PDA

View Full Version : Focus on gameplay is stealth or rush?

Sinars
04-10-2007, 05:20 AM
I'm a tad confused about this subject. Referring to the Hitman series, the gameplay is focused on stealth, not letting anyone aware of the fact that you killed someone and silently leaving without being noticed. However, from all the footage and trailers of Assassin's Creed, it seems that Altair simply runs up and kills his target in plain view of everyone, then free runs away. If this is a stealth game, wouldn't the focus on gameplay be to kill your target silently while no one is around, then innocently leaving without anyone being any the wiser? Or at the moment am I to believe that Assassin's Creed is meant to be played "hurriedly", just killing your target when you first catch sight of him then parkour-ing your way out of there?

kabura786
04-10-2007, 05:34 AM
the thing about the assassins man is that unlike in hitman where you want no one to know you killed that person the assassins on the other hand wanted everyone to know that they killed that person so as to send a message that there not ones to be messed with and if you don't do things to there liking your gonna get a blade to the throat. And if you look at the video where they play the game on the 360 it shows that he had to use the "social stealth" feature to sneak up behind the target then murder him in front of everyone and you sure as hell know that later on in the game its not going to get that easy to sneak up to the target its most likely going to take more time and patience to find the right opening to take the target out

FableB
04-10-2007, 05:52 AM
I think I remember something about Jade clearly saying that AC is not a stealth game...

rubent1981
04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
the thing about the assassins man is that unlike in hitman where you want no one to know you killed that person the assassins on the other hand wanted everyone to know that they killed that person so as to send a message that there not ones to be messed with and if you don't do things to there liking your gonna get a blade to the throat. And if you look at the video where they play the game on the 360 it shows that he had to use the "social stealth" feature to sneak up behind the target then murder him in front of everyone and you sure as hell know that later on in the game its not going to get that easy to sneak up to the target its most likely going to take more time and patience to find the right opening to take the target out
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

RetiredHatch
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Techincally it isn't a stealth game

basically everything Kabura said is true

You're going to be "sneaking" around using social stealth and only moments before you assassinate the target should they notice you as an assassin i say "notice you as an assassin" instead of "see you" because they're going to see you plenty of people will see you but they shouldn't take any note that you're anyone else but a faceless person in the crowd. right before you assassinate that target(and i mean seconds before) & after assassination should they take note of you and then you get out of there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

not enough details to explain the getting out part we know you gotta run but to where? and how? nobody answer this question i'll slap myself if you do because really just watching the demo/the trailer doesn't explain the process of getting away at all

Agent_Alpha
04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
When Jade said it's not a "stealth" game, she meant you weren't goign to be spending all your time crouching in a shadow, Sam Fisher style, but you do have to know how to blend into a crowd

Sinars
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Hmm, that makes it a little more clearer. Killing the target in plain sight of everyone is gonna be something I'll need to get used to - I've got "Silent Assassin" rating on professional mode in Hitman Blood Money on all the levels - so killing the target in plain view of everyone and being rewarded in the game for it is going to be "different".

RetiredHatch
04-11-2007, 02:27 PM
You're not going to have a choice of the target not being infront of people chances are he'll always be infront of people in every scenario unless of course they change that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif and make it to where he's not going to be infront of people but you never know

ryukoken69
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I know they will use social stealth, blending in the crowd and not make the crowd angry or mad
Also I dout you'll have to kill the target as soon as you see them. from my understanding is that you can watch him and learn there day to day patterns to find an oppertune time to kill them. maybe a time when the gaurds are not around.... instead of a public torture like in the vid.

Sarges24
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Agent_Alpha:
When Jade said it's not a "stealth" game, she meant you weren't goign to be spending all your time crouching in a shadow, Sam Fisher style, but you do have to know how to blend into a crowd

Exactly... ^^^^^

Considering the style game I'd assume you can kill with stealth or guns blazing (rather swords swinging). But from what I recall they also said that if you go in all gun ho that you'd have to flee because you won't be able to single handedly take out the army/soldiers/guards. There in presenting a level of realism to the game...

