PDA

View Full Version : What Special Features Would You Like To See In B.o.b

mozzi_hatch
05-02-2007, 06:23 PM
well just askin is there any special features people would like to see
id like to see like propeller plades shot up not just full blades
dunno any little things u guys would like to see in game ?

Choctaw111
05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Bullet ricochets off many kinds of objects, including ground, water and many other things, not just armor.

p-11.cAce
05-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Dynamic atmospherics - I want to rock and roll down final approach on a hot summer day...I want to compensate for realistic gusts and sheer...I want to get rolled and buffeted by the prop wash and vortices churning behind a box of bombers!

Of course the "FM is porked" arguments would grow ever more complex - "my cousins best friends uncles grandfather said that Spits had much better gust dampening than is modelled" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Lemky
05-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I would like to see Pay to Play in BOB

Dagnabit
05-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Just ONE plane that everyone agrees is a good plane red or blue makes no difference. But this is about the equivelant of asking the burning bush to speak to us again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Dag

Chris0382
05-02-2007, 07:37 PM
A minimap with thin borders not fat ones like 1946.

A minimap that zoome in and out with seperate commands ; not one that zooms in-out with a continous press of one key going one way and no way to get back to the previous zoom position.

A minimap that zooms with a key press so the cursor does not have to be in the map.

A minimap you can move with a hold-L-click or one that can be changed from R to L.

Skycat_2
05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Randomly effective (but usually ineffective) luck talismans. You choose what to bring in the cockpit with you, but no guarantee it will do anything ... and if it does, you'll never know the details of how it helped. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I got this idea after reading about the experiences of an Italian torpedo bomber pilot.

LEXX_Luthor
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Grass that waves in the wind.

Lexx you need a Lawnmower Sim

Okay, contrails visible at 200 kilometers distance. That's what air war is all about.

Treetop64
05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
A minimap with thin borders not fat ones like 1946.

A minimap that zoome in and out with seperate commands ; not one that zooms in-out with a continous press of one key going one way and no way to get back to the previous zoom position.

A minimap that zooms with a key press so the cursor does not have to be in the map.

A minimap you can move with a hold-L-click or one that can be changed from R to L.

Fair to say then that you don't like IL-2's minimap?

J.M.LLOYD
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
ground crew strapping you in, cleaning your windscreen giving you the thumbs up and saying
" Get one for me sir"

Treetop64
05-02-2007, 09:17 PM
The two guys spinning the starter for the 109s.

WarWolfe_1
05-02-2007, 09:28 PM
US aircraft that aren't porked!!!!

Flame on Baby http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

No really though.
I'd like to see more (correct) damage effects.

Feathered_IV
05-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Reasonably realistic night operations.

The Il-2 series is only a day-sim. Night ops are currently entirely inadequate in every possible way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

FrenziedAU
05-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm with the first poster on prop damage effects. I tested the sync of cowl mounted MG's on some plane once by starting/stopping the engine until the prop was in front of an MG. Sadly the MG fired happily away, and the prop happily sat there.

MrMojok
05-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm going to have to go with M2Morris on this one. This is a post he made a few months ago:

Originally posted by M2morris:
I want to know why when I go out and fight against the enemy that when I play-back the track I don't get to see the enemy burning and screaming to death with thier skin peeling away in a horrible ear-drum shattering screeching death cry as they plummet toward a watery grave which death has chosen for them. Then, after all the death and destruction I have so painlessly unleashed toward these unfortunate foes, I screw-up my carrer landing because of damage or some other excuse and I am forced to burn in the cockpit, and while my face melts away from my skull I watch a halucination of some heroic comrads jumping onto the damaged hulk with fire extinguishers in a brave attempt to save me and maybe drag my smoldering body from the plane, and later I wake-up to pretty nurses in white uniforms, and they are asking me if I need anything, like maybe ice cream or asparin or a 38 revolver, as I lay in my hospital bed, fading in and out of conciousness and working toward my next major goal, which may be to just hit the fly-again button, or just ask for more morphine.

That's what *I* want to experience too.

gx-warspite
05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Believable AI.

