PDA

View Full Version : How do you fly .. offline or online

Bearcat99
02-26-2006, 12:55 PM

Bearcat99
02-26-2006, 12:55 PM

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I fly offline only a few sorties after each patch release. Otherwise online gets the nod from me. AI just doesn't cut the mustard...and they don't listen for sh it on TS either.

danjama
02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
FB/aep/PF Online exclusive

BOB2 offline

slo_1_2_3
02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
i play online when i can but about half the time its offline and well sometimes no use geting online considering i only have pacific fighters and theres not always players online to fly with

Gold_Monkey
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Fri, Sat and Sun nights online, we like to mix it up sometimes PF sometimes FB right now though been having some fun with Over Flanders Field, then we usually end the evening with short hop in FS 2004. Offline for gunnery practice and trying out different aircraft or practicing carrier traps.

TX-Zen
02-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I just could never get into offline flying as a habit, despite all the amazing effort done by so many people for offline stuff.

For me there is no challenge like flying against another person and I guess it's always been that way.

SeaFireLIV
02-26-2006, 02:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Keep in mind that whatever offline numbers we get may be skewed.. because if they fly offline they may not even know about here.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an extremely true point and something I`m always aware of. This is why it saddens me at times to see changes made that mostly benefit onliners while offliners get little in comparison. By default, Oleg`s going to hear the Onliners in ORR, see their praises and boos and respond, but the silent majority offliners will always be a distant second...

This is why I always post mostly for offline improvements concerning things like Campaigns, AI and player-pilot immersion as these are the things that the quiet Offliner yearns for. FMs and DMs are the ONLINEr`s main priority and there`s enough of that here so i leave it alone mostly.

I am an ardent OFFLINER, but play ONLINE twice a week.

JG52Uther
02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Online 99% of the time.BUT i have just downloaded the Hurricane Season campaign and i am having a lot of fun wuth it

reverendkrv1972
02-26-2006, 03:55 PM
pretty much all online,a small amount of offline.

since i fist discovered online gaming with cfs2(and a bit of cfs1) way back...I have hardly played any games offline if they support online play.

I play the odd fps (mainly moh:aa) but flightsimming is far better than fps...

huggy87
02-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I am exclusively offline, but I want to venture into the hyperlobby world. There was a beginners how-to thread for online playing sometime ago. Does anybody remember what it was called?

boxduty
02-26-2006, 04:16 PM
offline. Were I to shoot someone down (ha!)
I'd feel guilty.....I guess I'm sortof a vegeterian pilot....

3.JG51_BigBear
02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Offline only right now. I used to pop online from time to time but I just don't have the time anymore.

Wilburnator
02-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I fly almost entirely online, except for some (very) informal testing and target practice in quick mission builder.

I flew a campaign or two in the original IL-2 but I don't enjoy the flight nearly as much if there aren't other human pilots involved.

T_O_A_D
02-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I only really fly offline, for testing, new missions I'm buidling, target practice, Bla bla. Id say maybe 10% is offline at the most.

Enthor1
02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
About 50/50 here and rapidly going to more offline.

I have no interest in online dogfights and while there are several good coop hosts at Hyperlobby, even coops have lost their luster for me.

It is a drastic change for me as I have been 99.9% online since 1998 but the missions and especially the great campaigns being pumped out by people here are making the transition painless.

I can honestly recommend to any onliners getting a bit jaded with online play, a trip to Flying Legends or many other sites hosting great campaign files, the most recent: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4541063514

Check some of the offline stuff out, it's very well done and there is no waiting.

aka Sunchaser

ImpStarDuece
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
I flew offline exclusively from the original IL-2 all the way up to PF 3.03.

After 3.04 I got broadband and a new computer so tried my hand online for about 8 months. Flew online about 80% of the time, mostly WC.

4.01 rolled around and I basically reverted to offline flying. Now I spend about 90% of my time offline, popping into HL for the occasional co-op.

rfap
02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
99.5% offline here. Stuck in 3 campaigns on the Eastern Front (Ostfront and Fau Blau). I think I have over 3000 different missions that I can fly. Thats more than Rudel did in the whole of WW2.

My FW190 seems to be a different plane online. My best success is when I fly online with a 109E

BaldieJr
02-26-2006, 06:07 PM
online is not my thing.

Longpo
02-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Mainly offline for me.

