PDA

View Full Version : Report broken, Mission 4

ZL2BMH
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Hello All.

I have been having trouble downloading and installing the patches for IL2 Sturmovik 1946 ( merged). I was in the Mission 4 webpage and noticed that, next to the downloads, the words 'report broken'. I am not up to date with computer jargon but expect that has been my trouble, the link is not working. am I correct?
Regards,
zl2bmh

VW-IceFire
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Do you mean Mission4Today.com? This website? http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

What is broken specifically? There's thousands of missions and campaigns on there for download. I imagine it's possible that a few of these now have broken links and I'm sure the administrators would appreciate knowing what specifically is broken (that would be why you would click on "Report a Broken Link")

Woke_Up_Dead
11-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Z,

No, that's not what it means. It's simply a link that users can click to notify the website admins that the link is not working. Instead of "report broken" it should say "report broken link," in other words "please click here to report to us that the download link does not work because we don't check those links everyday." It happens that I used those same links at Mission4Today to download the patches just yesterday, so I'm pretty sure they're all still working fine.

Here is the process, step by step, at a really basic level:

1) Download patch 4.08. I can't remember how big it is, I think it's about 150MB. If the file you downloaded is only a few hundred KB then you did something wrong. (to check file size, click the file you just downloaded with your mouse's right button and scroll down and click on "properties")

2) The downloaded file will be in a zipped (compressed) format. There are various ways of un-zipping it depending on the tools you have on your computer, but you should be able to get this done by double-clicking the icon, and then maybe double clicking another icon that appears afterward.

3) You will know you're on the right track when a small window pops up asking you for the location on your computer where you installed Il2-1946. It will take a guess as to where you did this, C:/program files/ubisoft, which is the default location that the DVD installs the game to. If that's the spot, then hit the "install" button and watch the progress bar fill up across the bottom of the small pop-up window. If that's not the spot, then you will have to type the location in first.

4) Once installation is complete, run your game and see if it says 4.08m in the bottom left

5) Repeat for patch 4.09

6) Repeat for patch 4.10

7) Repeat for patch 4.101

Good luck.

ZL2BMH
11-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Hello and kia Ora Woke_up_dead.

thank you for your post, and the explanation you have given, Yes, you are quite right and I understand now what 'report broken' means, is just a shame the word link was missing and I have taken it the wrong way. Thank you too for your instuctions in installing the patches. I have followed it exactly as you have said but the splash screen still says v4.07, so on reading your post I thought I'd try one more time but whoa is me, no change and I don't know why, the only difference is I downloaded the patches with M after it eg 4.08m. But I thank you you for your extremely helpful post.

VW Ice Fire, thank you for you post too, I advided the web page immediately and they replied just as quick that the link is not broken.

Oh well, I'll keep trying, I'm doing something dumb. Incidently I have the DVD and on the splash page it says v4.7, when I read the manual it say's v4.3-4.07.

Thank you once again.

Jim, zl2bmh.

ZL2BMH
11-10-2011, 10:41 PM
PS: I left out the 'M' for merged with all my versions, sorry about that.

berg417448
11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
When I installed this game on my Win 7 computer, upon the advice of posters here on this forum, I made sure to create a new folder outside of Program Files and installed the game there. (I called this folder GAMES to keep it simple). I did this because Win 7 Program Files security (UAC ?) has been known to sometimes prevent things from being updated. You could try turning your UAC off or you could try simply creating a new folder and moving the game there. No need to re-install it.

ZL2BMH
11-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you everyone, I have a grin almost from ear to ear. I took notice what you gentlemen said, found what was wrong with my install, changed it and now all the patches are confirmed as installed.

Thank you again.
Jim zl2bmh

VW-IceFire
11-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear it. Good luck! Happy gaming!