PDA

View Full Version : Starforce

Make_H
03-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I heard rumors that SH3 is going to use Starforce? Please tell me it's not true. I'm doing a lot of work keeping my computer virus-safe and now I'm supposed to install one willingly? If this is actually true then i'm definitely canceling my order now that it's still possible. I've been really looking forward to the game, but Starforce? No thanks. I almost cried when I read about it.

Make_H
03-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I heard rumors that SH3 is going to use Starforce? Please tell me it's not true. I'm doing a lot of work keeping my computer virus-safe and now I'm supposed to install one willingly? If this is actually true then i'm definitely canceling my order now that it's still possible. I've been really looking forward to the game, but Starforce? No thanks. I almost cried when I read about it.

gmot_ka
03-10-2005, 06:19 AM
For noob's like me: what is starforce and why is it so bad for you/us?

KaosxMeach
03-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Starforce is anti-piracy protection.

Some folks hate it and some folks don't.

I play some games with Starforce included already and I have not noticed any problems with it so far.

Lobolopez220
03-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Starforce is a piece of anti-piracy software with the uncanny ability to create mass hysteria and doomsday preaching on the internet a bit like a techno Nostradamus really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Make_H
03-10-2005, 06:25 AM
A copy protection program that installs itself on the computer without asking a permission from the user, and it can't be unistalled either by ordinary means.

It disables stuff like virtual drives and is known to have caused problems with the USB too.

Dominicrigg
03-10-2005, 06:27 AM
It can also irradiate you and cause hair loss. Like wearing caps but magnified by a force of 1000.

Also Julius Ceasar conquered the gauls using starforce. Thats how mighty it is!! There are even rumours starforce is responsible for the rubbishness of the new starwars trilogy...

eddie_wood
03-10-2005, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Make_H:
I've been really looking forward to the game, but Starforce? No thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starforce is a waste of time, the game will be cracked wide open a week after release (if not already).

However there is a lot of hysteria that surrounds Starforce, have you actually had any problems with Starforce? If not, then why miss out on a great game?

It is your decision to make a stand against it if you wish, personally I couldn't give a toss if Starforce is used or not.

Lobolopez220
03-10-2005, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Make_H:
A copy protection program that installs itself on the computer without asking a permission from the user, and it can't be unistalled either by ordinary means.

It disables stuff like virtual drives and known to have caused problems with the USB too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can honestly say that I have not seen any copy protection that comes with another piece of software that asks you whether you want to install it or not. Seriously people starforce is no where near as bad as people make it out to be and in the end, as Make_H points out, if you are really unhappy about it just don`t buy any game that includes it, its still your choice.

Lobo

KaosxMeach
03-10-2005, 06:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
It can also irradiate you and cause hair loss. Like wearing caps but magnified by a force of 1000.

Also Julius Ceasar conquered the gauls using starforce. Thats how mighty it is!! There are even rumours starforce is responsible for the rubbishness of the new starwars trilogy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soooooo.."don't use the starforce, Luke!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Make_H
03-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Well, more than anything it's my priniciple. I don't think it's legitimate to automatically install even potentially trouble causing programs without notifying the consumer who pays to play. Something like the copyprotected "CDs" too. It's not really stopping the people who wouldn't pay for the game anyway, but only causing harm to consumers.

But that wasn't really the point of the thread.. I just wanted to know if it's official that SH3 is going to use SF?

KaosxMeach
03-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Make-H. I respect your stance on Starforce, I am just a tad saddened that you will miss out on what is shaping up to be a cracking game.

It is your opinion and your desicion and I respect that, but a lot of fun is waiting to be had.

Ioandar
03-10-2005, 07:00 AM
To me the best copyprotection for sims are a good service (lucky 10 day with gifts, lots of info, great!), xtras like a big manual, charts and other goodies!

recognition manual? Good Idea!

Who likes to have a BIG manual?

Who likes to have an A0-map of the main area?

Who likes to have a postersize technical drawing of some u-boats?

Who like to have a silenthunter3 pin?

Who likes to have a nice tie-clip with decent sub?

Who likes to have a silenthunter3 patch - the one you stick on your clothes, not the patch for software http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif?

