PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift Virtual reality?

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 02:14 AM
With a couple of posts recently on TrackIR I got to thinking. I know that true VR is still a ways off but could there be a way to make your own? My one turn off to TrackIR is that even though you turn your head to adjust the view you still have to keep your eyes glued to the Monitor. My thoughts were on buying perhaps a pair of Virtual glasses and combining it with TrackIR. Of course the price is astronomical (especially for my budget) but I think it would definately work. If anyone has this let us know! If the price starts to come down on the I-Glasses A lot of us here could have VR sets! Here is the link for anyone who wants more info.

www.i-glasses.com (http://www.i-glasses.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 02:14 AM
With a couple of posts recently on TrackIR I got to thinking. I know that true VR is still a ways off but could there be a way to make your own? My one turn off to TrackIR is that even though you turn your head to adjust the view you still have to keep your eyes glued to the Monitor. My thoughts were on buying perhaps a pair of Virtual glasses and combining it with TrackIR. Of course the price is astronomical (especially for my budget) but I think it would definately work. If anyone has this let us know! If the price starts to come down on the I-Glasses A lot of us here could have VR sets! Here is the link for anyone who wants more info.

www.i-glasses.com (http://www.i-glasses.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 02:25 AM
i have a pair of Olympus eyetreks,but never thought of combining them, that would work too as they are more or less the same product, sony do similar pair as well

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 02:28 AM
ziifnab wrote:
- I know that true VR is still a ways off
- but could there be a way to make your own?

you live in the stoneages boy?

everyone knows perfect VR already exists, and most of us experience it every night /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

(can you say 'REM' ?)

<br/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif --- ; + ) = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif --- : + ( = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif --- : + o = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif --- : + P = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif --- : + | = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif --- : + <u>?</u> = /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 02:32 AM
The problem with currently available glasses is that there is no recourse for head movement. What you see is basically a monitor projected in front of you at some distance or "shutter glasses" that give the effect of depth while looking at your monitor.

Some people are already using e-dimensional shutter glasses in combination with TIR and get it to work decently but you have to remember that with these LCD shutter glasses you have to run your monitor at twice the refresh rate that you would like to see. That means if you can live with a 60hz refresh (which I don't think I could) you would have to run your monitor at 120hz, otherwise you have the makings of a migraine. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Unfortunately, my older 21" monitor can only handle 80hz at 1152x960 so I would be left at a brain-splitting 40hz refresh,

As for turning your head with TIR it's really not a problem if you set it up properly. To do a full "six" check to one side my head points only to about the edge of my monitor with my eyes looking at whatever's on the screen so it's not too bad. Also, with a proper deadzone in the TIR driver you don't have to worry about keeping your head perfectly still to focus on a far-off plane or steady aiming.

Once they get an affordable VR headset with decent resolution and motion tracking I'm sure we'll be hearing lots about it here. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet myself.

<center>http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 03:32 AM
Damn Taylortony you are halfway there /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I looked up those Eye-Treks and they are still around the $800 range, too much for me. PriK I am surprised myself, if you think about it the technology is already here but no company has jumped 100% to VR. We already have TrackIR for head movement and IGlasses/Eye-Trek for potentially simulated VR. Why haven't they combined the 2 technologies? Oh well I am sure it will all happen in a few short years.

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 04:04 AM
I went searching for VR goggles recently,

I found the e-dimensional (cheapos) but there are many more higher end models that have built in 3-d (displacement) and have an incorporated head-tracker.

Of course, these were all >2000$$

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 04:08 AM
Oh. I didnt even find the ones with head tracking and glasses incorporated together. Glad to see that they are at least out there. I guess its just a waiting game now for the prices to drop.

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 04:18 AM
The issue would be:

How do these technologies like Track-IR get into flight sims? or was it the consumer that asked the company first to have it ported over to flight sims?

This would be a very good question to make to the Track-IR makers so we can learn and offer the same to VR glasses makers!

As soon as we have the attention of at least one maker of VR glasses and see profit on making 'special' ones for the flight sim community then others will get in and make it affordable...this is something that Track-IR still has to reach (making them more affordable (US$40~$70 range)).

If you think of it same goes for many components that we use today like 3D video cards and sound cards. Something had to push the buttons of a corporations to start making these technologies and make them available for the gaming consumer.

http://fluxout.homestead.com/files/Thx-32x.jpg

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you"

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 10:51 PM
__BUMP__

Interesting subject here.

http://fluxout.homestead.com/files/Thx-32x.jpg

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you"

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 11:08 PM
PriK wrote:
- The problem with currently available glasses is that
- there is no recourse for head movement. What you
- see is basically a monitor projected in front of you
- at some distance . . .

Uh, if the tracking device is stationary in front of you . . . When you turn your head the wearble monitor will travel as it is supposed to. Or am I missing your point?

Tsisqua

http://www.cherokee.org/culture/images/nedChristie.jpg

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa!

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 11:58 PM
You better have full hands off keyboard capability if you want to use a full on VR headset, because chances are you're not gonna be able to see the keyboard anymore.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 12:02 AM
ziifnab wrote:
- Damn Taylortony you are halfway there /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I looked up those Eye-Treks and
- they are still around the $800 range, too much for
- me. PriK I am surprised myself, if you think about
- it the technology is already here but no company has
- jumped 100% to VR. We already have TrackIR for head
- movement and IGlasses/Eye-Trek for potentially
- simulated VR. Why haven't they combined the 2
- technologies? Oh well I am sure it will all happen
- in a few short years.
-

I would check out EBAY there are different versions, i picked a brand new pair up in the uk for about $160 and there fine, the ones you are talking about are probably the widscreen version or the ones my portable dvd player will power although saying that mine do play widescreen as well

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah they were the widescreen version, but I think those were the only ones with high resolution (800*600 max). Standard vga wouldnt cut it IMO.

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 02:26 AM
This idea surfaces every few months, a good idea with a lot of practical problems.

1) TrackIR has scaled sensitivity (ie 10deg of head movement can equal 180deg output).
2) TrackIR, on it's own, has a limited range of movement it can track (ie you can't turn your head all the way around to really check six).
3) The human brain sends toss-cookies T signals when your eyes see 180deg rotation when the inner ear/musculature only senses 10-20deg.

So what you really need is a stereoscopic HMD with inbuilt TrackIR-like functionality and this is what true VR headsets are.

<center>
Read the <a href=http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm>IL2 FAQ</a>
Got Nimrod? Try the unofficial <A HREF=http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=4870c2bc08acb0f130e5e3396d08d595>OT forum</A>