PDA

View Full Version : 1946 - UK edition

BrotherVoodoo
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
I used them a couple of years ago. They gave me a headache unfortunatley after only 20 mins or so of use. It was a cool effect seeing the cockpit in 3d however. At the time it did work with IL2, I'm not sure on the current release. Note that you needed to have a fairly high refresh rate on the monitor or you would see a constant flicker. Unless you get it really cheap and just want to experience the 3d cockpit and the headache I would not recomend it. It was more of a gimmick to me.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Hyperlobby name: 99th_RockStar

There are only two types of aircraft ??? fighters and targets.

??? Doyle 'Wahoo' Nicholson, USMC.

llaneilian
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I didn't suffer from headaches, but the way in which the goggles work halves the frame rate &, as BrotherVoodoo states you need a high monitor refresh rate to avoid flickering.

All in all, an interesting novelty but save your money & buy TrackIR.

leitmotiv
10-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I, unfortunately, bought it and their force-feedback headset. Junk. Neither worked.

Wilburnator
10-31-2006, 10:44 PM
I bought them a while back and although technically they did work, I considered them to be pretty much a useless gimmick. I don't believe they have anything at all to do with the TrackIr people, other than the fact that eDimensional happens to also sell the TrackIr at their site.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/wilburnator/353rd-Animated-sig.gif

My FB movie on youtube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wpdn6Y65WOU)

Darkbluesky
11-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I use them from several years ago. They are a good compromise between quality (size of glasses) and price, IMO.

It is true that there are some people that get headhaches when seeing stereoscopic (aka 3D effect) (note that it is not a problem of this glasses, is a problem of creating a 3d image in your mind using two fake images), but they are very few. I use them 2 or 3 hours or more continuosly and no problem.

About recommending the effect I say YES, this together with TIR is the most immersive option you can get for the price in a flight sim or any other game. Period.

Some people say the effect is not enough, or it is a gimmick or just a funny thing to try. Keep in mind that some people is not as amused by the 3d effect as others, no matter if it is done in your PC, in view-master or in the IMAX 3D, for them is simply a gimmick. On the other hand I know many people that when see it they are really hooked by the fantasy to feel like IN-game.
Here there are people that likes FB more about the recreation of historic aspects and amusing of playing than for the graphic side, so 3d effect is only a funny thing that do not worth the money, effort, etc.
All these opinions are very respectable, I only mean that you shall take all the advices (including mine) with a grain of salt until you can test them for yourself. It is up to you.

Personally, after getting them I do not play FB anymore without TIR+3D Glasses.

The feeling to be IN the cockpit and seeing that de cockpit glass is really out there, at the middle of depth, is specially impressive when seeing oil or bullets on it. Specially impressive for me to see all levers, reticle and sticks at the right place. I'll never forget what I felt when began the Normandy Niemem campagin in the Yak-1. I felt just like being there...

Stop dreaming. The reality is also hard:

1-Although edimensional says that their glasses work for any grafic card, it is not as nice as it sounds.
In order to work in 3D you need stereoscopic drivers. There are only two ones out there at your disposal.
1.1- ED ones. They are supplied only with ED glasses. Theoretically they work with all gfx cards. I tested them with Matrox. They worked well...when they worked. Currently I am not sure about their behaviour. The problem is that they use a method of 3d which produces loss of half of resolution. The right eye image is drawn in the even horizontal lines and the left eye image in the odd lines, thus making a bit difficult to read small fonts and reducing depth effect. The images are showed alternatively & synced with the glasses.
1.2- The other drivers are from NVIDIA. These are the "good" ones. They are free. They have not half resoultion loss. They show alternatively the full right and left eye images synced with the glasses. The effect is total. As you can guess they work only with Nvidia cards. Note: SLI support is *in the works* but currently only few games take advantage of it in stereo.

2-You need a CRT monitor or a DLP projector (that could work in 3D, not all DLP projectors work). ED claims that their glasses can work with LCD. This is, also, not so nice. It is a bit difficult to make it work in LCD although people has achieved it for some games. And also this means that if you are going LCD you must stay with interlaced stereoscopic mode (loss half of resolution)

3-Some games have compatibility issues. IL2-PF related:
3.1-IL2 (the original) was superb in 3D.
3.2-FB before AEP was also superb (in OGL) if you use Perfect landscape, otherwise it showed some gfx issues.
3.3-With AEP, some trees and some bombs (when hooked in the wing) are placed in bad depth, so you can see some trees in front of the rest of the world, when flying low. Also runways are bad depth placed so you see them twice.
3.4-With PF, still the same issues until now.