I do play online once or twice maybe every two weeks but I don't enjoy it as much.

While I enjoy offline (campaigns) they would be perfect for me if they were abit more involving and had more sense of being €œthere€ than they do now.

Praetorian_Elite
02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Since I just got the game, I have yet to even try multiplayer. Trying to get good beating the bots before trying my luck against human players.

Flyby_99
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
wellll mostly online. sometimes I fly offline in some of the campaigns just for a lark, but mainly I'm looking for death and mayhem to be wrought on unsuspecting human beings online (unless I get whacked before-hand! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )
Flyby out

Bearcat99
02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
It is interesting that so far the exclusive offline and online flyers are equal with the difference being made up in the middle.

XyZspineZyX
02-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Offline, mainly because I havnt got broadband. However I love offline campaigning with dgen & dcg, I hardly ever play the single missions, or bomber campaigns for that matter & I have just started to get into the ME110 & Western front Beaufighter & Mosquito campaigns

GSNei
02-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Currently all offline - recently switched over to a broadband connection so I might give it a try. I think I'd be more interested in the historical based stuff, but it probably is a lot of fun.

icrash
02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Only fly offline. The AI does a good enoough job at keeping my head from swelling. Just finished Zeuscat's "straight & true" and started the IJN bomber campaign but subbed in the IL2-T for the Pearl Harbor raid. Unfortunately I was real low, sneezed, & smacked the side of the battleship I was going after. Not that I'd have gotten it back on the carrier deck anyway.

Timex62
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Tell me, With only a one gig processor, 512 ram and an X-45 that has a broken hat swtch allowing 'mouse view' would online play even be possible? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

R_Target
02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Offline. I'm on a satellite connection and I don't think a 800-2000 ping will cut it for dogfighting. I've done LAN play with other humans though.

slo_1_2_3
02-26-2006, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Keep in mind that whatever offline numbers we get may be skewed.. because if they fly offline they may not even know about here.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an extremely true point and something I`m always aware of. This is why it saddens me at times to see changes made that mostly benefit onliners while offliners get little in comparison. By default, Oleg`s going to hear the Onliners in ORR, see their praises and boos and respond, but the silent majority offliners will always be a distant second...

This is why I always post mostly for offline improvements concerning things like Campaigns, AI and player-pilot immersion as these are the things that the quiet Offliner yearns for. FMs and DMs are the ONLINEr`s main priority and there`s enough of that here so i leave it alone mostly.

I am an ardent OFFLINER, but play ONLINE twice a week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
um if they dont know about "here" im thinking they dont know about the patches eitehr so whats it matter to them?
like me i didnt know nothin bout no patches for 2 -3 weels after i got pf and finally checked out the website

Monson74
02-27-2006, 12:41 AM
99% online - WC mostly but I haven't flown for a couple of months because of real life commitments http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

madsarmy
02-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Used to fly mainly online but now 90% off-line.

I'm with seaFire when it comes to off-line players. They have been neglected when it comes to campaigns & that stems right from the original IL2. It's thanks to joe public that we have some very good campaigns to keep the intrest there for off-liners.
I have never understood why UBI/1C never released a payed add-on with just campaigns.

Good Thread Bear http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Wolkenbeisser
02-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Most of the time offline (self built missions) - or building some new missions in FMB.

Every two month our small squadron (only 6 pilots) organizes a LAN-Party (sat from 1600 until sun 1600) in an old office-building.

hotspace
02-27-2006, 06:30 AM
50/50 as I alway's host a game on HL on a sunday's and play about the same offline http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-27-2006, 07:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

I am an ardent OFFLINER, but play ONLINE twice a week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg has stated more than once that online play represents less than 5% of the sales. Thus I'd have to say that most who buy this game never venture online at all for whatever reason. IMO, it's their loss.

TB

Monty_Thrud
02-27-2006, 08:28 AM
When this game came out i started offline becoming the worlds finest Olympic standard lawndart champion...

Progressed to Ubi.com online flew for 12 months or more, inbetween flying offline dabbling with FMB and thank god for UDQMG...

Moved on to Hyperlobby, played online almost everynight, for a couple of years....became slightly disillusioned by the onwhining and some of the mission and map building and weather choices/ aircraft...its become very samey...

Spend most of the time offline now, with probably 10%-20% online to keep in check of FM,

I've become addicted to FMB and the vast choice of maps, weather, aircraft and objects available...

