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm not criticising any of the comments above, but can I suggest we leave discussions about the Swastika alone now.

It would be a shame if this thread has to be locked - at the moment it doesn't need to be - but I've seen threads like this take abrupt turns, quite innocently to begin with that then get quite messy and everyone goes home unhappy.

@K61, I'm glad you feel your original concerns have been considered and addressed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kaleun1961
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Yes, let's not drag that up; although it was mentioned only in passing, it was not the gist of my comment. I've appreciated the response from the moderators [and remember when we suffered from a lack of their participation?] and all sides of the issue have been expressed. I understand their reasoning for all of the crosslinking and they have heard concerns from myself and maybe a few others. As far as I am concerned, this will be my last post in this thread and I am still a satisfied forum member.

VikingGrandad
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
"If moderation is a fault, then indifference is a crime."

~ Jack Kerouac