PDA

View Full Version : The Luftwaffe's Deadliest Mission

Pirschjaeger
02-20-2008, 03:35 AM
The Documentary (http://www.stage6.com/History---World-War-II/video/2102262/Luftwaffe's-Deadliest-Mission)

Would you have done it?

Feathered_IV
02-20-2008, 03:54 AM
Probably. When you are positive that you are dead anyway, a chance to get in a blow before you die is pretty strong.

BTW, Is that show designed for people with alzheimers disease? It's about ten minutes of content and the rest is just repeats of the same footage and narration over and over again.

Pirschjaeger
02-20-2008, 04:26 AM
It's a typical modern documentary. Rather than fill a time slot with content I guess it's easier to fill content with time in the form of repetition. It's a question of quantity vs quality with the former becoming less and less important.

But, since there were only 24 successful strikes and very few survivor/witnesses remaining, I guess the extra research might have run things over budget.

I tried to imagine myself in that situation and in those times. At 20 years old we are all indestructible. Another thing to consider would be the conditions after surrendering in WW1. I'm 41 and I'd have to say that after seeing the results of an ongoing campaign involving the bombing of women and children I'd want revenge. It's a common human emotion.

So, yes, I would do it as many times as I could. I would be strategic as possible about it so I could survive to do it again the next day.

leitmotiv
02-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I gather this was the "Dogfights" series show on the "Elbe" mission---crashing U.S. heavies?

I honestly couldn't stand this series---arcade game as "history" but this particular show did impress me---I bought the book on the mission. Having been in three steel rending, high G auto crashes, I can appreciate the strange physics of high speed crashes. I can't help but admire the nerve of anybody who made precision crash attacks. That 109 pilot who successfully struck the lead aircraft of the box, and whose aircraft flipped onward into a second B-24 was the canniest, luckiest gentleman I'd ever seen in my life---what a Monte Carlo shot!

Could/would I have tried that? I tend to be very pessimistic, I doubt if I would have willingly volunteered for such a mission. Trying smash attacks in 46 is difficult enough!

Pirschjaeger
02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
The ramming you are referring to was something else. As you said he cut the leader's cockpit clean off and tumbled into the deputy bomber and then lived. Incredible. Deflection shots are one thing but deflection ramming? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The second incident was also interesting. He'd met 4 P51 head on and was sprayed with the 50s. Then while injured he regained control of his plane to find he'd dropped in just above the bomber formation. Instead of running for safety he inverted and rammed a B24. Amazingly all survived.

These are the war stories I like to read about where people go way beyond the norm to get the job done. The B17 pilots were pretty amazing too.

But it reminded me of how "off" our damage models are. The first 109 sawed a bomber in half and went on to damage another plane while remaining relatively intact. The second left his left wind embedded in the B17. Oleg's 109's explode just be touching wingtips. I hope this will be corrected in BoB.

leitmotiv
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Having just looked at some screenshots of a mass attack on a KING GEORGE V battleship in which it was sedately sailing along while German dive bombers and torp aircraft turned it into a sieve, I am reminded of the extraordinary unreality of 1C "reality"! 46 Is very seductive, but it is like a drugged experience!