PDA

View Full Version : You can't fly if you can't see...

Worf101
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I loved this game. I enjoyed it alot. I even went so far as to join an Squadron, the 99th... But after a while I had to put it down. Try as I might I found it was getting harder and harder to see the screen. Even with a 19 inch I could see nothing but blurs and specs and my vision was getting darker. Something that even glasses couldn't fix.

I found I couldn't see to fly. Type II Diabetes was/is affecting my vision to the point where I couldn't make out anything on the screen. I bought a Dell Widescreen monitor and it's helping but I know it's only a temp fix. To Bearcat and the fellahs, I'm sorry I could never fly with the Redtails. I keep flying as long as I can and when I can't you guys hold up my end for me...

Thanks....

Da Worfster

Worf101
04-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I loved this game. I enjoyed it alot. I even went so far as to join an Squadron, the 99th... But after a while I had to put it down. Try as I might I found it was getting harder and harder to see the screen. Even with a 19 inch I could see nothing but blurs and specs and my vision was getting darker. Something that even glasses couldn't fix.

I found I couldn't see to fly. Type II Diabetes was/is affecting my vision to the point where I couldn't make out anything on the screen. I bought a Dell Widescreen monitor and it's helping but I know it's only a temp fix. To Bearcat and the fellahs, I'm sorry I could never fly with the Redtails. I keep flying as long as I can and when I can't you guys hold up my end for me...

Thanks....

Da Worfster

SithSpeeder
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I hope they find a cure for this, bud.

But in the mean time, take care of yourself as best you can. Hold on and do the right thing as long as you can. And perhaps one day you will be back and part of the active flying community.

Prayers to you and yours.

* _54th_Speeder *

ytareh
04-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Hope this works out as well as possible.

Udidtoo
04-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Your not alone Worf. There are many people here that continue to fly as best they can despite being hampered by bodies that betrayed. Keep fighting and never give in.

Good hunting and S'

BuzzU
04-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Good luck to you. I can feel your pain. I lost the sight in one eye, and the other eye has glaucoma and a cataract. I do the best I can, but time will catch up to me like it did with you. Good luck again.

Tooz_69GIAP
04-22-2005, 11:14 AM
that sucks.

about 8 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (caused by pancreatitis) and I sometimes have blurred vision, and so on, and headaches in front of the comp, so I know sorta where you're coming from.

I dunno if you've heard about this, but in Glasgow, Soctland (where I live) there have been some breakthroughs recently concerning diabetes. I mena very recent, so this may not get to the US any time soon, but it's a start at least.

One thing is that they have developed a way of inhaling insulin, rather than taking tablets, or using injections (I have to take 4 injections a day!!). It is apparently working very well for Type 2 diabetics, although Type 1's need to still take the long acting injection every 24 hours.

Another advancement is to do with stem cells (again, probably something the US wont take on too soon, specially with the current administration!!).

In Glasgow, they've doing research with stem cells by injecting them into the liver, and using them to grow the approriate cells to aid in regeneraton of the pancreas, or more specifically the pancreatic gland.

It's thought that eventually (probably a few years off right enough) that they'll be able to perform a procedure that will help to make the insulin producing part of the pancreas regenerate and start creating insulin again, therefore pretty much curing the disease.

Thought I'd let you know, and see if you can find anything out about it from your doctor. It may, or may not help with the condition.

Bearcat99
04-22-2005, 06:13 PM
D@mn...... I never had an inkling...... I'm sorry to hear that.. I was wondering what happened.... I saw you posting and I knew you were a player so I figured you were just gigging and busy as h@ll......

Keep the faith..... hang in there Dave.

ytareh
04-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Hope it all works out as well as possible.

NewNewly
04-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Tooz my sympathy to you and everyone else with diabetes. My son was diagnosed 4 years ago when he was 7. He also has Type 1 and takes 3 shots of Humalog and 1 of Lantus every day. Up until last year he was the only child in his elementary school od 500 students who had diabetes. Last year one other boy in his class was also diagnosed. Doctors here in the States beleive their is a noticible rise in Diabetes in children. My son was always active, and was not overweight. A year after he was diagnosed with diabetes we found out he had Celiac disease. This is also a autoimmune disease like diabetes but instead of attacking and killing the pancreas his body attacks his gut whenever he eats, oats, rice, wheat or barley. All of these foods are considered gluten and can be found in almost all processed foods. We don't eat at restuarants any longer as we can no longer trust the food. Some kids in his class call him a"freak" becasue of his speacial diet and his diabetes. He is very sensitive andis hurt by these comments but he has really been forced to mature because of his medical issues. So fas so good, he is healthy and has had no medical emergencies. We actively participate in the Juvenile Walk for Diabetes (JDRF) every year and raise on average $1,500 per year for Diabetes research. We are going to find a cure someday. Lets keep praying!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
that sucks.

about 8 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (caused by pancreatitis) and I sometimes have blurred vision, and so on, and headaches in front of the comp, so I know sorta where you're coming from.

I dunno if you've heard about this, but in Glasgow, Soctland (where I live) there have been some breakthroughs recently concerning diabetes. I mena very recent, so this may not get to the US any time soon, but it's a start at least.

One thing is that they have developed a way of inhaling insulin, rather than taking tablets, or using injections (I have to take 4 injections a day!!). It is apparently working very well for Type 2 diabetics, although Type 1's need to still take the long acting injection every 24 hours.

Another advancement is to do with stem cells (again, probably something the US wont take on too soon, specially with the current administration!!).

In Glasgow, they've doing research with stem cells by injecting them into the liver, and using them to grow the approriate cells to aid in regeneraton of the pancreas, or more specifically the pancreatic gland.

It's thought that eventually (probably a few years off right enough) that they'll be able to perform a procedure that will help to make the insulin producing part of the pancreas regenerate and start creating insulin again, therefore pretty much curing the disease.

Thought I'd let you know, and see if you can find anything out about it from your doctor. It may, or may not help with the condition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billy_BigBoy
04-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Man, really sorry to hear that Worfster,
Here's another one with diabetic type I (yes, it's a decease!) For more than 20 years I'm fighting with this (39 now). Still not loosing (no, you can't win, that's right). Still everything is fuly operational. Eye's, feet, heart. For how long, I don't know. I never thought about the far future, I wouldn't make it anyway. But lately I started to think that I might even get old. Have two children, both healthy (still), lovely girlfriend and do really lots of sports.
But yes, I'm fighting each and every day with it, sugerlevel mostly to low (that's maybe why my parts are still running http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )and thinking of food and medication at least four times a day, never a day off, never vacation.
But hey! I still can fly with you guys, so my thoughts are with you Worf101. If I can be of any help, let me know.

The_Wind_Dancer
04-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Pax Xristi

~S~ 99th_WindDancer

1.JaVA_Hornet
04-24-2005, 03:49 AM
I know your feeling. Last 2 months i couldn`t
play il2 because i thought i had a eyekindling.
After a visit at the eyedoctor i now know
i have a shorten of eyetear. At the evening
when i look at the light of a lamp-post i see
a circle of mist around the light. I now
have a little bottle of synthetic eyetear
be near me to drop my eyes every now and then.

Rotterdam
The Netherlands

Diablo310th
04-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Type 1 diabetes here too. I've had cataracts removed from both eyes so i understand also. I get the blurred vision and headaches myself. these dang trifocle glasses make seeing in the right spot hard too. Hang in there and keep flying and just have fun. Maybe someday a cure will be found soon for all of us that suffer this. ~S~