Feathered_IV
05-02-2007, 11:52 PM
To be able to quicksave your game in mid-mission.

Roblex
05-03-2007, 12:01 AM
How about little swastikas appearing on the side of my spit every time I shoot down another hun without dying? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Coul do the same with heavy bombers.

Better explosions. When I carpet bomb the docks I want to see the target obscured by billowing smoke as you do when watching RL footage. Not for ever but for 10 secs per bomb.

I also want ground targets to burn. Downed aircraft burn for ages but if I flatten a factory it just looks like last weeks damage.

To continue on this 'smoke' theme; how about 'Pathfinder' equipped mosquitoes so I can mark the targets with flares for the heavies on the way.

Bomber crew telling me they have spotted enemy fighters at 8 o'clock. Not all the time, maybe they only talk when they first see fighters in each quadrant and not again until none have not been seen in any quadrant for 1 minute.

La7_brook
05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Elevators http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Stew278
05-03-2007, 12:34 AM
AI in burning planes that actually behaves like a pilot in a burning plane. I don't know how many times I've lit a bandit up only to have them continue to dogfight. Shouldn't they RTB, bail, or ditch? Even the most zealous pilot isn't going to be able to keep fighting effectively when he's getting barbecued.

A better point/kill award system. Maybe awarding partial or shared kills.

It's crappy when you damage a bandit to the point that he's clearly a goner and someone swoops in, scores a hit or two with their peashooters, and gets the kill.

Bringing down bandits in a single pass with only .303's isn't easy so there'll be lots of people that will just hang back to pick off the crippled plane while you're coming around for another pass. Partial kills would keep you from getting completely shafted when someone pulls this.

Also, maybe something like the current gunstat data in offline missions too. I like to be able to check how lousy my shooting is, but I spend the majority of my time playing offline dynamic campaigns.

Old_Canuck
05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd like to see the empty box on my computer shelf.

Feathered_IV
05-03-2007, 01:09 AM
And bailing out in first-person perspective.

Monty_Thrud
05-03-2007, 01:09 AM
I hope there is a "Capture the Flag" option. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Useable relief tube with actual effects on performance if use of thwarted. Hangover regret vividly modeled. Terminal randiness modeled. German Weltschmerz modeled. Existential despair modeled in some French pilots. English bloody-mindedness modeled in some pilots (Moggy effect). Slavic moodiness, impulsiveness, and German-loathing modeled.

Swivet
05-03-2007, 02:33 AM
rearm/refuel?.... after you typed a quick command to the tower for assistance, a fuel truck drives over to your plane and you actually see the fuel gauge increasing, or a crew of personnel tending your plane and a small damage meter that you can enable to see the progress..just my 2 cents

GH_Klingstroem
05-03-2007, 03:03 AM
engine performance getting worse with time if u push ur engine beyond limits. That way u will have no more flying around on max setting with rads closed. and u will have to monitor ur instruments more often.
Also random engine failures, say maybe 1 in 100 or so just so u know it IS there but very unlikely just like IRL. Could be during takeoff or during climb out in the worst case scenario...

When u return damaged, u will get a patched plane with decreased performance and u will patientiously have to wait for reinforcements so u can fianlly get a new plane. etc etc..

slipBall
05-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Switch for real start-up of engine if in the mood....ability to set wind speed and direction, at my base in fmb...and throw in a wind sock too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mattinen
05-03-2007, 03:47 AM
Realistic engine sounds.

Hkuusela
05-03-2007, 03:56 AM
I would like to see better career missions. At the moment in IL-2 the mission is fly somewhere, kill or be killed and fly back if alive. You never get surprised after the first contact. There is no air traffic other than that which is directly involved in the mission (I'm not bashind IL-2, but this is one thing that is better in WoV). And the way you find the enemy is your AI wingmen shouting "indianer", when the enemy is not visible to you. You just can't be surprised! Almost all encounters are head on attacks due to this. And while at it, Oleg could improve the AI. I want to be surprised but also be able to surprise. To close in from below and behind and open fire from under 100m and tear the enemy to pieces.

