PDA

View Full Version : Time limited puzzles

Myst-Hic
11-10-2004, 08:35 AM
[Time limited puzzles]. For me also, patch 1 does not seem to modify delays (Spire chair sliders, mangree's totem, etc€¦). I checked the correctness of my deductions, and I know what to do, but I CAN'T! On a Powerbook Mac with a track-pad and the click button, even after trying all possible settings, I never succeeded. Perhaps€¦ I am too bad€¦ and I stopped playing!

Any chance for A PATCH COMPLETELY DESABLING TIME LIMITATION ??

As often reported in forums, the pleasure of most Myst gamers is an excitation of the brain€¦ NOT of the fingers!
Please consider this request as a main issue. Surely, I am not the only one.
Waiting for patch 2, in case of€¦
Thanks.

And to summarize :
Powerbook Mac (PowerPC G4), Mac OS X (10.2.8), 512 MB, 800 Mhz
Video ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32 MB) €" track-pad.
(No other software running in the background).
No problem for installation (except a long delay before licence window opens)
After applying patch 1: no more graphic defects in Spire and Haven. Some coloured blocks remain in the first age, but they do not interfere with the game. No problem with videos.
Drawings are gorgeous, and the atmosphere impressive. BUT my main problem is caused by the time-limited manipulation (apparently not solved by patch 1, see above. Did I miss something?).
When quitting, a windows pops-up, telling (each time) that Myst has quitted unexpectedly.

Myst-Hic
11-10-2004, 08:35 AM
[Time limited puzzles]. For me also, patch 1 does not seem to modify delays (Spire chair sliders, mangree's totem, etc€¦). I checked the correctness of my deductions, and I know what to do, but I CAN'T! On a Powerbook Mac with a track-pad and the click button, even after trying all possible settings, I never succeeded. Perhaps€¦ I am too bad€¦ and I stopped playing!

Any chance for A PATCH COMPLETELY DESABLING TIME LIMITATION ??

As often reported in forums, the pleasure of most Myst gamers is an excitation of the brain€¦ NOT of the fingers!
Please consider this request as a main issue. Surely, I am not the only one.
Waiting for patch 2, in case of€¦
Thanks.

And to summarize :
Powerbook Mac (PowerPC G4), Mac OS X (10.2.8), 512 MB, 800 Mhz
Video ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32 MB) €" track-pad.
(No other software running in the background).
No problem for installation (except a long delay before licence window opens)
After applying patch 1: no more graphic defects in Spire and Haven. Some coloured blocks remain in the first age, but they do not interfere with the game. No problem with videos.
Drawings are gorgeous, and the atmosphere impressive. BUT my main problem is caused by the time-limited manipulation (apparently not solved by patch 1, see above. Did I miss something?).
When quitting, a windows pops-up, telling (each time) that Myst has quitted unexpectedly.

maztec
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
See the quote from Pat here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=774101533&m=1431074532&p=1

It explains why the timing can't simply be removed.

Maz

Myst-Hic
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
See the quote from Pat here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=774101533&m=1431074532&p=1

It explains why the timing can't simply be removed.

Maz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Maz
Thanks for showing me the way. I have not too much time to search help for games (for me, game is relax, and I think that I lost more time on Myst forums than on playing the game€¦).
OK€¦ I read with interest all the threads indicated above.
First€¦ Please Maz, don't say that I have "motion disabilities, poor coordination, or a few extra years under the belt"€¦ That's not the case!

Then €¦ What can be said?

1- As pointed out by "mennsa", I completely agree with the fact that
"If I were actually sitting in the spider chair I'd have no problem completing the sequence in time, and I suspect most people here could do the same. IT'S THE INTERFACE THAT CONFOUNDS ME".
Designers of the game are working on high tech last technology computers. MYST GAMERS HAVE TO PLAY WITH THE COMPUTER THEY HAVE (although FITTING the configuration indicated on the box !!).
So, don't mix parameters, PHYSICAL APTITUDE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM! There are so many combinations between hardware and software, that THE TIME RESPONSE IN EACH CASE IS A (almost) RANDOM RESULT.
Then, if I understand well€¦
NO FUTURE FOR GAMERS HAVING "SLOW" CONFIGURATION??

2- Concerning people joining forums because they have problems€¦
(cf poll€¦)
Answer to "BulaRae": I did solve the puzzles, but I can't interact correctly with the game to "give my solution".
Then€¦ How many people have bought MystIV, encountered such problems, had no possible link to the web (or had no idea how to connect to forums for help), and then, perhaps, dragged the game to the trash ??? Silent people are not always happy€¦

maztec
11-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Myst, I did not imply that you have those problems.