I still use it in 3d, but these issues should be fixed by Oleg. Actually they should be, IMO, pretty easy to fix. It seems that it is only matter of changing z-index of these objects.

4-Refresh rate. If you play at 1024x768 many CRTs allow to go up to 100 Hz, which means 50 per eye. Please, note that although you go with 85 Hz (42.5 Hz per eye), which seems low and fatiguing, actually it is not. Note that if you set the monitor to 40 Hz is fatiguing, but running stereo at 80 Hz (40) it is not. It has something to see with the fact that each eye see each image 1/80 seconds and a black frame 1/80 and then the next frame 1/80...not 1/40 seconds each image.

5-Fps hit. As the gf card must generate two frames for each one of the originals, it has a fps hit. But it goes from 32-45% generally. In some games you can see 20% or even 50%, but they are not the most of them. BTW, as the brain merge both images, it makes a kind of AA & AF filtering, so there is no need to keep on these settings in your gfx config.

Of course this effect works with many other games. FarCry is specially stunning in 3d

I hope I have made myself clear

Dexmeister
11-01-2006, 07:02 AM
If you're interested in experiencing something really amazing, and then soonafter shelving the glasses since they're essentially a pain in the arse to deal with, then go for it. It's a wild sensation, but other than that I'd say don't bother.

NP_Vincent
11-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Just to reiterate, they are not made by Natural Point.

SidCheshire
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Darkbluesky sums up the practicalities nicely. I used them with a CRT for a couple of months last year then changed nvidia drivers - the 3d and card need to be compatable. I also found graphical anomilies as described by Darkbluesky, in particular black patches in the textures on land and sea.
I now have an LCD, so I doubt very much that they will get used again although I must admit that the in-cockpit effect in the Bf110, A20 and J8A was very good.
At the time I bought them, it was a toss-up between the glasses and a TIR3. Wrong choice...but now i have TIR4 and the glasses are shelved. That alone must say something.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Well, whadya know...no more buwwets!"

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/SidCheshire/a_aniahco.gif

Flowbee602
11-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Darkbluesky has really covered the reply very well.

I've been using them since they first came out and with a few key presses during the game they can be tweaked to perfection. I would highly recommend them and unless you have friends around watching over your shoulder then get the wired ones.

Some games work better than others and they aren't really suited to the current incarnation of PF. IL2 works great. As do Microsoft's CFS games.

Company of Heroes is simply outstanding and along with Silent Hunter III and the Codename:Panzers and Monte Christo DRvsAk, 1944 Battle of the Bulge series they are guaranteed to drop anyone's jaw.

For the price, the experience they afford is too good to miss out on.

Remember though that a refresh rate of 100Hz on a good CRT and an NVidia card are pretty much a prerequisite unless you can handle disappointment.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://uk.geocities.com/wmcmillan@btinternet.com/602flo.jpg http://uk.geocities.com/wmcmillan@btinternet.com/flomed1.jpg

Darkbluesky
11-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee602:
Company of Heroes is simply outstanding and along with Silent Hunter III and the Codename:Panzers and Monte Christo DRvsAk, 1944 Battle of the Bulge series they are guaranteed to drop anyone's jaw.

Hi, how do you deal with SH3 HUD? I'm working in a solution, but it's still far away.

BTW, maybe we (stereo gamers) should sign a letter to Oleg to fix the FB iussues and prepare SOW:BOB to be fully compatible. I was thinking in write down a short description of the problems to 1c. What do you think?

Hoatee
11-07-2006, 06:26 AM
The true 3d environment is something that

Hoatee
11-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Problem resolved (my fault).

Darkbluesky
11-10-2006, 01:12 PM
It's strange.

You always can mail them, although the page should work correctly, of course. They always answer in a reasonable time (same or next working day). At least for me.

Hoatee
11-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Well,

I tried again (a day later) and this time my credit card is said to be at fault (which is absolute bs). And at the alternative more local link there is no option for payment by credit card.