But I'd say that some kills (hits, targets, assassinations) will be set up so that stealth is the best and/or only option for getting the quest/objective completed. This game should be set up so that in some circumstances, or rather some assassinations, that stealth and trickery are the keys to a successful kill. Some hits will probably be in places where you do have to blend in, get close, kill, battle, and flee. While others will be setup so that you can skillfully sneak in, use some sort of trickery to distract guards (etc) and get it done Sam Fisher style otherwise the guards will spot you, the mark will be protected/run, and you'll have to go out and find him FBI style... idk, that's what my take on creating the game would be, and I'd think that with the blend of stealth and action being emphasized into the game that this would be the best way to go about doing it so that players, although they might not like it, are forced to play the game to it's fullest and enjoy all the different aspects it has to offer...

sladevi
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
From what I gather they are focusing on the three stage thing:

Stage 1: the approach - you have the choice to go by "stealth" (social stealth) or just charge in shoving people out of your way

Stage 2: the kill - in front of everyone to make a show

Stage 3: the escape - fast paced, leaping across buildings etc.

So overall it sounds like it will be a very different gameplay experience from hitman or from thief or...any other games I can think of.

ParadiseFH
04-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Sinars:
Hmm, that makes it a little more clearer. Killing the target in plain sight of everyone is gonna be something I'll need to get used to - I've got "Silent Assassin" rating on professional mode in Hitman Blood Money on all the levels - so killing the target in plain view of everyone and being rewarded in the game for it is going to be "different".

as much as i loathe people who quote the dictionary:

"as·sas·si·nate

to kill suddenly or secretively, esp. a politically prominent person; murder premeditatedly and treacherously."

notice the "or" in between "suddenly" and "secretively."

stealth does not make an assassin an assassin. killing a specific target makes an assassin an assassin.

Agent_Alpha
04-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Exactly. If I picked up a gun, said "I'm going to go kill John Doe." then proceeded to throw a brick through his window, climb through, and shoot him in the head, I would still be an assassin.

ryukoken69
04-13-2007, 07:56 PM
..... um your very close ParadiseFH
BUT theres only one flaw...
if you kill someone on your own its just murder.

To be an assassin you have to be hired to kill someone.
just thought I would kill that up HA

Agent_Alpha
04-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Lee Harvey Oswald "Assassinated" JFK, yet he wasn't paid off (that we know of)

xasspenx
04-14-2007, 02:24 AM
All i know is this. Im gonna plan out every kill. Im gonna be a true killer lol. Which means watching my preys moves,catching his habits, and watching other individuals in his immediate surrounding.

assassinreaper1
04-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Lmao feeling a little less newbish as my third post tonight (on the night I joined from 11:00 through 11:59) not a lot though.

Down to business. Well guys this thread really agrovated me. It's unlike any other game. I may sound tempermental when I say this but. SHE SAID YOU CAN DO THE DAMN MISSION ABOUT 50 FREAKIN WAYS. STOP WORRIENG ABOUT IT YOU CAN BLEND IN WITH SHADWOS AS WELL LIKE OBLIVION. Okay enough of caps lock. Well like the dark brother hood missions. You get extra points or gold. Not sure if gold is used. Or even any way that is fun. So its not really a big deal its just an optinal fun thing. Personally I would use regular "Blen in the shadows" stealth but thats me. Im sorta like a night assassin. In games. or a thief who kills but silently well like an agent

noobfun
04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by assassinreaper1:
Lmao feeling a little less newbish as my third post tonight (on the night I joined from 11:00 through 11:59) not a lot though.