I also said "or we're simply just slow" rather tongue in cheek.

You need to be aware that I am a speed typist (over 100 wpm) and fairly good at most action games -- but have a hard time with the timing on the Spire puzzle. I acknowledge that I have issues with the timing myself in my post.

But, there are many people who fall into the category of disabled or older -- that do have problems with this also.

Don't take things so personally. I'm pretty sure I didn't write "Myst-Hic is a man with a few extra years under the belt, with poor coordination, and some motion disabilities." :P And if I was a politician, I wouldn't have said written it that way just now.

I realize that silent people arne't always happy. And if you noticed I started that particular thread with the intent of encouraging it to be slowed. I even offered a solution to allow people who can't do it for whatever reason to be aided by having the puzzle timing disabled. Whether that is actually done or not is beyond my control.

I also know one particular thing -- the rotation timing on that puzzle is set to your systems actual timing. It's not a render time issue. Although.. if your PCs clock is losing time, then you would more than likely have a longer period in which to solve it.

Maz

Myst-Hic
11-11-2004, 01:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:

...I'm pretty sure I didn't write...

Maz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maz€¦ You have taken my comment on the very first degree! I was only joking! I surely didn't take things personally.
More seriously€¦ I agree, we have not to reject people having motion difficulties with their fingers.
I have well noted that you encourage the game designers to work on this timing issue and that things are not so simple.
It seems to me that the more important delay comes from the time taken by the "hand" (not my hand, of course!) to open and grab (added to the difficulty in correctly positioning this "hand" on cursors without touching the four windows).
Is there any way to by-pass this animation for the time-limited puzzles (if it can change something€¦)?

maztec
11-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Phew...

What do you mean bypass the animation for the timed puzzle?

I found making sure I grab the little handle sticking out from the sliders helped me a lot...

Myst-Hic
11-12-2004, 12:55 AM
What do you mean bypass the animation for the timed puzzle?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
€¦ If it's impossible to act on the time itself (or to disable it completely), is it a way in the software (when reaching this time-limited puzzles) to deactivate the cursor animation (the "hand" opening and grabbing) and to replace it by a simple arrow (and the click button). Would it save time? This is a question to designers.

Something else:
From Charybde to Sylla !! Nice day€¦ After the mangree's totem, the camoudile puzzle! (heard about it in forum, but could not imagine I would face the same issue). Sorry, I just reach this point now, since I really enjoyed the trip between puzzles (if not the timing).

Speaking of "trip"€¦ Did the team at UBI breath too much of this ****ed green vapor?

1 €" Twice the same kind of puzzle: gears and notes (whatever the result expected). Loss of imagination?
2- More crucial. I ALL previous Myst games, when stuck, there was always a possibility to find a hint on the web, or a missing clue, or the solution itself, and to introduce it in the game to continue. This is the case here for the mangree's totem. If you get the hidden clue somewhere else you can continue playing, even if you don't succeed in this time exercise. BUT such is not the case for the "spider chair" and the "camoudile". If you don't succeed, you can't open the path, and "the game is over" for you! Designers wanted to introduce "live" effects, they conduct many gamers to a dead end instead. For me, it's a major mistake in a game design.
Even in "fighting games" (I hate them) there are options for beginners to completely slow down the game.

Bluefoodog
11-12-2004, 07:14 AM
I agree totally Myst-hic. It doesn't matter why I cannot complete the spire chair task, whether age, dexterity or physical impairment. The bottom line is I cannot complete the necessary moves in the alloted time. The patch didn't seem to do anything at all as far as extending the time limits. The adventure, for me, has ended at the spire chair.

maztec
11-12-2004, 09:12 PM
How odd. I've tested it before and after the patch. After the patch I have about 15 seconds MORE than I had before.

And I stlil don't know why I'm slow at the puzzle -- it's definitely nothing to do with personal speed or dexterity or physical impairment.

*shrug*

Myst-Hic
11-13-2004, 01:10 AM
How odd. I've tested it before and after the patch. After the patch I have about 15 seconds MORE than I had before.

And I stlil don't know why I'm slow at the puzzle -- it's definitely nothing to do with personal speed or dexterity or physical impairment.

*shrug* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, the reason seems to be that the major part of the available time (even if you add 15 sec) is "eaten" by the time taken by the cursor animation (the hand) for opening and grabbing the slider. See my last post. And this "loss of time" can vary from computer to computer. On mine, even with the best available settings this animation of the hand remains rather slow. The timer starts running at the third setting, so you still have 9 "hand animation" periods.
The same "loss of time" appears between notes to be played with the gears.

maztec
11-13-2004, 03:27 AM
on what systems? As I said, the timing of the mechanisms is actually set to your systems internal clock from my understanding.