If i may say this...online needs a fresh injection of new maps being used(which are in FMB)/ weather/ aircraft/ mission types...also there needs to be n00b(nEwB) friendly servers, with the emphasis on friendly...not Squad orientated...soloists welcomed and encouraged...as not everyone has the time or commitment to Squads

...AND...made sure that its only for this type and not a scoring ground for point *****s...but this isn't just exclusive to IL2FBaepPF, its all online games...and no, i dont think it'll happen either http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Markku38
02-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm serious offliner - I have *DSL that it's easy to play online but...

I don't know but maybe someday it's fun to go online and get a** shot out - with human player not AI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Last night started new campaign ( Hungary Bf-109 G2 ) and have fun - La-5 and me after him...it's really lowfly - well he fly damn' good and I'm after him, only thing isn't good...I'm out of ammo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif but I take it good practice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

jasonbirder
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I fly offline almost exclusively ...I really enjoy the fantastic user created Static Campaign there are out there...Many thanks to the guys that create these...they've reallyt injected life and longevity into this sim...the only trouble is the good ones have been coming too thick & fast to keep up with recently...Kondor Legion, Hurricane Season, Pfiel, Anzac and Iwo 09 are all in my "to fly tray" at the moment...
One thing...if Oleg said this...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oleg has stated more than once that online play represents less than 5% of the sales. Thus I'd have to say that most who buy this game never venture online at all for whatever reason. IMO, it's their loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we make up a whacking 95% of his market and user base then surely a little more attention from the creator for us offliners would be nice...as most of the ongoing patching/development does seem to have been focused on pleasing the online crowd...far more attention is given to new boosted versions of planes/ tweaking FM & DM`s etc...
I know the forthcoming PE2/3 pack is going to be nice...but still if its only 5% of people that fly online then giving everyone boosted versions of their favourite plans and tweaking FMs to the nth degree really shouldn't be the developers priority...

Of course the new PE2 pack thats coming is going to be good news! So I mustn't complain...and key new planes like Mossies/Tempest and the forthcoming Maps are fantastic for everyone on & offline so i don't want to sound churlish...
Its just that the Threads in ORR seem to be dominated by "This FM is porked...give us boosted/hi-octane versions" "The x-cannon is undermodelled..." When issues that like the AI being immune to overheating/G-effects seem to pass unnoticed...etc

csThor
02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Offline exclusively. Reasons:

a) 56k Modem - wouldn't want to be the one to discover warp tech http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
b) Attitude of most players is "Take-Off - Furball - Die - Repeat". I won't waste my time on that.
c) Even Online Wars are suffused by "Fighters this, Fighters that". Fighters weren't the predominant part of the real warfare and didn't make up 99,5% of the forces involved. Here recon planes, transports, bombers or GA-planes are just "fillers" and targets for the fighters.
d) Mission layout is too often "Team A vs Team B" - if I wanted that I'd play some sports game.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Mainly online in wars and coops with me squad, and some DF stuff. But I do fly quite a few QMBs for practice, and I have a few offline campaigns on the go.

JSG72
02-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Since I love Shooting Bombers down.(Been a Fantasy STURMJAEGER. for @ 40yrs now.
This Sim makes me live out the flights I have read and imagined flying)

I fly Offline.

nickdanger3
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Online.

I went through an entire Russian fighter campaign when I first got IL-2 and that was fun.

Then discovered online.

Now whenever I try to do a DiD campaign or even just a QMB mission, some lame AI maneuver sends me screaming back online.

Granted, people online (myself included) can make some pretty stupid decisions, and those aren't limited to how they fly, but I have a lot more fun.

djetz
02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
All offline for me.

I'd like to try online, but a combination of Australia and dial-up makes that impossible.

56th BMAC
02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Almost entirely online here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif
I do some QMB when a new patch is released, but then it's to HL for me. I'd rather get my a** handed to me by a human than by AI any day http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

slipBall
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
For 4 or 5 years 99.9999 offline.
SlipBall ( I was only following orders )

Zeus-cat
02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I play about 50/50. Offline is fun if you fly planes that are a challenge and mix it up. If you fly the same plane all the time you will easily outclass the AI and it won't be a challenge.

