PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Settings question

IZT
05-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4
GeForce 8800GTX
2GB Ram

What graphics settings do i set?

right now all i select is max direct x settings.

i have not played this game for a long time until i jsut recently got il2 1946. I remember last time in pacific fighters i could make the water of the ocean use pixel shader 3.0 ro something by editing something, that and perfect textures.

Can anyone tell me all that i need to edit/set to get the BEST possible graphics? Thanks!

dbillo
05-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Run il2setup.exe (found in game folder) and on the first tab, the Driver tab, make sure you have selected OpenGL in the Provider pulldown (you can't get Perfect landscape in DirectX mode), and a 32 Bit resolution in the Video Mode box, whatever your monitor will run. And make sure to check Use Stencil Buffer (can't get Perfect landscape without that either).

Go to the next tab, the Video tab, and select Custom in the Settings pulldown. Select anisotropic for Texture mipmap filter, select None for Texture compression, then check these boxes:

Multitexture
Combine
Secondary Color
Vertex Array Extension
Texture Anisotropic Extension
Texture Compress ARB Extension

Click OK to save.

Then find your conf.ini and open it in notepad. Scroll down to the bottom to the [Render_OpenGL] section:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=4
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

Check that the numbers match the above. They should already for the most part. If you have a graphics glitch with water=4 (a black arc under your aircraft) then try water=2. Try water=3 and see if you like it better, too.

Other than that, you could go to the nVidia driver control panel, and set your Anisotropic Filtering, and Antialiasing as high as they will go. Turn on Vsync to eliminate cockpit tearing and enable triple buffering.

I may have missed something, but that should get you at or near the best image quality possible. Hopefully, your frame rates will still be high.

IZT
05-26-2007, 12:56 PM
is there a way tog et this game to run in widescreen mode?

MaxMhz
05-26-2007, 01:18 PM
To set widescreen mode, set the following values under the [window] header:
[code]
width= <your width>
height=<your height>
ChangeScreenRes=0 if running game in same res as desktop, =1 to set the resolution from width/height

FullScreen=1

SaveAspect=0 to get rid of black bars left/right

Note conf.ini is case-sensitive, don't use leading spaces.

IZT
05-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow thanks guys.

Can i ask is there any difference between opengl and direct X? Which is better actually
?

IZT
05-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Okay ims till having a problem. the game doesn't seem to run from the settings in the conf.ini file?

dbillo
05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
OpenGL is almost always better. The game is created for OpenGL, and you can't get the Perfect Landscape and water unless you run it in OpenGL.

When you say the game isn't running from the setting in the conf.ini file, are you referring to setting a widescreen resolution or something else?

IZT
05-30-2007, 08:12 AM
What widescreen re****ion does this game support?

mines a 1440X900 native, but i can't seem to run it on that when adjusting the conf.ini

dbillo
05-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Try these for your conf.ini settings:

[window]
width=1440
height=900
ChangeScreenRes=0
FullScreen=1
SaveAspect=0