PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Control Problem

SabreHawk2006
09-24-2006, 05:38 AM
Hi, I got a copy of Pacific Fighters with the graphics card that I recently bought and decided to give it a go. Unfortunately the keyboard controls aren't very practical. I like the fact that it is detailed and very realistic but that isn't the problem; I don't have a joystick and therefore I use a keyboard, but the aiming is terrible! I aim at the enemy planes and as soon as I release the cursor button I find my plane darting back to the horizon line?? In order to maintain a reasonable target on the enemy I have to be in a constant struggle tapping up and down frantically to stop my plane from darting back to the horizon line without missing my target, plummeting to the earth or stalling my engine! It is a shame because otherwise it seems to have the potential to give me a lot of fun. So I was wondering, is there a patch or some hidden config command that I can use to get rid of this problem? Or is this just the game telling me to get of my lazy bum and by a jostick lol??

Chuck_Older
09-24-2006, 06:10 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Flight sims have become sophisticated enough so that an 'up down left right' approach is not very effective

It used to be, that you could take any old 10 dollar joystick and fly around in flight sims. that time is gone. It is possible to use the keyboard, but as you have found, it is an extremely work-intensive proposition. Some players have mastered it however

But to tell the truth, there are three extremely important things in an aircraft:

Control column (stick)
throttle
rudder

There are your primary control inputs. Each is very important. It is assumed by many new players that the stick is the most important of the important, and this really isn't entirely true. Each is as important as the other, and in today's flight sims, this is modelled pretty well- you need to use these control inputs.

In other games, a joystick is plenty good enough. But this is a type of game called a simulation. It simulates the need for things such as for example, coordinated turns. That means- rudder and stick used together to make a turn

In order to effectively fly the planes, you also need throttle input. For exmple, when landing, you need to use the throttle to influence the plane's attitude as much as you use the stick

It can be quite a learning curve to understand the principles. It's not like a car that drives in 3 dimensions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This sim has some flaws like any other, but the main principles of flying are not too removed from what real pilots need to consider- using the throttle, rudder and stick to control the planes. In other words, if you think just the keyboard is not good enough, I agree. However I also feel that just the keyboard and a joystick is not good enough. The last time I got away with that combo was around 2001. Before that, a keyboard/joystick combo was great for any flight sim I'd seen. You could get away with minimal rudder inputs, and the throttle was a simple question of how fast or slow you'd like to go

Nowadays I find that having a throttle, stick, and dedicated rudder control is the bare minimum. This type of control is called a "HOTAS", which means: Hands On Throttle And Stick. The rudder control is incorporated into my throttle, as is a small joystick that I use for trimming the aircraft

Flight sims today model the need to control surface trim, the torque of piston engines, and the need for effective rudder use. It used to be that you could get away with any old stick and buzz around all day in a flight sim but in my opinion those days are long long gone

SabreHawk2006
09-24-2006, 06:15 AM
KK thanx for the heads up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jolulure
09-24-2006, 07:04 AM
If u are looking for a cheap, good and small joystick get the Saitek st90. U can find it for 15 dollars i think, and it has retractable legs with high quality.http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimages/Saitek-ST-90-JOYSTICK_173__G89Z104_20.jpg

hope it helps

LEBillfish
09-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't subscribe to the "HOTAS" is a must have concept simply because even a joysticks buttons are too far for me to reach (even the trigger as I rest the heel of my hand on the base for stability and my hands are too small).

Yet as Chuck says, a Joystick is a bare minimum. If you don't want pedals then fine, go with a twist type of stick for rudder control which works as well as pedals to get by, though no doubt pedals improve control even more.

As to the rest, you "can" use just your keyboard for everything else (once more EXCEPT FOR control of Aileron, Elevator and Rudder) even throttle though you will be limited to it's incraments (5%) yet once you have a stick that won't matter as you can most likely even control that from there and more.

If you'd like, I can post my keyboard settings which do EVERYTHING except the 3 axis listed. I myself due to hand size and the type of chair I utilize restricted as outlined above.

Bearcat99
09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Welcome aboard. You will definitely need a stick. Remember one thing when purchasing a stick. You get what you pay for. So dont go bottom of the barrel. You dont have to go top of the line either.. but expect to spend at least $4o. Having said ghat then if I were in your shoes I would consider this site (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html). I dont know what they charge for shipping..... but the EVO is a decent enough stick. If all you have is Pacific Fighters I recommend that you give it a good shot after you get a decent stick and consider upgrading to the full FB package... PF by itself is while IMO still a decent sim... as far as the flying goes... it is very limited as far as the teahters of operation available and planesets available. Hit the Sturmovik Essentisla link in my sig and then hit the "Why run as merged..." link.... You will get a better idea of what will beavaiulable to you with a fully merged version.

Lastly on the HOTAS thing..... while for some people a HOTAS is just not practical.... and while also true not a mandatory setup, anyone who has used one that is ergonomically compatible for any length of time will swear by them.. gauranteed.

FoolTrottel
09-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Here's a compromise:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/Joystick.jpg