PDA

View Full Version : Newbe needs help

EAF19_Aceman
08-08-2006, 07:05 AM
I have just received my copy of SH3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
During a patrol i look at the map and follow that, the red ship pops up and i plot in a intercept and search pattern in front of it. Im now on my 3rd patrol and havnt fired a torp yet. Please help guys, any hints and tips

baggygreen
08-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the game and the forums mate! you're hooked now, whether you know it or not!

theres a sticky, at the top of the forum, for new people to the game. its got a whole bunch of links to manuals, mods, the works! Take a peek through there, there should definately be some countless pages of info in there for you, certainly in a lot more detail than you can get from someone posting a reply for you

zoinks_
08-08-2006, 11:30 PM
the ship contacts are just approximately where those ships have been sighted. they can change course sometimes to head to a port, etc.

i plot a course to head them off then dive to periscope depth and use the hydrophone (h key). cut engines to slowest speed or off then listen for ship contact. turn the up volume knob in the lower right of the hydrophone and scan in all directions to find contacts. you can click and drag the needle to rotate hydrophone.

i dive every few hours and listen and find many contacts that don't ever get reported on the map.

also, watch the speed of the sighted ship. slow moving ships are deceiving. i plot a course to get far ahead of them then turn and approach them head on, diving to hear them on the hydrophone. i don't chase a medium speed ship if it is too far. chasing a far away contact is sometimes hopeless.

tip: i really turn up the volume on my speakers when i use the hydrophone and pick up some long distance contacts i would normally never hear.

hueywolf123
08-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, hunting ships is an art form. Some of us have works in the Tait Galleries, some in the local 7-11. It does not matter, you will get better. Between each patrol, try the academy to polish your skills, learn to follow targets by hydrophone etc