PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, on cursing.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 03:50 AM
Oleg,

Why is "G*d d*mn" in the US campaign? Sure I guess the "Teen" rating allows sh*t and f*ck, but a religious profanity is crossing a line with millions of Americans. Could this subject receive some consideration?

Sincerely,
EF

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 03:50 AM
Oleg,

Why is "G*d d*mn" in the US campaign? Sure I guess the "Teen" rating allows sh*t and f*ck, but a religious profanity is crossing a line with millions of Americans. Could this subject receive some consideration?

Sincerely,
EF

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 03:54 AM
*YAWNS*

so killing an other pilot is ok but cursing is wrong?

Face it, its a sim, and Im sure many pilots used to curse a LOT while inflight.

Down with censoring

THIS is the graph:

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/Luftcaca.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 03:55 AM
*yawns also, checks time* OH crap, need to go.

JG27~jakevas

http://members.cox.net/jakevas/sig4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:01 AM
This says it all:

Author: Eisen_Frettchen

But D*mn me for bumping this again :-)

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1951.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Yes, da*m you.

OMG, WHAT HAVE I DONE, I BUMPED IT

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Eisen, just delete the file "damn" from "IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Samples/Speech/US/Actor 1" and replace it with any "damn" coming from the other folders. There migh even be no need to replace it.

Now that you're on it already, take out "damn1" from Actor 9's folder, and Oleg's cration will be Evil-free...

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Aero

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Historically cursing was a bit rare back than, folks were raised much better than now days.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:19 AM
RedManAce wrote:
- Historically cursing was a bit rare back than, folks
- were raised much better than now days.
-
-

That's the stupidest thing i've heard in a few weeks, congrats.

As for cursing in this game....I hate bible-thumpers that go on preaching about being offended b/c of a little cursing. You're shooting pilots down, yet...you can't handle a little cursing? Hypocrisy at it's finest (BTW, i'm Christian, yet I don't live in 1700 like some of ya'll).

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:24 AM
well you can't please everyone, so unless most players have a problem with it, i would recommend that whoever dislikes the cursing should either disable the audial chatter or delete the offensive sound files. sorry, but majority rules and i don't know of too many people who are going to quit playing a game because of the occasional curse word.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Millions of Americans? Just how many Americans are you?

There seems to be a vocal minority on the boards here making one hell of a fuss about this subject. As an American, I personally find it more than a little disturbing that some of my own countrymen are advocating cencorship as opposed to personal choice.

Why not instead ask for an option to disable swearing rather than suggesting that it should be removed completely?

Wouldn't this solve the problem for you? allowing you to enjoy your pastime in your own way, just as those of us who are not offended by a little common profanity, like to enjoy ours?

Censorship is a profanity unto itself.

Just My 2cents

Lions

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:34 AM
I just want to say that if you don't want to hear it, you can remove it. If there are people who want to have swearing in the game, and it is removed, then they will not be able to hear it. Maybe it would be better to have it left in for those who want it?

Personally, I find it more immersive, and seriously, i'm sure everyone has said it before, and i'm sure we all hear it almost every day. I don't really think it should be such a big deal.

248th_Vgamer
C/O IL-2 Forgotten Battles Division
248th VFS
http://www.248th.com

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:34 AM
"Could this subject receive some consideration?"

is what Eisen said.

not:

"suggesting that it should be - removed completely?"

Some folks are getting pretty upset and acting awfully rude to a possible new guy to the forums who is asking Oleg a reasonable question.

Relax folks, he asked for Oleg to consider one phrase.

Sheesh, at least be polite.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Falcon

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_09.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:38 AM
The problem with using the phrase "God Dam**t" is that it is considered to be blasphemous by many because it is using the Lord's name in vain. I have no problems with cursing per se but this phrase is offensive for a different reason.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:42 AM
By the way, LOL at using arguments like "this is censorship". A very common term of the mid 40's in America was "n*gger" and I know everybody would be offended by this one.

The game also doesn't come with Nazi insignia despite the obvious censorhip so there is a huge double-standard going on here.

If you replaced "God Dam**t" with "damn it" that would be an easy fix and still a valid phrase a pilot may utter in a high stress situation.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:53 AM
Those are excellent and thoughtful posts Bucinda, bravo.

Falcon

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_09.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:56 AM
The cursing is simulated and so is the killing. You won't go to hell, I promise. God told me so.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 04:58 AM
i've been going to catholic school for 12 years, and i can tell you that according to catholicism at least, not only is literally taking god's name in vain a mortal sin (i.e. god damn it) but so is any other curse word. so if your argument is against only the one "god" phrase being against the commandments/religious law, you are actually requesting the removal of all curse words. yea.. or something like that.
and about the racist and nazi comments, i think it could be assumed that the majority of people would not officially approve of nazi insignia on much of anything. again, back to my argument of the majority ruling: there will always be one or two squeaky wheels who takes offense at something, but when the masses are not in favor of something, like nazi symbols, it is an easy decision to remove the offensive material. i am almost certain that the majority of il2 gamers and other people in general find the swear words tolerable, at least occasionally. if it were not acceptable, wouldn't this game be controversial (think grand theft auto.)
and about the racist swear words: i don't know what you are trying to say. there were a lot of things acceptable 60 years ago that are not today; that is not applicable or topical.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:01 AM
I was not the least bit impolite in my post, nor do I take the subject of suggested censorship lightly.

