PDA

View Full Version : Has the true spirit of Splinter Cell been lost?

primetheus1980
05-09-2010, 05:56 AM
I think as an avid ubi-fanboy and owner of every type of Sam fisher related game/merchandise I have the right to climb on my "proverbial soapbox" for just a second.

I am in no way suggesting how you (ubisoft) should do your jobs. You make great games. Games I love to buy and play. But as a long time "anti-piracy" supporter and huge SC fan, I'm troubled and I feel some things need to be said.

I'm sad.

I am mostly sad because of the acute sense I have of becoming a number on an ubisoft accountant's spreadsheet. This is the only conclusion I can draw, I feel the very spirit of the splinter cell series has been either sincerely lost in the excitement of expanding on our experience and the new tech concepts, or it's been corrupted by the simple greed of modern gaming.

Despite my mentioning piracy in a previous paragraph I have absolutely no objections to the DRM measures YOU have employed - (other than the fact that they pretty much signal the death throes of PC gaming - thanks primarily to piracy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ).

My biggest issue - and it's a BIG issue... is that the spirit of what the splinter cell series is - has been lost.

Where are the rewards for being invisible?, not killing a soul during a mission?

I realise that games must make money - and that "Sam's all angry about his daughter being killed" but your (ubisoft) franchise was built around US (the gamers) enjoying the fact that we can CHOOSE to execute or spare our vitctims - through this WE could relate to Sam like no other character. When WE are suddenly ordered to kill the female shin-bet double agent in a previous game, our displeasure is mirrored by Sam's unhappiness with being told to kill an unarmed woman. (wether we do or not).

The satisfaction of completing a mission start to finish without setting off any alarms - all bodies hidden and undiscovered. Being a ghost, is lost. And with that I fear some of Sam's humanity is lost. I realise that he is "****ed" about his little girl and that would affect his compassion no doubt, but... He would still be Sam Fisher, not a Jason Bourne wannabe.

I mean seriously - I've never played splinter cell for the "rush" of killing 15 ppl in 10 seconds. It was for the thrill of being that close to getting discovered time after time, not killing a soul - yet still getting away with it, by being clever, cunning and being Sam Fisher - the guy that can pull it off with grace, style and above all a "killer wit".

I just want to voice my opinion that this game although visually stunning, technologically awesome and extremely creative... Has been somewhat marred by lack of an accurate narrative of the Sam Fisher character that WE the consumers and gamers have helped you (ubisoft) to build a brand around. I feel we've been left out in the cold a little. To me and many people I know - Sam Fisher was always more of an "Ethan Hunt"/MI type character that would rather be creative in achieving his objective than kill everyone hired by his enemies.

I thank you (the ubi developers) as always for a great title and a great experience. One I am proud to have on my shelf, but perhaps out of the ashes of this title's conclusion - a new story arc could be written - with an awesome narrative that is also true to the "spirit" of the original games. Leaving us truly in control of the choices Sam makes throughout the game (and not just at the end).

anttonoo
05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Its different games with same character if you ask me. The old splinter cells were good and funny but it required more. Myself wanted a higher phase and maybe some more ways to complete a mission and the use of more gadgets (parachutes, rappeling, fast roping, emp's) in the old game type.

Conviction wasnt bad, no it rocks. But it has bad optimisation and huge issues.

Dread_stunlock
05-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Don't you just hate going always behind the mob in order to grab him? Ughhh....Krav Maga rulz!

Blind_Captain
05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree. Conviction is an incredible game - but it's not a "splinter cell" game and has lost the niche that only splinter cell serves.

"The choice" was a defining element of splinter cell. The choice to just walk right by, to knock out or to kill. That choice does not exist in other games...and now in this game it essentially is gone as you are, by the mechanics of the game, often required to kill the enemies.

Even things like picking up items to throw them for noise...whistling to lure an enemy over...

I don't think the series is lost or that this game is worse than the others, but I do think that if there is another splinter cell and it is not a step back in the stealth direction, then the series will soon be lost. Basically in earlier games the action side of things was lacking basic features - the gun sucked, you couldn't pick up ammo/weapons, the controls were by nature not good in fast paced situations. However, now in this game an excellent job was done to fix that side of the game, but in the process (in agreement with the storyline) we've come a little too far from the stealth. So now, for the next game in the series, if the stealth direction is returned, I think all is well. However, if in that game the same balance from conviction is kept (or it is made even less stealth oriented) then I'll probably leave the series and I think many of the original fan-base will as well.

Boris5134
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I understand the argument being presented and see its background from someone that I believe probably hasn't been put in a position like the main character has. Ubisoft did a fair job of portraying the ****ed off elite agent Sam has become, and to comprehend how he became the lone gun slinger from the sleathy elite he once was is traced to having his daugter's death on his hands, and then (story line goes) having shot his superior and long time friend Lambert in D.A.

Lambert informed Sam of his daughters death in D.A. after infiltrating the "Geothermal Power Plant" in Iceland and loosing a Splinter Cell in the process, John. Sam's reaction to one having lost a fellow comrad (even if no personal ties to the other, and this is depicted from Victor Coste) is that you simply don't leave one of your own behind. While not in the military I can assure you that 14 years of preparation, and a failed MEPS hearing exam gave me a PDQ, I still feel like I am amongst the ranks, and wouldn't hesitate for a second if offered still.

Anyways, that bit of history out now, having to kill your best friend who has been with you since (excuse the metaphor) you were still in diapers in the worst of conditions you could be in to save your own life for the good of national security, you'd probably be raged to no end. After finding out your daughter is in fact alive, you wouldn't care of who lives and who dies, you take any and all means necessary to meet one single objective - getting back to them alive.

Quite honestly, I feel I could fit in his shoes. Having had an incident myself, and unfortunately will probably be my undoing down the road, is the guilt you get from NOT being there. Not being there to protect the ones you love (Mark and Execute scene for example - Protect your Family) leaves one hell of a heavy weight of guilt upon you. Having been there, I know the burden, I know the pain. I bent the rules, I broke the law, I did dirty little things to help bring a piece of mind.

Quite honestly, I scared the absolute crap out of him when I showed up on his doorstep a week later. All I had to begin with was his name, and a cell phone number. My first instinct when meeting him face to face was to slam him to the floor and beat him for all he's worth, which wasn't much for what he'd done. I held my restraint but I kept my witts about me as he attempted to play off what "didn't" happen, and the subtle little clues he gave off unintentionally because of fear were evident.

I didn't want to start a fight if I could help it, because I'd loved nothing better than to see him ROT behind bars for the rest of his life. Best be assured I was fully prepared to not only defend myself if need be, but to get out alive. Rage, hatred, anger, all are powerful weapons but will render a person blind to what he is capable of doing and can physically do. Been there too, swung like an ox and ended up on my face with someone getting the better of my backside. Those characteristics have to be contained and controlled, and you can "execute" (Grim's office scene) and not think twice about it. If the enemy isn't resting to the point I can walk away, he's simply not down enough. Military teaches two basic principles...

1. Fallow orders without hesitation, question, reserve or perception.

2. If the need arises, don't just attack to injure. Attack to kill. Dead men can't shoot back. Ever.

The mechanic behind Conviction was Prepare and Execute. See what your enemies are. See how to use the environment to your advantage. Plan an attack. Execute Attack. Walk out alive.

CrashTestDoomy
05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
No.