Those couple of things would really improve immersion.

Rood-Zwart
05-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Convergence (sp?) settings per plane, not per pilot as we have now (like the way the skins are handeled).

ploughman
05-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Shipping that acts proper and attempts to avoid my bombs and then sinks in an appropriately lengthy, gratifying, and messy (fire, smoke, explosions) way when it fails to do so.

Ground convoys that maybe disperse if I attack them.

Those bizarre rocket fired anti-aircraft cables on parachutes that some RAF bases had.

The sunlight glinting off distant canopies.

Roblex
05-03-2007, 04:35 AM
There is no air traffic other than that which is directly involved in the mission (I'm not bashind IL-2, but this is one thing that is better in WoV).

Which missions do you mean? Offline you often see traffic that is not involved. A recent mission had aircraft on finals just as we were taking off and it is quite common to see unconnected aircraft landing soon after your mission starts.

Hkuusela
05-03-2007, 04:45 AM
But the friendly A/C have no impact, since they are not a risk for you. How many times have you encountered an enemy flight when returning from a succesful mission?

ploughman
05-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Ammo depots, trucks, trains and ships blowing up like atom bombs when they get nailed. Petrol tankers burning like petrol tankers burn when they get nailed. Oil slicks, that sort of thing.

major_setback
05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Being able to pause a track during playback, and take control of your aircraft, by jumpinig into the track (as it were)- to see if you can do better next time around http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sleepzzz.gif

Taking control of AI aircraft, for example if you yourself are shot down you could take control of another plane (I'm sure you can do this in other sims).

People doing their jobs on the airfield - ground crew, mechanics etc. Meal times should be scheduled so we can get back for tea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

ploughman
05-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Ground based guns that can shoot down hill.

Chris0382
05-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Being able to save the mission before hitting the apply button so you can replay the mission even after going on (continuing) with a campaign.

Huxley_S
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
An Interactive aircraft guide and interactive tutorials.

Also since it seems BoB is shipping with at least one 'stunt-plane' it would be good to see other game modes, such as racing and stunt flying with points awarded accordingly.

ploughman
05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Huxley_S:
An Interactive aircraft guide and interactive tutorials.

Also since it seems BoB is shipping with at least one 'stunt-plane' it would be good to see other game modes, such as racing and stunt flying with points awarded accordingly.

Very good ideas. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

To develop your second idea a trifle, perhaps we could have an air-race/air show map with a an airfield populated with bleachers etc, crowds, hot-dog stands, car parks. A slice of Reno?

Blood_Splat
05-03-2007, 09:44 AM
When my plane is hit I want my monitor to explode in my face causing burns and possible blindness.

jarink
05-03-2007, 10:07 AM
WAAFs.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

horseback
05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Realistically inaccurate ai gunners who don't/can't shoot at all when their aircraft is doing high-G maneuvers and who can be killed/disabled when you fire into their positions.

Oh, and it might be nice if bomber ai routines involved something like staying in formation when under attack to take advantage of mutual support like the real ones did, instead of climbing/rolling out of formation the moment the player got within 300m of them...

cheers

horseback

Yellow_Sub
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
1) a 300+ page manual. With it emphasis on air manoeuvres and air combat + historical titbits and not the description of the GUI.

2) a flight school.

A career shoot start with the flying school, since we probably get the training planes now. Various mission where you would learn the basic and advanced flight manoeuvres. Maybe by following your flight leader or some kind of ghost plane (like in racing games). Shooting at towed targets and learning bomb and ground attacks on the practice bombing field.

Just read a short diary account on the 'secret' Luftwaffe flying school in Russia. I think it was in Lipetsk. They were flying some Fokker X... and the Heinkel HD 21 I think. I think that would be nice.

Monty_Thrud
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, i totally agree with that penguin type chappie feller, big, BIG, BIG, plumes of smoke from ground attacks, trains, planes and automobiles...and ships and buildings, lots of eet, huge columns of smoke, and good engine sounds a must...and some nice shrubbery.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/bsamania//B25attackcolour.jpg

Scharnhorst1943
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I would like to see a keyset for "Open Bombay Doors." That and an "open canopy" for ALL planes

zugfuhrer
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
That radiators where included in the damagemodel of inline aircrafts.
6 DOF:s.