So I give up (decision is partially influenced by some pretty negative comments about them anyway) for now and hope that sometime in the near future somebody out there will bring out some 3d glass technology that is both affordable and more easily attainable!

ps it's ok now, glasses are on their way and it was my mistake.

Buster_Dee
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I have not been able to make them work since Forgotten Battles. I loved the effect, but was an even worse marksman. I seem to recall that they still work ok with some older games like Medal of Honor. I have a TFT flat screen now. From what I'm getting from these comments, I guess they would not work so well now.

But I did really enjoy them for about a year, even with a bit of the headache problem. It was so much fun that I just gutted it out. Like I said, though, I was an even worse marksman.

WTE_Galway
11-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Buster_Dee:
I have not been able to make them work since Forgotten Battles. I loved the effect, but was an even worse marksman. I seem to recall that they still work ok with some older games like Medal of Honor. I have a TFT flat screen now. From what I'm getting from these comments, I guess they would not work so well now.

But I did really enjoy them for about a year, even with a bit of the headache problem. It was so much fun that I just gutted it out. Like I said, though, I was an even worse marksman.

Actually I was told ehy would not work with a TFT flat screen at all .. only an old style glass CRT. Not sure if that is true or not.

Flowbee602
11-16-2006, 04:28 AM
how do you deal with SH3 HUD?

I haven't played it for a while but I think the solution is the same as in Company of Heroes. Just press CTRL-F5 until it's perfect.

There is a pdf document by Nvidia available for download which explains which buttons to press and their effect for 3D. I've long ago lost mine but CTRL-F5 pretty much fixes it for me. If you still have problems experiment with the other CTRL and function keys and also ALT plus funtion keys.

The degree of 3D can be changed by CTRL-F3 and CTRL-F4 while in the game. It should only take about a minute to get it working for any particular game. SH3 is stunning but the default is way out initially so keep pressing for a while and everything comes right into focus including the HUD. Like I said, I think the important key press is CTRL-F5. GL!

Note: I've just loaded up SH3 to check it out and the 3D is no longer working for me. It is either because I've patched the game since it was released or since first playing it in 3D, I've changed my 3D drivers. Now I absolutely have to get it working again but without spoiling COH which is my current little gem. First off I'll do re-install to take the patches out of the equation.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://uk.geocities.com/wmcmillan@btinternet.com/602flo.jpg http://uk.geocities.com/wmcmillan@btinternet.com/flomed1.jpg

Darkbluesky
11-18-2006, 07:02 AM
About SH3, I use 91.47 set of drivers and it works well. I must remember to actuvate the option of synchronized in video options.

I run it 1.4b version + Grey Wolves supermod 1.1a (it works also with stock SH3)

About the Ctrl+F5, yes, I know. Together with F6 it is the convergence setting, so when pressing Ctrl+f5 you are reducing the convergence until HUD is correct. I was looking for a solution with high convergence (so more impressive effect)

Agree with Buster_Dee, FB in 3D is really a not-forgetting-experience. And about TFT use I have not tested it personally. But people says it is still not really an excellent solution yet. Some games work and some others not...

Hoatee
11-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Stuff is on the way now (my mistake).

Darkbluesky
12-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Hello,

I was today about to buy the new 1946 sturmovik. But as I saw on the news of the home page,

"1946 includes:

The PE-2 campaign
The Sturmoviks over Manchuria campaign
The 1946 campaign (after one we name the product)
A detailed 450 pages long Plane Guide (in UK only)
Exclusive videos making of videos (in UK only)
Exclusive glance at Storm of War??? Battle of Britain "

The 'UK only' means that these characteristics are only for UK or also for editions of the rest of europe?
Because if it is only for UK I'll buy it via inet to UK, otherwise I'll wait to get it here in Spain (at least the box will be in spanish)

Thanks a lot!

Yellow_Sub
12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Unless they have a printed manual in the UK, 'UK only' should have been 'English only'. Since we've got the video and the manual as a .pdf file in the 'German' (multi-lingual) edition. Both is in English.

Scorpion.233
12-15-2006, 05:24 PM
UK only means only english language.

Darkbluesky
12-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Ok,thank you. So I can now buy it here in my country without fear of being lossing something that UK people have...

Thanks!

RamsteinUSA
12-17-2006, 12:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Origin