PDA

View Full Version : hiding in clouds

PikeBishop
10-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Just a question about cloud and AI.........I recall that the AI does not 'see' clouds, so you cannot hide in clouds from AI fighters. Has this been addressed in PF or is it being solved in BoB.
Best regards,

SLP

PikeBishop
10-20-2004, 06:08 AM
Just a question about cloud and AI.........I recall that the AI does not 'see' clouds, so you cannot hide in clouds from AI fighters. Has this been addressed in PF or is it being solved in BoB.
Best regards,

SLP

weasel75
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I would not think that this made it in. Its a more complex thing in the AI-routines, which (depending on the engine) runs even deeper.
I'd guess that AI would need *major* rework to
a) handle disappearing enemies, and
b) use clouds for own advantage.

Not sure, but looking at all the things that were done in such a realative short amount of time, I woud really wonder should this be in ......

Still hoping though - W75

LEXX_Luthor
10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Should be in BoB...read sinhq thread below...

~ http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=98;t=012980

Oleg_Maddox (quoted @ sinhq):: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The only one serious AI missing feature they see you across the clouds and on the sun. But I told already in the past, that this will be changed only when clouds will be NON swichable as graphics option. It will be only in BoB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tater-SW-
10-20-2004, 11:11 AM
I never play with icons, do the clouds block icons at all? It seems to me that if the code knows how to sort icons over/under clouds, it already knows if you have Line of Sight to an enemy. A simple fix would be to have the AI move to the next visible plane as a threat as soon as you break LOS (ie: if icon is sorted behind a cloud, no LOS). AI skill might alter this (break "lock" after X seconds for Rookie, X+2 for average, etc).

tater

Chuck_Older
10-20-2004, 12:34 PM
why would a cloud hide an icon?

Map icons are visible for targets out of visual range. They are on unless the aircraft depawns after landing, or is destroyed, or flies off the map, clouds don't matter

Tater-SW-
10-20-2004, 01:33 PM
I never said MAP icons, I said icons. The neon crutch that shows the plane type, and range when you are flying. I just tried it with icons on (as opposed to map icons on) in the difficulty section. When a plane goes behind a cloud, the icon is obscured just as a plane itself is---the cloud is rendered in front of the icon. Clearly the z-sorting "knows" the cloud is between you and the contact.

tater