Just what other kind of "consideration" did you have in mind? Goshdarn? Dadgum?

BTW, I'm simply airing my opinion just as you have.

And now back to the #&*&@# profanity.

Lions

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:04 AM
Bucinda wrote:
- By the way, LOL at using arguments like "this is
- censorship". A very common term of the mid 40's in
- America was "n*gger" and I know everybody would be
- offended by this one.
-
- The game also doesn't come with Nazi insignia
- despite the obvious censorhip so there is a huge
- double-standard going on here.
-
-
- If you replaced "God Dam**t" with "damn it" that
- would be an easy fix and still a valid phrase a
- pilot may utter in a high stress situation.
-
-
-

I'm not offended if you say ******...hell i'm of Spanish descent...and if someone called me spic, I wouldn't mind either. SO i guess that means your post holds no weight since i wasn't offended.

Message Edited on 11/11/0304:07AM by Blade_X_

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:06 AM
The reason it doesn't come with Nazi insignia, is b/c it's illegal in Germany and other nations to depict Nazi'ism...hence making IL2 an illegal product in Germany. Do a little research before posting please.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Blade_X_ wrote:
- The reason it doesn't come with Nazi insignia, is
- b/c it's illegal in Germany and other nations to
- depict Nazi'ism...hence making IL2 an illegal
- product in Germany. Do a little research before
- posting please.
-
-

yes and i'm sure if it were legal in germany, jewish people across the world would just love to see swastikas plastered all over the place in video games. please do a little thinking before posting.

p.s. i knew about the whole illegal thing.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Timmothias wrote:
-
- Blade_X_ wrote:
-- The reason it doesn't come with Nazi insignia, is
-- b/c it's illegal in Germany and other nations to
-- depict Nazi'ism...hence making IL2 an illegal
-- product in Germany. Do a little research before
-- posting please.
--
--
-
- yes and i'm sure if it were legal in germany, jewish
- people across the world would just love to see
- swastikas plastered all over the place in video
- games. please do a little thinking before posting.
-
- p.s. i knew about the whole illegal thing.
-
-

And that's the point...the Nazi Insignia is not represented DUE TO LEGAL REASONS. Since cursing isn't held under the same restrictions, it's represented. How exactly is that a double-standard again?

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Just a little aside: you know why the Commandments forbid someone using the Lord's name in vain?

You see, back then the expression was different. Nowadays it's just an expression of frustration. Back then it was literal, i.e. the curser actually called upon God to damn whatever it was in question. That was a pretty serious thing to do, and not something to be taken lightly.

Nowadays we have a different religious culture where the casually spoken word does not carry so much supernatural meaning and saying it just means you're pretty angry.

Which a combat pilot would be if he were being dogged by an enemy pilot and just about ready to die.

"Oh no, the V-1 Doodlebug is heading for our bunghole!" ---David

"...I possess the wings of faith. Though heavy on my shoulder (no measurement can prove their weight), still a burden are they not to me. I am the challenger of gravity." ---Emperor

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Eisen_Frettchen wrote:
- Oleg,
-
- Why is "G*d d*mn" in the US campaign? Sure I guess
- the "Teen" rating allows sh*t and f*ck, but a
- religious profanity is crossing a line with millions
- of Americans. Could this subject receive some
- consideration?

Ok.. what is next?.. are we going to put black bar across the brest of the semi nude women nose art?

Then what? Or should I ask where does it end?

STOP AND THINK FOR A *GD* SECOND!!!

You and your religion has no problem with you pretending to KILL PEOPLE!!

but the used of G.D. bothers you?

I just dont get it.. and I hope to HELL I NEVER DO!

<div style="width:700;color:F0FFFF;fontsize:11pt;filter: glow[color=black,strength=8)">
<h2> TAGERT</h2>
<h3>If WAR was not the ANSWER........ Than what the H was your QUESTION?</h3>
</div>

Message Edited on 11/10/0308:29PM by tagert

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 05:51 AM
Another one of these stupid threads. I have refrained from posting in the other bible thumping threads, but I will reply to this one.

For one, Eisen_Frettchen, do not try and force your religion on everyone else. If you really are from America, look what your damn religion did to the American Indian. I ought to know. Many are my ancestors.

Secondly, try just speaking for yourself. You have no right to speak for millions of 'unknown' Americans.

Sheeesh.

THIRD... any half-wit can edit or replace the files that offend them, instead of expecting everyone to bow down to their individual beliefs. So, are you dumber than a half-wit?

ASIDE: If this is a TROLL thread from one of the very well known regular members that just love to create a New User name so they can start trouble, then the mods should be banning you. Hopefully, one will take the time to investigate your IP, in case that is what is happening here, because, that sort of thing has been happening waaay too much.

