PDA

View Full Version : HELP

kumba007
07-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Hello, I am kinda new to IL2 Sturmovik. I've been playing it for several hours now, and i can get my plain airborn,do several maneuvers but I cannot get it landed. I landed it twice, but a million miles away from the airstrip. I don't want to rush into things, so I haven't been to battle tutorial yet, always practicing the landing part, and failing it. I've read several guides how to land, seen the tutorial like a kazillion times, tried to land it, but noooo way, I always crash when touching the ground, I also have a problem with flying right to the strip,i have to correct till the last moment, sometimes I fly too hard, sometimes I stall, every time sth goes horribly wrong.
Can someone please say that this is normal and everyone went trough this stage, cause I get nervous trying to land. As I want to learn to walk before learning to run, I don't want to proceed with other tutorials, because when I will play a real game, i will have to land and screw up the game at last hand.

grtzz
K

ps. another thing, the intro, can it be skipped? because no matter which button I press, he always runs completely.
thx

Hoarmurath
07-28-2005, 06:38 PM
For the intro, open the configuration software for IL2, and uncheck the "play intro" at the bottom. Sorry if it is not the exact term, but i have the game in french.

For landings, yes, it is difficult, and you will need lots of practice. There are no magic way of landing right every time. I played this game for years, and sometime i still manage to do a bad landing.

So, practice, practice, practice, practice... This is the key...

Crimea_River
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
There are good tutorials around but you say you've read several. If you understand the basics then it is truly a matter of practice.

Some planes are tougher than others. Try a stable machine like a Hurricane. I like the F4F Wildcat as well.

Most beginners try to overcompensate on the controls during the approach and close to touch down. Remember that at slow speeds, the control surfaces will tend to respond more slowly so the tendency is to then keep moving the stick the way you want the plane to go, until you've gone to far. Gradual movements are best. Keep your speed well above stall but not too fast. The Wilcat lands nicely between 80 and 100 kts.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Taylortony
07-28-2005, 07:11 PM
out of interest are you using a joystick? because without one it is VERY hard to land, another thing is start with a plane like the IL2 or the Hurricane if you have a version that has it, these are easier to land than some of them, use flaps and power get it in a good glide angle not to fast a descent then just before touch down reduce power and ease back on the stick to reduce speed and flare.. it will come, also you will find the landing rougher if not on the runway.. we all went through this but it will come and then you will be dropping it onto a postage stamp http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif or even a carrier if you have PF, that was a new learning curve again for us all getting it to land on. stick with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As said turning off the film, if you do not know where it is go on windows

Start
Program files
ubisoft folder
last window
il2setup
when that opens click on network
and untick the box at the bottom of the window then close.

kumba007
07-29-2005, 02:03 AM
yea I am using a joystick, and the only aircraft I've flown in, is an IL2 'cause I've only played tutorials. Yea I tried a single mission once, but since I couldn't find other planes to, eu, screw, I screwed mine by stalling and crashing, so it wasn't a succes at all, so I told myself to go to every tutorial there is, so I'd learn. I sure am going to practice some more hours, days, weeks, as much as needed, to get my plane down, and down it shall go, but in a good way now.
By the way, the 'skipping the intro' part of my question, is solved, what a small, annoying, v-mark. lol. Mistery solved at last, now I can finally crash, eu, land faster.
Thx a lot u guys

grtzz
K

ps. I just have the original cd, IL2 Sturmovik, Which path, or whatever extra download(s) should I get?

Moustacheo
07-29-2005, 02:10 AM
One of the best pieces of advice I heard was from this forum when someone said that when landing you control your altitude with the throttle and you control your speed by where your nose is pointing in relation to the horizon. Sounds a bit backward at first, but since you are using full flaps (or at least you should be) this means that most of the power from your engine goes into lift rather than speed, so by putting the throttle down you lose altitude much more than you do speed.

If you are stalling and/or having your gear collapse underneath you, it sounds like that you put the throttle right down to lose speed but instead of slowing yourself down you are only losing altitude too fast so you slam into the ground. If you are doing what I also used to do then when you are losing altitude too fast you probably panic and try to point the nose upwards to gain altitude, which only makes the problem worse because you lose speed but not gain much height, which makes you even more likely to stall.

