PDA

View Full Version : Dx 10 and 9

tecmobowl
04-22-2008, 04:48 AM
does the game automatically determine which direct x to use? I upgraded from a x1950pro to hd3870 the game looks a lot better, but I still wonder if i have to switch it manually to DX 10?

Thanks,

tecmobowl
04-22-2008, 04:48 AM
does the game automatically determine which direct x to use? I upgraded from a x1950pro to hd3870 the game looks a lot better, but I still wonder if i have to switch it manually to DX 10?

Thanks,

revoltingbunny
04-22-2008, 07:09 AM
no idea... buy you're very welcome

dnottis
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tecmobowl:

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the launcher does. You could always go into the game folder and launch the .exe you want (dx9 or dx10).

Sheathanaich
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Tecmobowl, if you go into the directory where you installed AS you will see three(3) game launchers; one for DX9 another for DX10 and then a launcher that if used will always look for updates first...Make a shortcut to each to your desktop...another little trick is when you have made the short cuts right click on them and under compatibility disable visual themes and disable desktop composition, all this does is revert vista (If your running Vista that is)to Vista basic whilst your game is running.Giving back some needed resources for the game.

tecmobowl
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the information. It is helpful. Also I am running windows XP. I was running a dual boot set up for a while but decided it was more efficient to run XP alone.

the_assassin_07
04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Sometimes it doesn't automatically detect what Dx type you need. I've examined numerous threads that state they have a problem when all they needed is to change the Dx type by doing what "Sheathanaich" said.

caswallawn_2k7
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
windows xp doesnt do DX10 so you can get any graphics card you want but you will never get DX10 till you get vista.

Sheathanaich
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
DX10 for XP just might be in the works, a programmer by the name of "Cody Brocious" by using the DX10 SDK has reversed engineered the application to run on XP...Signs are looking quite good..Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by linking to the post, but here is the page in full.
http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

I really do wish Cody the best of British in this endeavor. Remember it's still very much in "Alpha" working as an example through the SDK.

caswallawn_2k7
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
there is a chance they can RE DX10 for but the code will be buggy as suport for it is coded into the main vista files to try to stop people moving it to xp.

drego5
04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
DirectX 10 is ONLY available for Vista. So if you have Vista, it'll use the Dx10.

The highest version of DirectX that's available for XP, is 9.0c.

But yes, the Launcher will automatically choose which one to use, as well as getting any applicable updates.

EDIT:
Damn, late to the party. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

BTOG46
04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheathanaich:
DX10 for XP just might be in the works, a programmer by the name of "Cody Brocious" by using the DX10 SDK has reversed engineered the application to run on XP...Signs are looking quite good..Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by linking to the post, but here is the page in full.
http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

I really do wish Cody the best of British in this endeavor. Remember it's still very much in "Alpha" working as an example through the SDK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The problem is, Vista and Dx10 handles Video memory in a totally different way to XP and Dx9, so some features can only be emulated, and not actually executed in the hardware.
This may result in some slow down on less powerful systems.

tecmobowl
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I am going to install my Vista Ultimate x64 again in a dual boot set up. Anyone have any suggestions on how to migrate my progress from AC to my new install?

BTW the ALKY project is shut down and the DX10 download for XP is hard to come by.

Thanks for all the feddback!

spazzoo1025
04-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I love you...