BTW, it does not matter what 'GOD' 'I' worship, if any, OR, if I worship none. No matter what, though, I will not expect others do conform to my beliefs. In regards to IL-2/FB, either fix your problem, or ignore it. But, you do not have the right to make me adhere to your religion.

Also, many others are right. You have no problem pretending to kill people, I mean, thou shalt not kill! What a hypocrite. Hey, just PRETEND you are hearing, what you call, curse words, or whatever you want to call them. Simple, huh?

<p align="center">http://forums.ubi.com/i/icons/Symbols/symbol-us-flag.gif </br></br><font size="1" color="white"><u>RealKill</u></font></p><font size="1" color="#59626B">

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 06:01 AM
- Why is "G*d d*mn" in the US campaign? Sure I guess
- the "Teen" rating allows sh*t and f*ck, but a
- religious profanity is crossing a line with millions
- of Americans.

Stats please? You got hard numbers for that? I thought not. That's an arrogant assertion on a good day. Don't speak for me, please. Thanks.

- Historically cursing was a bit rare back then, folks
- were raised much better than now days.

Cursing was more rare in polite society and the media, but that's about it.

You folks need to go out and meet some people from that generation. My father just turned 70 and judging by his vocabulary and his stories, even back then, when people were more "Christian" and polite, that word was a very, very common curse. Watch some of the better history programs or read good books based on personal accounts... Honest recall of the language used at that time shows this to be true.

For that reason, I'm actually PLEASED that the word is in there. I say good for Oleg and Co., giving us historical truth without any censorship or sugar-coating. Besides, what do you think they said? "Golly gee, there's a 109! Oh shucks, I've been shot! Gosh, I hope they can clean my guts off the windscreen!" Please...

And never mind the idiocy of wanting to censor language in a game that entertains by simulating mass murder with airbone automatic weapons. Like Paul Verhoeven said... Show a tit and you get an NC-17, cut it off and you get an R... Thanks for reminding me why many people think we Americans are idiots, and why I've got nothing to do with organized religion...

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Oh please, being a Christian had nothing to do with it. People just didn't throw curse words around like confetti, it just wasn't in the culture at the time. Schools still educated, people still worked hard, small town USA didn't have locks on the damn doors.

If I were to really object, it'd be on the basis it makes the USAAC look like a bunch of rank amatures instead of the pro's they were.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
RedManAce wrote:
- Oh please, being a Christian had nothing to do with
- it.

That is what these requests are continually based on, though.

- People just didn't throw curse words around
- like confetti, it just wasn't in the culture at the
- time.

Curse words are not thrown around like confetti in Fb, either. So, this 'case' should be closed.

- Schools still educated, people still worked
- hard, small town USA didn't have locks on the damn
- doors.

Really? What about minorities? Or, the dirt poor white farmer? Etc. Educated? Well, some, somewhat.

Yeah. Locks. People used locks a lot. The bad people would just cut the screen on the window, or use an 'ol timey crow bar.

- If I were to really object, it'd be on the basis it
- makes the USAAC look like a bunch of rank amatures
- instead of the pro's they were.

About cursing and 'the military', you would seriously try and argue an ocassional curse word makes the "USAAC" (huh) look like "rank amatures"? That is funny!

<p align="center">http://forums.ubi.com/i/icons/Symbols/symbol-us-flag.gif </br></br><font size="1" color="white"><u>RealKill</u></font></p><font size="1" color="#59626B">

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Since the release of the original IL2 1.2ov, Oleg/1C has given you, the end user, to make/change/modify your own speech files.

Please don't waste time posting here to have something changed that you can do on your own with just a little bit of patience and time with the Read Me.

See your ./speech folder.

Oh, and you had best change the Russian and German, wouldn't want you to hear the swearing in other languages, either.

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Aeronautico wrote:
- Eisen, just delete the file "damn" from "IL-2
- Forgotten Battles/Samples/Speech/US/Actor 1" and
- replace it with any "damn" coming from the other
- folders. There migh even be no need to replace it.
-
- Now that you're on it already, take out "damn1" from
- Actor 9's folder, and Oleg's cration will be
- Evil-free...

He's not interested in how HE hears it. Eisen wants to tell US what WE should be allowed to hear according to what HE believes.

Kids shouldn't be afraid of words, even bad ones since they'll hear them anyways despite Eisen's best efforts.

<center>http://mywebpage.netscape.com/nyngje/charvel.JPG

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 07:37 AM
ahh come on guys hes trolling .. note the newbie tag.. were just a few days from a big cuss war now another in just a few days when we went years without any before .. hes trolling....http://photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/8301.gif

http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_sniper2.gif
U.S INFANTRY 1984-1991

XyZspineZyX
11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Personally, I like to hear a bit of swearing now and then.
Especially in a life or death struggle.
And I'm pretty sure the "Lord" would understand, given the circumstances.
But that's just me.

Message Edited on 11/11/0301:29AM by badatit