Landing quickly becomes a doddle if you remember the weird reverse rule: Increase/decrease throttle to increase/decrease alitude, and increase/decrease nose position to decrease/increase speed. Just come in at a gentle angle, and slowly throttle back o touch down gently. I hope this helps.

Happy landings! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
07-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Your difficulty landing is normal, it took me a couple of weeks to get a good landing when I first started.

EnsignKarl1
07-29-2005, 02:19 AM
Hi,

When Landing it is important to remember that power = altitude and attitude (nose up angle) = speed. so if you are dropping too fast, add power, don't just pull up. Flaps make you drop faster without gaining speed, but with most military aircraft a fair amount of power still has to be carried to maintain altitude. The rudder is supremely important here because adding power at slow speeds means lots of torque, so you have to use a lot of rudder to compensate for that. Try landing a little fast at first, that usually helps form the stalling standpoint. Hope this helps some

good luck

EnsignKarl1
07-29-2005, 02:21 AM
And wow.. I think some of us were typing the same things at the same time.

kumba007
07-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Just spent 3 hrs trying to land, and guess what, I can land a plane, not always, but enough to give me courage to continue, which I did. Bombs are fun, rofl.
I even landed several times onto the runway.
I played a mission once, but is it normal that I can't see my compas? and that I have to fly a very long way before I can do sth? Like shooting sth, etc... I ran on autopilot till I got there, once autopilot was of, I crashed, lol. So far mission 1. I have to quit now, real duty calls.
Anyone? which patch do I need?

grtzz
K

mauld
07-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Align the threshold of the runway with a reference point on your aircraft usually the cowling i use the bottom line of the gun sight.
Trim (Elevator Trim) for the correct approach speed it varies with each aircraft but 110 mph is about right. Use power to rgulate the decent rate nothing more than 500 feet per minute there is a lag in response to increasing power to arrest your descent. Visually if you keep than threshold aligned, correct rate of descent, and airspeed above stalling speed you should get down ok. As you cross the threshold reduce power to zero and gradually flare your aircrat untill you touch down keep the stick back until you slow down enough to taxi.

Tully__
07-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by kumba007:
Just spent 3 hrs trying to land, and guess what, I can land a plane, not always, but enough to give me courage to continue, which I did. Bombs are fun, rofl.
I even landed several times onto the runway.
I played a mission once, but is it normal that I can't see my compas? and that I have to fly a very long way before I can do sth? Like shooting sth, etc... I ran on autopilot till I got there, once autopilot was of, I crashed, lol. So far mission 1. I have to quit now, real duty calls.
Anyone? which patch do I need?

grtzz
K
In most of the Russian aircraft the compass is hidden or partly hidden behind something. The speedbar (red numbers in the lower left corner of the screen) also give compass bearing (HDG) so you can still navigate. If those numbers aren't showing, check difficulty settings to make sure the "No Speedbar" setting is turned off.

Click here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/3131089933/r/9561010043#9561010043) for patch info on the various game versions.

Yes, long missions are normal. In fact the missions in this game are mostly very short by real WW2 standards.

kumba007
07-30-2005, 10:28 AM
the link works, but the link on that page doesn't seem to work at all, Can i get another link, with direct connection?

grtzz and thx

K

Atomic_Marten
07-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Make sure that you

-have a proper joystick
-use flaps (takeoff/landing)
-use brakes
-use rudder
-once when aircraft nose is pointed in the right direction, lock the tail wheel and firewall the throttle. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

That is all required for good take off/landing.

willyvic
07-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Kumba007,
You are correct the link was down for a bit. Try it now. Seems to be back up and running. Keep trying mate. You'll get it. And good luck with your flying. Once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.

willyvic
07-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Atomic_Marten:
Make sure that you

...-once when aircraft nose is pointed in the right direction, lock the tail wheel and firewall the throttle. .

That is all required for good take off/landing.

Not quite good advice for a novice just starting out. Jamming the throttle forward will lead to unexpected results for newer flyers.

A better suggestion would be to take a bit of time and learn the ins and outs of a particular bird before hot dogging across the runway.