PDA

View Full Version : American tours the Il2 plant during WWII, and flies around in one also

Jumoschwanz
11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Just finished reading Eddie Rickenbacker's autobiography. Turns out he used his then celebrity to become a leading intelligence operative during WWII. He had friends and acquaintances in Russia that gave him a tour of all kinds of military sites in 1943. He was supposed to be over there to help Russia tune up it's american made fighters and bombers, but at the same time he gathered much information that no one else had been able to get until then.

He toured the plant producing the Il2 Sturmovik, and was taken up in one for a ride. He said the pilot of the Il2 did every aerobatic manuever in the book, all at under 500 feet altitude. This scared the krap out of him and he was glad to be done with it. He was impressed with the craft and suggested to the top U.S military brass that they needed something like it.
I never would have guessed all the stuff Rickenbacker was into before I read the book. All I knew before was that he raced cars and was America's leading ace of WWI. A good read for those looking for one. S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Just finished reading Eddie Rickenbacker's autobiography. Turns out he used his then celebrity to become a leading intelligence operative during WWII. He had friends and acquaintances in Russia that gave him a tour of all kinds of military sites in 1943. He was supposed to be over there to help Russia tune up it's american made fighters and bombers, but at the same time he gathered much information that no one else had been able to get until then.

He toured the plant producing the Il2 Sturmovik, and was taken up in one for a ride. He said the pilot of the Il2 did every aerobatic manuever in the book, all at under 500 feet altitude. This scared the krap out of him and he was glad to be done with it. He was impressed with the craft and suggested to the top U.S military brass that they needed something like it.
I never would have guessed all the stuff Rickenbacker was into before I read the book. All I knew before was that he raced cars and was America's leading ace of WWI. A good read for those looking for one. S!

Jumoschwanz

ELEM
11-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Very interesting, thanks. Praise indeed. Just goes to show how good the IL-2 was.