PDA

View Full Version : What do the Periscope Triangle Colors mean in Auto TDC?

Charlie901
04-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I've seen the Triangle go from yellow to green to red, not just in that order?

What does this actually mean, cause I've had it go red or yellow even when firing from a good solution?

Charlie901
04-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I've seen the Triangle go from yellow to green to red, not just in that order?

What does this actually mean, cause I've had it go red or yellow even when firing from a good solution?

Beuf_Ninja
04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Red = no chance of making the kill
Orange = thinist of the thin (the Kate Moss of shots)
Yellow = fair chance
Green = A sure thing

Maybe even though you think you've got a good solution it's not the perfect 90 degrees straight into the side of him shot. Yellow will normally do the trick though

dquock
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
The color, as Beuf_Ninja pointed out, corresponds to how likely the kill will be.

More specifically, this reflects the gyroangle of the torpedo. The gyroangle is how much the torpedo has to turn after leaving the sub to put it on an intercept course with the target. Ideally, you want two things to happen when you are firing at a target:

1) You want to have an angle on the bow as close to 90 degrees as possible. This means that you are travelling perpendicular and are looking at the target's side.

2) You want the gyro angle to be as close to zero as possible. If your gyro angle is 0, then the torpedo will go straight out the tube towards the target.

privateschultz
04-15-2005, 10:45 PM
believe me when i tell you that 'green' in the game is not a "sure" thing, especially against warships.

dquock
04-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Hmmm. Very true. I was probably being too diplomatic there. You could have a green triangle on a stern shot at 5000 meters and chances are you will not hit.

All the color really reflects is the gyro angle of the torpedo as it leaves the tube. If the triangle is green, then it means you are within 5 degrees of firing straight. (355 - 005 gyro angle) If you couple that with a 90 deg AOB shot at a reasonable range, then you increase your chances for a good hit.

RedTerex
04-16-2005, 01:59 AM
The colours indicate the 'pheasability' of a hit in conjuction with the current solution to the target as set automatically.

Go by the below rule of thumb.

Red= NOT pheasable+Bad or impossible Gyro Angle or out of range. 100% miss
Orange=Only slightly pheasable+poor solution or poor range.
Yellow= Pheasable, good Gyro Angle.
Green= Very Pheasable, Best Gyro Angle.

Beuf_Ninja
04-16-2005, 08:27 AM
In retrospect, comments made subsequent to my own are a more accurate guide! I've never fired a shot further than 700m in my game as I'm quite happy to shadow a target for 3 hours, get in front of him and close the distance. On the subject of warships, I don't bother attcking them as my job is to starve those British pig-dogs out of the war! Then Herr Georring will soften them up in preparation for the Furhers' glorious operation Sea Lion!