PDA

View Full Version : OT: Linux Distros and Me

Amon26
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Okay, recentley, I got ahold of a CD-boot version of knoppix and I love it. I'd like to partition a hard drive (i have 2) and be able to boot to linux. Heres where I need help. I'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to Linux, Unix, *nix... What would be a soft, nice distro that I would have the easiest time of installing/running?

I figure i'd ask here, because its not a linux-pro site so I would get more down-to-earth answers.

Amon26
04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Okay, recentley, I got ahold of a CD-boot version of knoppix and I love it. I'd like to partition a hard drive (i have 2) and be able to boot to linux. Heres where I need help. I'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to Linux, Unix, *nix... What would be a soft, nice distro that I would have the easiest time of installing/running?

I figure i'd ask here, because its not a linux-pro site so I would get more down-to-earth answers.

Obi_Kwiet
04-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Is knoppix hard to set up and learn if you've using windows all your life?

HellToupee
04-20-2005, 04:58 PM
knoppix has a installer that is pretty n00b friendly, open a root console, ither just open a normal one and type su or look form one under the K menu - > system, and type knoppix-installer i think it is just type knoppix and hit tab a few times should give you a list of things.

OldMan____
04-20-2005, 05:36 PM
For distros to be installed (not booted from CD) I could suggest Fedora and Suse. They are somehow FAT distros.. but are the more suited for an easy and soft transition from win to linux.

After you start thinking you know everything about your PC.. try Slackware and Gentoo....

Amon26
04-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Well I got Knoppix as a CD-Boot. It boots straight from the CD-Rom at statrtup. But there are some hardware conflicts. (i.e: my winmodem wont respond, same with my USB cd-burner) It is a pretty cool thing to load up and let kids or PC-destructive users freely noodle with, they can totally F#C* things up and never damage your "real" system.

I just like the x-windows interface, it gives a lot more freedom to the user (that, and I can make a much cooler looking desktop)

VV_Holdenb
04-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi
I would recommend SuSe Linux(9.2) distribution for a dual boot. Knoppix is great to load just from CD, but SuSe provided more flexibility.
I have used a number of other distributions in the past including Mandrake, Gentoo and Redhat. SuSe worked best for me, with a straight install no manual configuration and reconised all my hardware with no issues. Great for starting out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The latest edition (May) of Linux magazine cames with SuSe Linux proffesional on DVD, may be worth a go.

Aaron_GT
04-21-2005, 05:34 AM
Suse 9.3 is or is just about to be out, so I'd hold off until then if you can. There won't be much difference from 9.2, but it saves waiting for the Suse update server to update your distribution with all the patches that were added going from 9.2 to 9.3.

Lunix
04-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Ubuntu has some pretty high praise these days as being a friendly "just-works" type of a distro. Im more of a Gentoo guy though.

BBloke
04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm glad you put Ubuntu up. IIRC it also has a nice installer available too from what I read.

Here's a link: www.ubuntulinux.org (http://www.ubuntulinux.org)

Lunix
04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
LOL "Linux for Human Beings" I guess its not for me then.

VW-IceFire
04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm plotting to follow the advice of this article sometime this summer: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1751

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-22-2005, 03:45 AM
Been dual booting with SuSe now for some time but I think to be honest if you can it realy is worth making a dedicated machine so you can realy get your hands dirty.

Apart from that I have been keeping an eye on this one among others (mainly because I like the idea of running it on my Xbox one day when I can be botherd to get of my butt and chip it )

http://www.dynebolic.org/