PDA

View Full Version : FB - Patch sound problem solved!

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I thought this info might be of help to those with sound problems in FB caused by the latest patch update.

Summary

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the v1.1b patch for Sturmovik-FB. I was really cheesed off when I next played the game, as the sound was terrible! and often there was no sound from guns or engines at all. So today I decided to reinstall Stur-FB, but I kept the original installation in place (by renaming the Stur-FB folder) just in case. Anyway, after reinstalling the game it ran fine again - with no sound problems. Then I copied and replaced the conf.ini file from the old game folder (the one I'd renamed) to save me having to set up the game again from scratch. Well, blow me! ..the sound problems came back again! So I then reverted back to the new conf.ini file (I'd saved it by renaming it) and it worked fine. I reckon maybe the FB patch update must overwrite the ini file and mess up the sound settings somehow,

Finally I decided to try and copy the NEW conf.ini file into the OLD game folder (the folder I'd renamed), and the sound is now perfect in the patched game!, plus the new patch works a treat and reduces frame rates etc. I will now uninstall the new installtion of Stur-FB and rename the the old game folder to its original name, and I'm back in business - hopefully! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I hope this isnt too complicated an explanation! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Please circulate this message if you think it might help other FB fans

Cheers

Tin

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I thought this info might be of help to those with sound problems in FB caused by the latest patch update.

Summary

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the v1.1b patch for Sturmovik-FB. I was really cheesed off when I next played the game, as the sound was terrible! and often there was no sound from guns or engines at all. So today I decided to reinstall Stur-FB, but I kept the original installation in place (by renaming the Stur-FB folder) just in case. Anyway, after reinstalling the game it ran fine again - with no sound problems. Then I copied and replaced the conf.ini file from the old game folder (the one I'd renamed) to save me having to set up the game again from scratch. Well, blow me! ..the sound problems came back again! So I then reverted back to the new conf.ini file (I'd saved it by renaming it) and it worked fine. I reckon maybe the FB patch update must overwrite the ini file and mess up the sound settings somehow,

Finally I decided to try and copy the NEW conf.ini file into the OLD game folder (the folder I'd renamed), and the sound is now perfect in the patched game!, plus the new patch works a treat and reduces frame rates etc. I will now uninstall the new installtion of Stur-FB and rename the the old game folder to its original name, and I'm back in business - hopefully! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I hope this isnt too complicated an explanation! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Please circulate this message if you think it might help other FB fans

Cheers

Tin

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Tin,

Set up a QMB over Crimea - is sound still OK 3 mins into the game?

TIA

Mark

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 06:54 PM
The Conf.ini has settings to control sound setups but it is not the instagator of the new problems that is alot deeper into the sim

there are sound.dll's that would have to be replaced

I dont doubt your hearing a differance in sound if your using your original conf.ini with your original settings droped onto v1.1b this is what I did & the sound is bearable but theres many sound bugs that simply having your old config in the new patch will not solve

Wait till your flying along in a fullreal map & theres friendly ships below you & a bandit in the area & that ship fires a shell that makes you go deaf & give you a heartattack all @ the same time Its a real JOY !!!

<center><FONT COLOR="white">ӚFJ-M œ R D ˜ ӡ[/i]</font>

<center> http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_109_1059752328.jpg </center>

<center><FONT COLOR="white">The "Ace Edge"(c).
With my incremental trim
I am actually able to turn so quickly that, I never turn at all.
In Fact the Planet Earth rotates around the Axis of My PC, thus giving me the optimum turn rate and insuring that you
the bandit are promptly fraged !!!
In memory Of Ray R.I.P.[/i]</font>

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 06:56 PM
ok lets say he has solved it ( not likely though as i have done this myself ).
to test is simple fly the USA P47 single mission, when you reach the first emny convoy at the river you "WILL" lose your engine volume..

but ok lets say he doesnt, now if he doesnt all he has to do is post the contents of his sound config from his config.ini here so we can all use thoughs settings.

So please do the test and get back to us..

<p align="center">http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters/images/419x100phantomfighters01.gif (http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters/default.asp)

http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters (http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters/)

http://phantomfighters.sqhq.net (http://phantomfighters.sqhq.net/)</p>

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Append: HA! Tried the following out with some other planes, and all the sound is messed up with most of the other planes. Don't even bother trying this! Sorry folks!

I recently posted this info in the thread 'FB v1.0 sound works':

=======================================
Don't get too excited! It does seem to get rid of the 'engine sound dampening' bug in version 1.1b but it introduces at least two others.

What I think he did was to *BACK-UP* the 'FB_sound.SFS' file, then moved 'sound.SFS' from an il2 CD into the FB root folder, and changed the name of it to 'FB_sound.SFS'. Note that these two files are different sizes! The il2 one is 2mb smaller.

Anyway, doing this seems to fix the awful dampening of the engine that occurs in version 1.1b. To try it out do this:
quick mission builder
crimea map
one enemy plane
2000m altitude

You will spawn by the coast, and as soon as ships start to fire (within the first 15 seconds) your engine sound will go very, very quiet if you are affected by this sound bug.

Exit the game and instigate the 'fix' as described above and try the same mission again. This time my engine remained at a high level when ships fired. BUT there were now at least two other bugs:
1/ My cannons made no sound when firing (I was in an La7).
2/ If I changed the throttle, some 'looping' of engine sounds occurred, which sounded crap.

I am not going to use this 'fix' for those two reasons (probably more bugs would emerge after I played a few more missions). If anyone manages to get a decent fix, I would love to know about it.
==============================

Note that I tried what the original poster kinda says he did (which was to move the original FB_sound.SFS from the cd over the patched version), but it didn't work; they are the same version I think (exactly the same size anyway). Instead I experimented with the il2 sound file, and it 'worked' as described above in an La7.

<CENTER>http://www.666th.com/uploads/forumsigs/5-il2logo.gif</CENTER>

Message Edited on 08/29/0306:29PM by antifreeze

XyZspineZyX
08-29-2003, 07:10 PM
> "ok lets say he has solved it ( not likely though as i have done this myself )."

----

Ok chaps, what I meant was: I've solved the sound problem to MY satisfaction. Ive been flying the game for an hour now and its real sweet - not a problem in sight as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, I dont fly campaigns in any great depth - I enjoy the odd dogfight and the occasional sight-seeing trip, but I'm not an avid FB head (yet!). Still, I'm happy with the combination of the latest patch and a fresh cong.ini file.

Cheers and best wishes,

Tin