Online can be a lot of fun too. 12 of us were playing TB-3 dogfight yesterday. Soooo stupid! Soooo much fun!

mortoma
02-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I fly mostly offline because the servers and missions demand a Hyper PC to play. I don't have a hyper PC. Offline, I can set some preferences my PC can handle, when online I have no control of how many planes or ground objects there will be, let alone how much flak, ground AAA or naval AAA there will be. Usually online my PC slows to worse than a slidshow. And then throw in the lag that everyone online gets and it's just a big huge joke to me. Also online lag causes plane to float like a butterfly, fly sideways or even backwards and makes gunnery a joke since you hit when you'd normally miss and visa versa more than half the time. Not to mention planes zooming forward like the Starship Enterprse or even slowing to a crawl. Offline is just superior because there is NO LAG!!!

I'm even in the process of editing the Dgen template maps in FMB to take out more than half the flak in all places. Airbases will get two thirds removed. This will also serve the function of making ground attack missions more playable, since the ground fire is so accurate now it's nearly impossible to survive. But mostly this will improve frame rates.

Also online you have to sit there waiting or chatting for a long time until a Coop starts.
The regular dogfight servers stink too. Kill stealing online is more common than AI kill stealing. Behavior of the AI stinks but is better than some I encounter online!!!

Also, when online you can't pause the game for a phone call, a doorbell or someone calling you to dinner or whatever. Not to mention the need for use of the bathroom. <span class="ev_code_RED">Let's face it, offline is much better!!!!</span>

Treetop64
02-27-2006, 05:29 PM
After continually having my @ss handed to me, on an all too regualr basis, during online sessions, (and correspondingly never having shot down another online player), I have become an exclusively offline campaigner.

Then again, the only online seesions I've ever participated in were the death matches. I never really had that much fun in those; too random for my tastes. I might try to join a squad and fly live missions later on, though, once I get TrackIR, Team Speak, and a decent HOTaS.

Zeus-cat
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I find dogfight maps boring or just plain silly. Coops are great, especially when you get a good group of people to play with week after week and use TeamSpeak.

Prop_Strike
02-28-2006, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djetz:
All offline for me.

I'd like to try online, but a combination of Australia and dial-up makes that impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No It doesn't!...
I live in Brisbane, and had 56k dial-up. I never even tried to join on-line....didn't think I even could. One day I thought I'd try it- spawned -waited to get kicked- took off -waited to get kicked- dived into a dogfight- waited to get kicked- got my a@se handed to me -realized it was by another human being -got hooked, and now I'm addicted......anyone know a good therapist?
I did get kicked a bit, but could still manage a good session most of the time. I don't know how you would go with the new FM though.....it's worth a shot.
I got a 1.5 mbps broadband connection now though, which makes things easier.
On-line is highly recommended!http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Cadet_Bobo
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Offline Campaigns, 3rd party static and DCG. Some great 3rd party campaigns, and online coops are great too. Sip a cup to that.

Bobo

msalama
02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Well, a bit of both actually. Mostly a ground pounder, me, BTW.

Offline for gunnery and strafing practice, and for different ground target scenarios.

Online for the surprise aspect and variety, and skillful live opponents.

But FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree with what csThor said. Those kiddie furballs aren't my idea of fun either - well, yeah, they're good action sometimes but I just don't get that air-Quake mentality... I mean, if you want to have a REALISTIC air combat environment, then learn to takeoff and land properly at least fergodssakes! I'm totally fed up with bozos just flooring it and wibble-wobbling their crate off the ground every which way... the taxi- and runways are there for a REASON goddammit!!!

And the OL wars aren't necessarily any better. Many blokes are just as nervous day in day out as a schoolgirl on her first date... so they just push their pedal to the metal and keep it there, without ANY consideration whatsoever of any alternative tactics, like f.ex. taking a detour route slow and easy and then attacking from an unexpected angle and altitude... and on an escort mission, well of course they ALL run away to check out that _one_tiny_dot_ in the horizon so's to get the baddie and some all-important personal points too... and of course, this MORE clever opponent who was above them all the time then booms down and gets the bombers/transports like nobody's business http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So all in all, too much furball mentality in this game is what I'm saying! Well this _is_ a game, of course, but still... and I'm NOT saying this from a position of superiority either, because hey, I suck more than a roomful of Traci Lordses http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But hey, if you want to have realism then you've gotta start acting realistic _yourself_...

OK, rant off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS. Might've exaggerated there a bit, because not _everything_ is as bad as that of course. But U know what I mean still...