PDA

View Full Version : Aviator PC's

jolulure
06-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi. I have seen in this page http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-gaming.asp some pcs that have been awarded by some Flight sims magazines... Are they actally optimized for this kind of gaming??

Thanks!!!

VW-IceFire
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Mmmmm optimized? Sort of. Its a bit of a misnomer. Its not like those PC's run just simulations well...they will run any game well.

The thing with simulation games like this one are they they stress the three main components of the computer to the max. That is the RAM memory, the CPU, and the video card. Games like Doom III or HalfLife 2 pale in comparison as they require one or two of the three but never all three in such quantity. Its not a chest beating comparison either...a simulator if it wants to try and replicate reality has to work so much harder. A game like Doom III plays by its own rules so you can fudge things to make them look good but not have a huge CPU hit. Its just the nature of the beast.

So those machines are full out in all three categories and thus are sort of "optimized" for the sim experience...largely because they are just really powerful. Good for any gaming but good for simulators because they need the extra power for good performance. I suppose you could buy a optimized PC for first person shooters and end up with almost the same thing but say skimping on the CPU a bit.

jolulure
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for your answer Ice fire!!

Ive decided to get a computer from there. Which conf is better??

3,2Ghz
1024RAM
7900GTX

or

3.0 GHz
2048 RAM
7900GTX

The first one is about 70 $ more expensive.

micksaf
06-21-2006, 07:24 AM
I would not hesitate for a second and choose the 2048 RAM one, besides it is less expensive...

johann63
06-21-2006, 10:43 AM
I would go with the 2 gigs of ram config. I have a similar rig and the 2 gigs comes in realy handy

triad773
06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes I agree- 2 gb RAM vs <200mhz on the other, go with more RAM. It'll fly (just add wings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

Cheers

-HH-Quazi
06-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Better yet, buy your own FX-62, 2GB of low latency memory, and two 512Mb 7900 GTX in SLI or the Crossfire 512Mb X1900XTX's, get yourself a top of the line mobo, an Audigy 2, a DVD-RW that reads CD's also, a 74GB SATA WD Raptor, a PSU to get the job done, and a decent case. Put it together and run as well as anything they have to offer. Plus, you will probably save yourself a huge chunk of change. The above can be had for around $2800 or less depending on the deals\sales you can find.

Of course you m8s already knew this, I know. But after looking at the site and reading all about their products, I wanted to throw this out anyway. Looks like alot of profit for a business like this, building high gaming rigs. And they do have a purpose as the vast majority would never, ever consider building their own. But I believe with the support that this community gives, this bunch around here are alot more likely to build their own rather than to pay an extra $800 to $1500 to someone for a days work.

JG52Uther
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
A big +1 to Quazi's post. I built my first computer this year,and will NEVER buy a shop built one again.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Indeed. You never know what you really get in the box. Sure, if you don't dare to build your own PC, that offer is tempting, but it is not all that difficult and if you have somebody at hand to assist you, you'll get more for the same money.

Do you really need your PC completely silenced? I have a passive cooled gfx card and a 120mm cooler for my CPU. You barely hear the rig at all.
Do you really need such a fency case or would a standard case be enough for you?

Tuning? You can tune all PCs. There are a bunch of very good freeware-tools on the internet, optimized drivers and even tools for safe automatic-overclocking.

VW-IceFire
06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by jolulure:
Thanks for your answer Ice fire!!

Ive decided to get a computer from there. Which conf is better??

3,2Ghz
1024RAM
7900GTX

or

3.0 GHz
2048 RAM
7900GTX

The first one is about 70 $ more expensive.
Honestly, if you have the time and are willing to do some work...building your own is the best possible way to go about doing it. I've done it a few times...it can be slightly hair raising at times but its totally enjoyable when its all finished. Depends if your that technologically inclined or not...if not...nothing against you for it...its not for everyone.

As for deciding between the two...I'd say go for the second one with the extra ram and the slightly slower processor. The speed different will be negligable but the extra RAM will probably come into handy over the next year. Seeing as the SimHQ article suggested that Storm of War will be very happy with 2GB like Pacific Fighters is with 1GB...would be worth it.

rmorgansmith
06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
I have asked the question in other threads. Does 2 gigs of RAM make a difference. I have a Dell XPS with 1 gig, thinking off upgrading to the full 2, my tech says will not make a difference as the game will never access. Some forum member have said get it others have said the same thing my tech says, not worth the money.

T_Kang
06-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Opinions are... It was suggested by Oleg to wait to upgrade for SoW. In any event, I would hold off a little bit for the Conroe CPU and mount it on something like the P5W DH Deluxe.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=248&model=1198&modelmenu=1

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Build your own.

If not, I'd say get the one with the faster CPU. It's easier to add RAM than to change out your CPU and any extra CPU cycles can make a difference. If you're only playing FB then I can understand the advice to go with the higher RAM content as 1gig simply isn't enough to run it smoothly anymore.

TB

Codex1971
06-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Yep build your own....but don't tell your freinds or relatives, otherwise you'll be spending some weekends buidling someone else's PC's and have no time to enjoy your own http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

BRASSTURTLE
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
I WOULD NOT ORDER FROM HYPERSONIC!!

Sorry to yell, but i have had personal experience with this company.
They look nice on the website, but the one i ordered was total junk. One of the worst commerce experiences of my entire life, BAR NONE.

The thing gave me BSOD on initial startup & things went downhill from there.

If you would like the whole, sordid story, PM me & i will make youre hair curl (or straighten as the case may be.)

Follow the advice of the others on this matter, build it yourself.

Or, go to the guy I got mine from KC-COMPUTERS.COM

OR check with MAGNUM PC.
I'm not sure if he does whole systems, but he's on the General Discussion forums frequently, so you could light him if it is not satisfactory.

Again, DO NOT BUY FROM HYPERSONIC.

Thank you & good night.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by BRASSTURTLE:
IOR check with MAGNUM PC.
I'm not sure if he does whole systems, but he's on the General Discussion forums frequently, so you could light him if it is not satisfactory.

Magnum-pc DOES build entire systems...and good ones too. The fact that both Bill and Joe are simmers means their systems are built (if you request it) for just such things.

TB