Those are only a few ideas who are realy easy to do...
you can do so much more than try to find the next better copyprotection. I guess its not worth doing but I am no expert. Its just what I think...

thomas

HelicalPropwash
03-10-2005, 07:03 AM
I posted this in another thread.

It is best put here.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/starforce_interview/page2.asp

Make_H
03-10-2005, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ioandar:
To me the best copyprotection for sims are a good service (lucky 10 day with gifts, lots of info, great!), xtras like a big manual, charts and other goodies!

recognition manual? Good Idea!

Who likes to have a BIG manual?

Who likes to have an A0-map of the main area?

Who likes to have a postersize technical drawing of some u-boats?

Who like to have a silenthunter3 pin?

Who likes to have a nice tie-clip with decent sub?

Who likes to have a silenthunter3 patch - the one you stick on your clothes, not the patch for software http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif?

Those are only a few ideas who are realy easy to do...
you can do so much more than try to find the next better copyprotection. I guess its not worth doing but I am no expert. Its just what I think...

thomas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would indeed be the best copy protection, or if not copy protection, at least ensuring higher profit for the game. Many simulators are really hard to play without an included manual, and that alone is a good reason to buy the game. Sure it would rise the printing costs some, but I wouldn't mind paying a few extra euros for such things, but I do mind about paying for having to install something on my machine that potentially causes it to malfunction. Most people prefer a physical manual over one included in the game CD/DVD anyway. Besides, people playing simulators are often the people who wouldn't pirate tha game anyway. Or that's what I'd think anyway.

That's a very nice article by the way, Helical.

Shado2k2
03-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Ok I dont know why some of you are getting ya panties in a twist over this one, I for one believe it will be Securom and not Starforce they implement for protection.

http://www.securom.com/news.asp?id=36

Make_H
03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes well that's why I was kind of hoping for some sort of confirmation or refusal from more or less official direction rather than just some shady rumors.

Shado2k2
03-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Yes well that's why I was kind of hoping for some sort of confirmation or refusal from more or less official direction rather than just some shady rumors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah well we all live in hope, i guess the only way we'll find out is when it gets installed.
Truth is i'm that confident that it will be Securom that i'll stake Ark's wages on it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

BobV_07
03-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Starforce: Isn't that something to do with Star Wars?

Luke, use the starforce! No! That will mess up R2D2.

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/photopoint/0037/0046.jpg

eddie_wood
03-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes well that's why I was kind of hoping for some sort of confirmation or refusal from more or less official direction rather than just some shady rumors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I respect your stance mate, but if Starforce have acknowledged and fixed the USB issue, what's left to worry about? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are you sure you can't be convinced either way? It's going to be a great game!

Antrodemus
03-10-2005, 11:25 AM
On and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and and on and on and on, goes the rumour mill.

People, or at least those who are in doubt - don't believe the haters, go one better, and buy a piece of Starforce-protected software, and if it works, great. If not, seek assistance, like we do with any PC issue.

Like Eddie said, the USB drive issue was fixed almost a year ago! The haters will stop at nothing to scare the bejaysus out of you, because they can no longer buy one copy of a game, and make umpteen copies for their mates, get a no-cd, and look all kewl 'n' 1337 'n' stuff.

Nothing is set in stone, regarding potential problems with Starforce. I currently have 4 SF-prot'd games, and all work perfectly happily, with 6 "Alcohol 120%" images mounted!. As long as I don't actually run the Alcohol prog, there's no problem.

Don't miss out on what could be the naval sim of the last 10 years, simply on the hearsay generated by some bedroom-crackers. If you've waited as long as the rest of us have for SHIII, you owe it to yourself to find out for sure.

A.

Willey
03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Silent Hunter III does have StarForce. Check this "Review":

http://www.9teuflottille.de/site/reviews/sh3/sh3_dt.html

http://www.9teuflottille.de/site/reviews/sh3/8.jpg

^^at least that's how it looks like with Panzers.

Make_H
03-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, like I said it's more about the principles..I don't have that much of a problem with it if there's some sort of clear notification about it and a possoibility to uninstall it without having it reinstall itself or causing any harm after being uninstalled. Well, gotta see after more people get their hands on the game. Thanks for the info.