PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery / Effectiveness

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Been trying this game again, and just almost smashed the `puter -

It`s nice to see in the training films how planes blow up from 2 1/2 MG hits. I flew some campaign missions, and save for emptying my ammo at an enemies cockpit, there seems to be NO WAY of shooting down a LaGG 3/I 16.

I showered one LaGGs wing a good 20 seconds, Parts falling off like hell, but no way he would go down.

Fired all of my 15mm ammo on 109F2 into a I16, no effect - now granted, the fuselage is not the best place to hit, but does this plane have 10cm rolled steel behind the pilot ?!

OK, so I might have really been missing with all the nme plane chunks flying by me. So I fired at a friendly at the same distance (200m) - 3 half second bursts of 7.92 dropped the 109 (all in wings and fuselage)

I usually have 4-5:1 K/Ds in Aces High and Warbirds 2.73. Convergence was at 300 metres, firing distance 150 - 200m. I can hit and kill ground targets in IL2FB consistently.

SO:

- Are there any gunnery tips specially for IL2FB ?

- Could it be the russian planes are ridiculously tough ? OK a 15mm ain`t much, but I`d like to see an I16 fly with 50 holes drilled into it from straight behind at 200 - 150m...

- Is there any way to reduce the muzzle flash ? I fired MGs in my service time with the army and NEVER did the muzzle flash obscure my vision TOTALLY in daylight. You would not even see the flash properly.

I`m open for any hints, the game is really nice besides firing all my ammo (and getting, dunno, a ungodly amount of hits) into nme planes to no effect.

BTW, maybe I should try the I16. One shot my 109F2 to bits with about 3 hits (plonk-plonk-plonk SPLASH plane burning) at 700m.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Been trying this game again, and just almost smashed the `puter -

It`s nice to see in the training films how planes blow up from 2 1/2 MG hits. I flew some campaign missions, and save for emptying my ammo at an enemies cockpit, there seems to be NO WAY of shooting down a LaGG 3/I 16.

I showered one LaGGs wing a good 20 seconds, Parts falling off like hell, but no way he would go down.

Fired all of my 15mm ammo on 109F2 into a I16, no effect - now granted, the fuselage is not the best place to hit, but does this plane have 10cm rolled steel behind the pilot ?!

OK, so I might have really been missing with all the nme plane chunks flying by me. So I fired at a friendly at the same distance (200m) - 3 half second bursts of 7.92 dropped the 109 (all in wings and fuselage)

I usually have 4-5:1 K/Ds in Aces High and Warbirds 2.73. Convergence was at 300 metres, firing distance 150 - 200m. I can hit and kill ground targets in IL2FB consistently.

SO:

- Are there any gunnery tips specially for IL2FB ?

- Could it be the russian planes are ridiculously tough ? OK a 15mm ain`t much, but I`d like to see an I16 fly with 50 holes drilled into it from straight behind at 200 - 150m...

- Is there any way to reduce the muzzle flash ? I fired MGs in my service time with the army and NEVER did the muzzle flash obscure my vision TOTALLY in daylight. You would not even see the flash properly.

I`m open for any hints, the game is really nice besides firing all my ammo (and getting, dunno, a ungodly amount of hits) into nme planes to no effect.

BTW, maybe I should try the I16. One shot my 109F2 to bits with about 3 hits (plonk-plonk-plonk SPLASH plane burning) at 700m.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:25 PM
the patch will be released on july,30th...

it should solve some of your problems because damage models and weapon effectivness etc.. were reworked..

Ju87

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:35 PM
The I16 will no longer be equipped with deflector shields after the patch, be sure /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

We few, we happy few, we band of Würgerwhiners...
http://home.wanadoo.nl/wana.mail1/Op****/WurgerwhinerLogo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Try shooting from anywhere than right behind the enemy. I find high AOA (angles of attack) such as coming in from 1000+ mtrs above them. Try some BnZ tactics and you should solve some of these problems. Also you can change Arcade=0 to Arcade=1 in your Conf file to add arrows that show you where your rounds are landing. I think you'd be suprised how many of your shots miss, it was truly an eye opener when I used this! Other than that, practice with different tactics, planes and weapons can help. Good luck and happy hunting!

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Boy. These complaints are more cos a lack of knowledge than anything else. Ok, so the I16s tough and will not be so tough with the patch- but it`s really all about aiming. A lot of people don`t realise that aiming makes a BIG dfference in IL2/FB. Try hit engine or pilot kill, or even the tips of wing (which is quite effective `cept on Hurri). I`ve bought down many I16s that thought themselves unkillable this way.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 11:55 PM
The modelling is always questionable.
In IL2 if I got the plane at my focal point, it just blew up, else it took longer to turn it into a sieve.

In FB, the model looks to be better (frustrating - yes), but more satisfying when you do get it right.

As a historical note from WW2 pilots - Gun focal points above 75/100m were found to be lacking in effectiveness.
If your target was stationary, no problem.

What it boiled down to, was "Rate/Weight of shells thrown at target at highest projectile velocity"

IOW - If your shells strike at low velocity, they are less effective. You might have a "lucky strike" here, but there is no way of predicting that.

Cheers
Tony

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:11 AM
Demolisher_ wrote:
- The I16 will no longer be equipped with deflector
- shields after the patch, be sure.

I hope the same counts for the FW190's, they cannot be damaged by small arms fire either in the current version.

<center> http://www.322squadron.com/images/322.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:20 AM
It seems to depend a lot on where you hit the target. I was flying the Brewster against Hurricanes which can sustain a huge amount of hits from 6 o'clock. When I managed to catch one in a turning fight and hit it fron 8 o'clock, a few rounds took the whole tail assembly off!

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:34 AM
Also keep in mind that, when FB was released, the new aircraft had new damage models created for them, whereas most of the original planes just retained the damage model used in IL-2.

This means that some planes like the I-16, Pe-2/3 and so forth will be missing things like control cables, fuel tanks, realistic engine damage, and other damage model items. Thats why some planes seem incedibly resistant in certain aspects, and the new FB aircraft are flimsy by comparison. For example, the engines on the Pe-2 or P-3 are modelled in a very simplified manner, so they are virtually impossible to destroy. Whereas the engines on the DB-3 or the new He-111 will die from a few hits.

As well, the human controlled and AI controlled DMs appear to be different, so it is possible that the human DM was updated for FB, but the AI DM was left the way it was. For example, when the I-16 is flown by a human, then engine can fail very easily, and the fuel tank burns easily. When the I-16 is AI controlled, the engine and fuel tank are almost invincible.

Once all the old planes have corrected damage items in the patch, they should react to damage in the same way as the new FB planes.

Then on the second day, it was made bug free, and He saw that it was good.

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the answers guys, I will keep trying...

... mebbe I`ll just skip offline training and go straight for the real thang, no better way to learn ,)