PDA

View Full Version : No cursor at opening scene of Myst4!

NaZGuLL1964
12-11-2004, 05:17 AM
I bought Myst4 a couple of weeks ago and still I am not able to play the game. After initial problems with no sound and no cursor at startup, the only thing that's isn't working at the moment is the cursor, the lack of it I mean. The problem is that no hand cursor is visible and therefore there is noway you can press a screenbutton to start the game from the opening scene. So the opening screen is pretty familiar to me, I know all the little details. I call this THE CURSOR problem.

After searching several forums, I have done the following to tackle this problem:

- OS WINXP PRO new install
- different display drivers 4.12beta and 4.10 from ATI
- different mouse drivers / already tried standard USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard.
- made a second admin. account (installed game under account, still no cursor).
- made a second limited account (installed game under account, still no cursor).
- Latest patch installed v1.02

System:

Motherboard: MSI NEO2 Platinum -54G
CPU : AMD FX55
Memory : 2x512MB Mushkin PC3500 Level2
Soundcard : Audigy1 with sounddrivers from Audigy1 and tools from Audigy Z
Videocard : Asus X800pro.
Mouse: Logitech bluetooth diNovo keyboard/mouse combination

I have directx 9.0c installed (4.09.0000.0904). Directx Diagnostic Tool indicates there's no problem.

I have changed an option in the mouse driver where you can make visible the position of the pointer when you press the CTRL key. The location of pointer is then encircled. This shows me that the pointer is located at the bottom of the windowed screen. Moving the mouse doesn't work, the pointer hardly moves from it center bottom position, it falls back immediately.

Who could help me or give me a direction to look for?

NaZGuLL1964
12-11-2004, 05:17 AM
I bought Myst4 a couple of weeks ago and still I am not able to play the game. After initial problems with no sound and no cursor at startup, the only thing that's isn't working at the moment is the cursor, the lack of it I mean. The problem is that no hand cursor is visible and therefore there is noway you can press a screenbutton to start the game from the opening scene. So the opening screen is pretty familiar to me, I know all the little details. I call this THE CURSOR problem.

After searching several forums, I have done the following to tackle this problem:

- OS WINXP PRO new install
- different display drivers 4.12beta and 4.10 from ATI
- different mouse drivers / already tried standard USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard.
- made a second admin. account (installed game under account, still no cursor).
- made a second limited account (installed game under account, still no cursor).
- Latest patch installed v1.02

System:

Motherboard: MSI NEO2 Platinum -54G
CPU : AMD FX55
Memory : 2x512MB Mushkin PC3500 Level2
Soundcard : Audigy1 with sounddrivers from Audigy1 and tools from Audigy Z
Videocard : Asus X800pro.
Mouse: Logitech bluetooth diNovo keyboard/mouse combination

I have directx 9.0c installed (4.09.0000.0904). Directx Diagnostic Tool indicates there's no problem.

I have changed an option in the mouse driver where you can make visible the position of the pointer when you press the CTRL key. The location of pointer is then encircled. This shows me that the pointer is located at the bottom of the windowed screen. Moving the mouse doesn't work, the pointer hardly moves from it center bottom position, it falls back immediately.

Who could help me or give me a direction to look for?

dkarlh
12-25-2004, 05:30 AM
I did have the very same problem.
My operating system is also XP Pro, however, my hardware is completely different (Intel P IV, Nvidia GeForce TI 4600.
What works for me is to run the game in the guest account - no idea why but it works.

NaZGuLL1964
12-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your reply, I tried it, but it didn't work. Official UBIsoft support doesn't seem to be able to help me either. They refer to my graphics card which they say they don't fully support. They say perhaps a future patch will solve my problem :-(

I really don't understand it, I have the feeling UBIsoft have messed something up in there engine and aren't able to release a quick fix. The problem I have encountered isn't unique, as a matter of fact it can be reproduced on different platforms. For my particular system the problem is that non of the known cures work.