A new way of online gaming that makes the aircraft look to be where they are.

T_O_A_D
05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
More realistic DM on static ground objects including vehicles and aircraft.

As is it ruins the looks of it all to see a blacken crate, instead of broken twisted metal and such.

Moving objects in dogfight mode. We have the V1 now, so I see no real problem with coding simple things like a train, ship and cars.

Cutomizable objects in FMB, If I want to paint a sign with text and place it on a base, or name a bar, or paint the runway with its headings.

1st person bail out view, opening the canopy crawling out, and the the ability to shoot my pistol at someone trying to shoot me in the chute.

re-arm and reload in coop, and or land and 1st person view get out and get into a fresh aircraft type visually located on base or steal and enemy aircraft from base. Without going to the arming screen.

The ability to desroy base defences and capture it then take it over in dogfight mode.

I want to be able to bring a real person along to play the roal of bombadier.

Theres bound to be more. and I like several already posted.

TheGozr
05-03-2007, 01:44 PM
100 % with TOAD.

Sintubin
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I want for now al wat is beeing sayed here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Scharnhorst1943
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
If and when BOB ever goes back to the Pacific Theater, I think it would be awsome if:

-For online missions, if you land on a carrier and taxi over an elevator, the elevator will lower your plane to the hangar deck while you "Re-arm, re-fuel, or select a different plane. Likewise, when you are done re-arming/select new plane, the elevator will move, and bring your new ride up to the flight deck, where you can then unfold wings and start up engine.

Sintubin
05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Scharnhorst1943:
If and when BOB ever goes back to the Pacific Theater, I think it would be awsome if:

-For online missions, if you land on a carrier and taxi over an elevator, the elevator will lower your plane to the hangar deck while you "Re-arm, re-fuel, or select a different plane. Likewise, when you are done re-arming/select new plane, the elevator will move, and bring your new ride up to the flight deck, where you can then unfold wings and start up engine.

yeah baby that would be nice to have to ))) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

LStarosta
05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
more points!

staticline1
05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Stew278:

A better point/kill award system. Maybe awarding partial or shared kills.

It's crappy when you damage a bandit to the point that he's clearly a goner and someone swoops in, scores a hit or two with their peashooters, and gets the kill.

Bringing down bandits in a single pass with only .303's isn't easy so there'll be lots of people that will just hang back to pick off the crippled plane while you're coming around for another pass. Partial kills would keep you from getting completely shafted when someone pulls this.

Would you just settle for the person's address so you can go "visit" them for stealing your kill? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif But seriously most that was said here are great ideas, just a better AI that doesn't perform impossible manuavers, dive in a lighter less powerfull aircraft and stay with your heavier more powerful fighter. Outside of that from either the screenshots or other forums information not too much that hasn't been thought of. Improved sounds are a poor mans dream, but what would be a nice touch is some interviews of pilots from both sides and footage of the battle with a voice over would be cool.

Hanglands
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM
What features would I like to see?

Well, I know its a big ask, but THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxmXywMuV8w) pretty much sums it up for my part.

Fingers crossed then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

jarink
05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Monty_Thrud:
...and some nice shrubbery.

Did you say....<span class="ev_code_yellow">A SHRUBBERY?</span>

http://moon.felk.cvut.cz/~pisem1/blog/KnightsWhoSayNi.jpg

horseback
05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
It would be good for the kills to be awarded on a percentage basis: do 50% or more of the damage, and you get the kill.

