PDA

View Full Version : Petition for new "Excellent" water texture

VFA-195 Snacky
10-25-2004, 04:21 AM

VFA-195 Snacky
10-25-2004, 04:21 AM

JG54_Arnie
10-25-2004, 04:30 AM
Just use perfect with water on 2 or 1.. its fine. And should run on most cards around in this community?

From what I read here people are way to carefull on changing their graphics to something better. Everybody can experiment with their own setup and change things till they have found their own sweet spot.

LEXX_Luthor
10-25-2004, 04:34 AM
"No"

They might mess it up too so Excellent Water won't run. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyway, I grew up in Mississippi so Pacific Mud feels just like home.

HamishUK
10-25-2004, 05:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VFA-195 Snacky:
With all the talk about "Perfect" water settings it occured to me that only a fraction of the community has the specific nvidia cards needed to run the perfect water with shader 3.0

The rest of us can't afford to run out and spend $400 on a crappy nvidia card just to get shiny water or at least the shader3.0 shiny water.

The majority of us have to use what is listed in the sim as "Excellent" and it is far from it. The "Excellent" water in AEP+FB+PF looks horrible. The water textures in FS98 are better than what we get in FB right now. Since the majority of us will not be able to use shader 3.0 for quite some time can we please have "excellent" water textures updated? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play the game to fly and shoot stuff down. Not to admire the water.

ElAurens
10-25-2004, 06:30 AM
I suspect that more people than you would think have cards that will run water on the "perfect" settings.

You need to experiment. Set to "perfect" in game, then go to the confi.ini and set "Water=1" and "Trees=1".

ATI 9800 Pro cards can run the water on perfect, and they are not that expensive anymore, and the Nvidia standard (non GT) 6800 can as well.

I do understand your pain. I was playing with a Ti4400 up until a month or so ago. And the real problem is judging where the surface of the water is at low levels. That said I don't think it would be possible to raise water detail level any higher on "excellent" settings without significant frame rate hits. You must remember that the IL2 series engines calculate a whole lot more than just the surface of water.
None of the FS series have to calculate weapons trajectories or damage models, or flak, as just one example.

WOLFMondo
10-25-2004, 06:38 AM
My 9700 pro which is as old as a Geforce 4 can run perfect settings, FSAAX2 at 1152X864 with plenty going on without problems. You could probably pick one up cheaper than a 9600 pro and the powerdifference between it and 9800 pro is marginal.

Fresshness
10-25-2004, 06:51 AM
"Nay"

It sorta seems you are mixing up 'Excellent' and 'Perfect' settings?

Even people with those 6900 cards (I think it's the 6900-line) are not using 'Perfect' settings, as it will slow down the game in (intense) battles. I heard one say he/she only uses the 'Perfect' setting only for the specific task of taking screenshots, not for playing.

DuxCorvan
10-25-2004, 07:04 AM
I run excellent (Ti 4200 here) and it doesn't look so bad to me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Fresshness
10-25-2004, 07:37 AM
I went back and tried 'Perfect' settings, in my conf.ini, the water=2.

Not only that, on top of that I connected on a server with 8 people.

I didn't experience any lag whatsoever! and the water seems very nice and unlike previous version, I still get very good FPS!

Thanks for pointing this out to me ;p Now, I'm enjoying 'Perfect' settings all the time! woot!

BTW: I have a 9800Pro, running it at 1024x768, 6xFSAA, 4xAA.

VW-IceFire
10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Run Perfect mode on Water=0 and its a very low FPS hit compaired to the other types of water. Its much better than excellent.

A 6800GT player SHOULD be using this setting if they want a balance between performance and visual since their card is more than capable.

BlackPhenix
10-25-2004, 10:36 AM
If you have the right card and settings there is not a thing wrong with the water, nothing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

RocketDog
10-25-2004, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackPhenix:
If you have the right card and settings there is not a thing wrong with the water, nothing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, any of the perfect settings causes quite a dramatic loss of FPS. Even top-end cards still drop quite a bit in perfect compared to excellent.

Regards,

RocketDog.