Could be wrong on that. Anyway, I'm curious as to this delay caused by the hand animation.. You haven't just tried to go without waiting for it? Doesn't seem like all that long of a period of time to me..

What is your systems configuration?

Philkb
11-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I, too, had all those problems but just before giving up and asking my much more dexterity efficient young nephew to complete it for me, I tried one more stab at it. I did read in another forum somewhere, (sorry, I can't remember where) about the fact that once the first and second strings are tuned, there is no reason to take the time to stop on the third string setting, just go PAST the proper stop for the third string and go ahead and set the third string for proper stop for the NEXT sequence. The crystal will start up even though you only fly past the correct third string setting. Do this again for the next sequence until done. This saved several precious seconds for me. Also, when positioning the sliders, don't release the mouse button until you've moved the slider "window" just a bit ABOVE the proper setting and it will drop nicely into the proper stop. All in all, this method saved me enough time to COMPLETE the chair and move on. And this was before installing the patch. Try this, and with just a bit more practice, you should get it.

Myst-Hic
11-13-2004, 02:37 PM
What is your systems configuration? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear Maz€¦ My computer configuration is given in the very first post of this thread (see above).
And I think that this configuration is not really a "slow" one.
I agree on the fact that the timing is (probably?) set on the system internal clock as decided by game designers. BUT cursor animation depends on much more parameters.
I did try (of course) to "click and move" BEFORE animation ends (but with no efficient result€¦ and the consequence was, often, more time lost!). I also tried to choose the best sequence between sliders, to minimize the time, as pointed out by Philkb. Complete failure!!

BUT NOW, I am fed up with these problems€¦ I bought a game€¦ To Play€¦ and Relax€¦ and Enjoy. What's the result€¦ I participate in discussions in forums (interesting anyway), but with no significant outcome (except for the graphics defects fix, THANKS TO THE HELPING TEAM). And now I accept to wait more€¦ for the next coming patch, if any. I HOPE that it will fix time-limited puzzles: i.e. by-pass these sequences with a menu: "Do you want to play with time, or not?" If not€¦ "Enter your solution (list of numbers or letters) in the following table, in order for you to access to the next game sequence". TOO OPTIMISTIC?

maztec
11-14-2004, 02:44 AM
Myst-Hic, I'm going to have to apologise to you.

I've been an idiot.

I admit, I'm not as interested in reading peoples full posts as I should be lately.. I'm getting tired of being insulted. And getting a tad tired of reading about how horrible of a company Ubi is - want a comparison, go read the tech forums for most other games, they get the same type sof responses ... I think every game that comes out, even console games, has issues http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway.. I just reread and I realized something I had missed the first time I read it.. You're using OSX 10.2.8. My understanding is that the ATI drivers had a major revamp/upgrade in 10.3.6 .. and that in previous versions, particularly for the Radeon 7500, there is quite a bit disabled. ANyway, it's entirely possible such an upgrade would help.

But, I understand you wouldn't want to pay for that. I wouldn't either, especially since I believe the game says 10.2.x is the minimum http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

We have to keep in mind that I'm volunteer tech support. I don't have all the knowledge Ubi has at hand. I assume you've also sent Ubi a support request. All I can suggest is upgrade to the latest OSX version available to you and within your means -- and keep trying or find a young kid to try. You could also email your game file to someone and have them do it...

Finally, one last suggestion. Please follow it -- the more people that send requests to Ubi, pointing out they're still having problems with this puzzle, despite the patch (and I'd suggest waiting for the new version of the patch due early this next week - if it doesn't work afte rthat...) -- the more likely that Ubi will provide an alternative way of completing this puzzle in the next version.

I've been pushing for this, but the response I keep getting is "We've only had 12 support tickets regarding this, whereas we've had over 100 for this other issue." So, obviously, which are they going to prioritize? I wish this wasn't the case, but sadly it is. So, send in a request and get your friends to - and I'll do what I can to be up to bat for you on it.

Maz

bobby100m
11-29-2005, 09:13 PM
$50 REWARD for saved game file......

I WILL PAY ANYONE $50 US CASH (via paypal) to anyone who can email me a saved game file getting past the spider chair in Spire.

i have a G4 Mac Macintosh computer, so the file has to be from a MAC.

if you are interested in helping me out and earning $50 dollars, please email me at:

bobby100m@yahoo.ca

thanks

bob

bobby100m
11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Spire chair slider PUZZLE SOLVED - SAVE GAME AVAILABLE

hello,

the spire chair puzzle has been solved!!!!!!!

if you need this as a save game file please email bob at:

bobby100m@yahoo.ca

thanks, bob