For us offliners, the ai need to have a 'do not disturb' coding once the Player has seriously damaged an Enemy a/c; if you think it sucks to have a human player swoop in and steal credit for your hard work, you should think about what it's like when the game itself in the form of a 'friendly' ai 'bot rips you off!

cheers

horseback

ploughman
05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
How about a kudos rating (I've no idea how you'd even begin to code something like this) where you get more 'kudos' for more difficult kills. Shred a Tiger Moth with your 109 and you get a kill but slightly raised eyebrows in the mess, single handedly take down a flight of 109s in your tiger moth with your webley revolver (so to speak) and not only do you get 4 kills but you also get lots of Kudos. Kudos could be traded for the choice of the best aircraft available, sports cars, labradors, WAAFs etc.,

Choctaw111
05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Hanglands:
What features would I like to see?

Well, I know its a big ask, but THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxmXywMuV8w) pretty much sums it up for my part.

Fingers crossed then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

What a nice vid that was to see so many Lancasters in one place. I just have not seen a movie quite like that before.

ploughman
05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
There was a colour film crew that went on a Lanc raid, might even have been to Berlin. That's from that film if I recall. I remember seeing it on TV in the 1980s sometime along with a similar colour film of a B-17 raid.

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's where you can get a mint print on DVD gents:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/203-0197731-17...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/203-0197731-1774371?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=night+bombers&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go)

Chris0382
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Instant Mission Reload like Doom3.

A key to satrt a mission 1 mile from nearest enemy.

Roblex
05-04-2007, 12:04 AM
There was a colour film crew that went on a Lanc raid, might even have been to Berlin. That's from that film if I recall. I remember seeing it on TV in the 1980s sometime along with a similar colour film of a B-17 raid.

The most awesome bomber footage I have seen was the stuff taken on one of the Ploesti strikes. For those not familiar with Ploesti, it was a low level strike on a huge Oil Refinery in Romania. We destroyed half the factory but unfortunately as the factory was only working at 50% efficiency it made little difference. Anyway, it is amazing to see actual footage taken out of the side windows of bombers flying 50 ft alongside amongst burning buildings & chimneys or from the cockpit of the planes ahead flying between two chimneys into a dense wall of black smoke.

see http://www.b17sam.com/ploesti.html

Tusseladden
05-04-2007, 05:46 AM
I'd like to see fires of different sizes with a chance to grow or fade away. A growing fire may also spread to other compartments of the plane and cause damage to the components there.

I'd like to see better smoke, fume and spray effects.

I'd like to be able to have someone sit in the pilot's position, and somebody else to sit as a bombardier.

I'd like to see more realistic tracers in better colors and accurate amounts.

I'd like to see sporadic defensive gunfire, instead of superaccurate AI that hit your face in a 3 o clock high deflection shot doing 500 km\h.

Monty_Thrud
05-04-2007, 06:59 AM
That refuel and re-arm is a good idea, also...how it would be implemented, i don't know.

T_O_A_D
05-04-2007, 07:00 AM
I also would like the ability to bore site my guns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/Aircraft%20Pics/t40.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/Aircraft%20Pics/noram-at6guns.jpg

I made a mission for it, but it would work alot better if I could jack up my aircrafts tail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/IL2%20AEP%20PF%20pics/Gunrange.jpg

I'd also like to have moving personel on ground around the base. So the game have a feel of life in it instead of so static, when on base.

Feathered_IV
05-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Better mission variety. Proper recon missions with the ability to take photographs. Medivac with Storches etc. Artillery observation and more...

Chris0382
05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Missions were cities and towns mentioned in the breifing are actually also on the map. Many times I read a briefing that mentions landmarks towns etc not even on the map.

jarink
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
On a serious note, I'd like to see more realistic AAA and bomber gunners (cone of fire intead of the snipers whe now have).

Hanglands
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Here's where you can get a mint print on DVD gents:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/203-0197731-17...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/203-0197731-1774371?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=night+bombers&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go)

Yes Thats exactly the one. Night Bombers. An amazing insight provided by a man who recorded one day in the life of a bomber station. Not scripted, just recorded as it really was.

Bits of it were taken and used in Target For Tonight, but Night Bombers is truly outstanding.

What I was getting at though was a sim that has the necessity to do a proper pre-flight check, the consequences of which might be random faults such as magneto drop etc.

And yes I'd like the Lanc please, and yes I'd like mass formations, but I really would like to be able to taxi from dispersal.