Down to business. Well guys this thread really agrovated me. It's unlike any other game. I may sound tempermental when I say this but. SHE SAID YOU CAN DO THE DAMN MISSION ABOUT 50 FREAKIN WAYS. STOP WORRIENG ABOUT IT YOU CAN BLEND IN WITH SHADWOS AS WELL LIKE OBLIVION. Okay enough of caps lock. Well like the dark brother hood missions. You get extra points or gold. Not sure if gold is used. Or even any way that is fun. So its not really a big deal its just an optinal fun thing. Personally I would use regular "Blen in the shadows" stealth but thats me. Im sorta like a night assassin. In games. or a thief who kills but silently well like an agent

a man with weapons lurkling in shadows should draw a guards attention dont you think (thief,killer,mugger, generally upto no good) a guy with weapons wondering in a crowd is an every day occurance, just another face in the crowd

wtach the vids and x06 trailer again, ignore the cgi its the blended game footage were interested in, plenty of shadows cast by the sun, none deep enough to hide in and most of them full of people doing every day stuff or just getting out of the heat of the day

you guys need to get out more, feel then sun on your face the wind in your hair, the coppery smell of blood as you slip a blade between someones ribs. lifes for living not skulking in the dark

KaBaW6957
04-30-2007, 02:36 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Karl_93
04-30-2007, 03:57 AM
lmfao i like this http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Anicrow
04-30-2007, 05:13 AM
I also http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

One think you have to understand about this game is it's entirely free roam.

We can assume (Or maybe even confirm) that all of the targets have everday schedules that they partake in, this could include things like going to the restroom etc. Who says you always have to kill your target outside? There are plenty of shadows inside after all.

Another thing about social stealth, it's probably going to get harder and harder to blend in as you progress threw the game, perhaps there will be some sort of "Fame" to the point of where if you lay low for quite bit a of time in between assassinations you stand a better chance of not being recognized. I'm also curios to see how the crowds will react. (As much as I hate to cite crackdown..) Like in crackdown, when civilians start beating down on gang members.

Could make your escape a lot easier with the aid of civilians after all. On a brighter note, one can only assume as well that it's not always day time. ...I'm just saying, people go outside when it's dark too, not to mention my prethoughts of inside assassinations >.>

To answer your original question, I'd say it's a little bit of both, you can't entirely rule out either aspect of combat here. I think the game is massive and amazing enough to allow plenty of remember for many play styles.

After all, I've seen some one "Rush MGS3" which was pretty amusing to watch.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My first post

BEEateMAN
04-30-2007, 06:28 AM
I remember hearing jade say something about getting info on "the consiricy"(cant spell that) so your not gonna have a conversation infront of a crowd

Hybrid8807
04-30-2007, 07:13 AM
I think you guys are still thinking of this game in the terms of the regular stealth action genre. This isn't like those games, though. This game will be based on crowd stealth, and killing your target publicly to make the point that they have crossed your organization and that they will pay for it. I'm basing this simply on opinion and the interviews I've read and videos I've watched.

Why kill the guy in the bathroom when there will be speculation as to who did it? Do it publicly, so that people know who did it. That's what assassination is. I'm not sure about the textbook definition, but it's basically the killing of a target for political reasons. You don't necessarily have to be paid for it (though I'm sure that helps), you just have to dislike someone's policies. Or someone with enough money to buy your services has to dislike their policies. Doesn't matter. If you kill someone because you're mad at them for having sex with your sister, that's murder. If you kill someone because they want to put your town on the map by being the first to outlaw atheism, that's assassination.

King32Gofather
04-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by ryukoken69:
I know they will use social stealth, blending in the crowd and not make the crowd angry or mad
Also I dout you'll have to kill the target as soon as you see them. from my understanding is that you can watch him and learn there day to day patterns to find an oppertune time to kill them. maybe a time when the gaurds are not around.... instead of a public torture like in the vid.

like ken said we would all probable enjoy stalking our targets just waiting for the right momment to strike...well has anyone thought hat the right momment might b when your target is asleep... i know that the assassination is supposed to be public so why not after u kill him in his sleep hang him outta his bedroom window for everyone to see or just throw the fool out the window...

but my question is,,,"is there night time gameplay???" cause i wanna stalk my targets through a dark alley as they walk home after a night out and attack when they least expect it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

cheekyf3llow
05-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Stalking your enemys woudl be very fun, ( especialy if its in a dark alley) but I will just have to wait for the game and hope.

RetiredHatch
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
its official guys there's no night and day cycles to speak of in this game so your target is probably going to stand at whatever place he's standing for a couple hours it'd be way cool to stalk him that was what i always thought i'd be doing just stalk him for an hour or something but if he's standing still there's no point http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif