PDA

View Full Version : Flash Backs!

WilhelmSchulz.
12-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Im in BF13 and a bunch aircraft come out of nowhere. I shoot sevral down and one lands just a meter or 2 away from my bow. Now thoes of you who where here a few months ago renember Bart Mancuso my former Kluen, died due to a air craft crashing on my stern. Flash backs.(shivers)

Ratek
12-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Just tonight I made a harrowing escape from Scapa Flow (bagged myself a KGV and a Fiji http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif), on the way out nearing the last island to the west, and preparing to go north around it I got attacked by an Elco (actually I sufaced to have a little fun with him, wanted to try my 37mm out against a boat), sank it easily, but soon it was literally swaming with Sunderlands. I mean there must have been more than 20 of them and I had to twist and run and do all kinds of things to evade their bombs (luckly they soon ran out and I only had to worry about machineguns). There were so many that at least four pairs collided... And here comes the bad part... two collided right above me and came tumbling down. I thought it was over for me, but they landed in the water just in front of the bow. The water being very shallow meant they stuck out of the water and given I sailed 21 knots I banged right into them. The sound was similar to when you collide with a ship and I thought once more that I would cripple the boat. Luckily they caused no damage...

But, wooo that was scary. And to top it I ran straight into a Hunt II as soon as I had blasted the last attacking Sunderland (three damaged planes kept their distance and an eye on me). I got him with an electric magnetic torp, but didn't get any claim eventhough it blew up like a can of petrol.

Schiffmorder
12-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I love the anti air aspect. two patrols ago I was off Gibraltor in my IXb with two double barreled 20mm and rated gunners and officer. I made almost triple ace in one day shooting down Swordfishers and 1 PBY. So far I have found the PBY to be very deadly, and I was lucky to kill that one before it got me first.

NaturalBornGoth
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah... shooting down planes is a two-edged sword. I had a close call too, although not quite as close as your's. But it was scary nonetheless!

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8792/sh3img30112005227157496gr.th.jpg (http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sh3img30112005227157496gr.jpg)

The_Silent_O
12-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Ratek:
Just tonight I made a harrowing escape from Scapa Flow (bagged myself a KGV and a Fiji http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif), on the way out nearing the last island to the west, and preparing to go north around it I got attacked by an Elco (actually I sufaced to have a little fun with him, wanted to try my 37mm out against a boat), sank it easily, but soon it was literally swaming with Sunderlands. I mean there must have been more than 20 of them and I had to twist and run and do all kinds of things to evade their bombs (luckly they soon ran out and I only had to worry about machineguns). There were so many that at least four pairs collided... And here comes the bad part... two collided right above me and came tumbling down. I thought it was over for me, but they landed in the water just in front of the bow. The water being very shallow meant they stuck out of the water and given I sailed 21 knots I banged right into them. The sound was similar to when you collide with a ship and I thought once more that I would cripple the boat. Luckily they caused no damage...

But, wooo that was scary. And to top it I ran straight into a Hunt II as soon as I had blasted the last attacking Sunderland (three damaged planes kept their distance and an eye on me). I got him with an electric magnetic torp, but didn't get any claim eventhough it blew up like a can of petrol.

wouldn't want to be in your goulashes!

Sunderland Party...Whoo Hoo!

Celeon999
12-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Actually it was planned that shooting down planes wouldnt been necessary in ww-2.

In 1933 german researches discovered a race of small nasty creatures living in the Hürtgen Forest.

These creatures who lived in caves claimed that their alikes are called Gremlins.

See Pic

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/3495/465pxnecastripegremlins20yfare.jpg

Although the fundamental rejection of all forms of discipline seemed to be founded in the nature of these Gremlins , some wehrmacht recruiting officers were able to convince them to join the german army.

The gremlins showed a great interest into all kinds of mechanics and motors (escpecially airplanes) and ways to...... jamm or destroy them.

After accomplishing an intense training in sabotage tactics from 1937 to 1939 , thousands of them were brought to britain and france to attack the enemy war industry.

Although they werent so succesful as planned some of them are even today living in british , france and american motors and machines.

As the war ended in 1945 the gremlins rejected all orders to capitulate and are still proceeding an guerillia sabotage war since then.

Amnio
12-08-2005, 10:27 AM

Sneaking in an out of the tight confines of Scapa in an IX no less! Such a big fish in such a small pond. Nice work Ratek.

Bet the mood aboard the u-boat lightened alot when that torpedo found its mark. Could've made for an interesting encounter though, an IX sub, a Hunt II DD and 15m of water... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ratek
12-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah... I could barely dive, so when I was discovered there was little chance I could survive the bombers, and I absolutely HAD to kill that Hunt... If I had missed I would have been forced to gun it out. I think I could have won, but damage would have been intensive at the very least.

On the way in two other Hunts had been sniffing me out so I had to take them out too (how I sighed with relief that I had brought electrics in good numbers).

But those Sunderlands... My dear... I even had an encounter with some off the Hebrides, and lost an able seaman. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
On my way out of Spaca Flow all three of my qualified gunners got wounded. The water was litterally white with impacts practically all the time. I thought I would suffer 15 losses, but luck was on my side and the gunners were accurate enough to save my boat.

I take it you deducted it was a IXB from the AA equipment?

Amnio
12-08-2005, 04:16 PM
I take it you deducted it was a IXB from the AA equipment?
Yeah, I believe the only time the KGV is in port is during '42 or earlier, so only the IX would have the conningtower to fit a 37mm. Also, if I'm not mistaken the 21 knots would also give it away as an IX. Last, but not least, you've used an IX in the stories you've written earlier.

Speaking of flakguns and qualified personel: I just realized that the order my men are listed in the flakposition on the crewscreen affects which guns get better accuracy/fire rate.

In my current VIIC I only have 2 flak petty officers, so since I have two light and one heavy mount I have to use two sailors to fill the compartment. The compartment is still listed at 100% though. The autoassign give the elite crew the light flak and the sailors take the heavy flak, so here I've not been giving the 37mm much credit at all because it was so slooooow and it turns out that it was all a small mistake in the manning of the guns. With the proper crew that thing turned out to be quite the Sunderland removal tool.

Thanks for the (somewhat indirect) tip. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ratek
12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah... The 37mm really becomes quite fast with a qualified man on it.

I have three (and the officer of course), so I tend to let the two lights have one each and the 37mm have one of each. I don't think it becomes even faster with two qualified gunners.

Following planes on approach with the camera is fun (though I'm experiencing an odd bug of the camera behaving like a bird at times). You can hear the 37mm popping closeby at a rather fast pace... I'm beginning to wonder if the AP rounds might actually be better (haven't seen any planes get damaged by shrapnel yet), but I have yet had a target to test it at (it could also be lousy given it does not have much 'pop' in it).

Out of Scapa the 20mm guns had in total aaround 1200 rounds left. A fourth of what they had when I set out from Brest (yup have increased AA ammo a bit). But that makes sense, they were firing non-stop for several minutes as the Great Sunderland Armada attacked.