PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Videos: USAF & RAF bomb the Nazis night & day, fighters attack & more



zeno303
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In October 2011 Newsletter

Hello World War 2 aircraft fans --

You are invited to drop by Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/ to view this months flight of six classic World War 2 aviation videos streaming over the Web. This month we're showing nonstop air action in the skies over Europe with six action packed features.

As always, all of the videos showing on our web site are for your free viewing pleasure. NEW Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/ZenosWarbirds to see previously unreleased videos from Zeno's vault, sneak previews of new productions and more!

Now showing "At the Matinee" at Zeno's Drive-In
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/FFTSsmallest.jpg
"The Fight For The Sky: Allied fighters win air superiority over Europe" In February 1944, General Jimmy Doolittle "turned loose" his fighters to go after the Luftwaffe where they lived in Western Europe. This marked a radical change in strategy from the disastrous tactics of 1943 that kept escorting fighters chained to bombers. Now, US fighters, including the P-51, probed deep into Germany, catching the opposition on the ground. This feature combines thrilling combat footage with some of the most action packed, down and dirty World War II gun camera film you'll ever see. This is the original, uncut 40-minute version of "The Fight for the Sky."
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/TFTNsmallest.jpg
"Target for Tonight: RAF Bomber Command in a Night Action" follows the crew "F for Freddie," a Vicker's Wellington medium bomber (Millerton Station, Group 33), through an entire low level night mission attacking a oil storage depot at a rail yard. The film highlights the participation of not only servicemen from all classes from the British Isles, but also Canadians and a navigator that sounds a lot like a Yank volunteer. The film exemplifies the understatement, dry humor, and "business as usual" approach typical of British films of the period, along with a clear "get the job done" attitude.
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/TargetNew150.jpg
"Target for Today" This is the classic World War II feature length documentary detailing a "maximum effort" daylight bombing mission deep into Germany. There are no actors in "Target For Today." This film was shot under combat conditions and features the officers and men of the 8th Air Force going about their deadly business. All aspects of an actual major raid in 1943, from early planning through final touch down and crew debriefings, are covered in this very thorough account. Anklam. Danzig and the FW-190 plant at Marienburg are the targets hit. Although inflating the strategic bombing campaign's effectiveness through 1943, this is no sugar coated propaganda film. Over 1 and 1/2 hours of engrossing World War II footage.
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/Whtetailweb150.jpg
"White Tailed Marauders The 323rd Bomb Group and their B-26s" Exclusive Original Production - Rare color film of B-26 Marauders in action in the Spring of 1945. See the 453rd, 454th, 455th, and 455th Bomb Squadrons operating against Germany from their base in Laon, France. All color footage really brings this bygone era startlingly back to life. Where possible, individual aircraft and their crews are identified. Special treats include escorting P-38s and a round trip mission. A must for Marauder fans everywhere
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/NightFighters.jpg
"Luftwaffe Night Fighters & more" Captured Newsreels. German combat cameramen were celebrities for a good reason. Supplementary text in English has been added, but the pictures tell the story here. Of course these films have an obvious propaganda slant, but they are also a unique collection of seldom seen World War 2 combat footage, often in very good to excellent condition, that shows events as they happened. Some highlights: Daily life on a Luftwaffe night fighter base including shots of leading Aces Leopold Fellerer (41) & Prinz zu Sayn-Wittentgenstein (83). Rommel visits the 21st Panzer Division (with many shots of armored vehicles) and Pips Priller's JG 26 fighter squadron in France. German FLAK units and Italian Macchi C.202 Folgore fighters oppose Allied air attacks in Italy. Luftwaffe pilots take a ski vacation.
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/P47Assembly150.jpg
"Uncrating and Field Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt" This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 in a field using nothing more than muscle, unpowered hand tools, and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps! You'll also get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is literally bolted together by field personnel. A must see for P-47 fans and shade tree mechanics alike!

If you haven't stopped by Zeno's Drive-In before, we also feature 1940-45 vintage WWII Army & Navy films and pilot's manuals on how to fly the F4U, F6F, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, P-61, TBF/TBM, AT-6/SNJ, B-17, B-24, B-25, A-20, A-26, B-26, B-29, and Stearman N2S. Alert! - don't miss the F-86 & B-58!

Free admission for all. That's over 14 hours of rockin' World War II props & jets for free viewing over the Internet!

Zeno

Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In
World War II Aviation Videos Playing Online 24/7
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/
Now on Twitter @ZenosWarbirds

WW2 Videos: USAF & RAF bomb the Nazis night & day, fighters attack & more

ytareh
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Nice ...thanks.

JtD
10-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Actually they are bombing Germany. Can you please change your threat title to something less racist? Thanks.

zeno303
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Er --it was the Nazis that were the racists. It was a war against Fascism.

Sometimes I fear for our educational system. Do they still teach history?

Z

JtD
10-08-2011, 02:21 AM
So, with you being racist, you're a Nazi?

Bremspropeller
10-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Er --it was the Nazis that were the racists.

The Nazis weren't the only rascists in the war http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It was a war against Fascism.

Most definately not.

MB_Avro_UK
10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Treetop64
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by zeno303:
Er --it was the Nazis that were the racists. It was a war against Fascism.

Sometimes I fear for our educational system. Do they still teach history?

Z

Not every German was a Nazi, particularly among the civilian population, yet it was the civilian population that suffered the most from the allied bombing campaign. Not only in Germany, but in German occupied territories as well.

Moreover, there was (and still is) plenty of rascism to go around. It wasn't a trait exclusive to the Nazis.

Yes, "they" still teach history. You should read up on some.

zeno303
10-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Isn't freedom of speech wonderful? A lot of people take it for granted.

Cheers,

Z

ROXunreal
10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I'll be disappointed if we don't have a discussion page for every bomb dropped on Germany in this thread.

JtD
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm annoyed that racism is OK on this board and posters get away with that.

It has little to do with bombs dropped on Germany. There was a war, after all.

MB_Avro_UK
10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

During WW2,all Germans were regarded as Nazis.

That is the historical context of the OP's thread in my opinion.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

JtD
10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Neither true nor to the point. Racist crap just doesn't belong here.

How would you feel if someone came along calling the Tuskegee airmen the "monkey squadron", and then someone else came trolling along "during WW2, all folks of African ethnicity were regarded as monkeys"? Maybe you'd think "racist idiots" - at least that's what I'd do, same way I do it here.

But I guess once you make money by showcasing other peoples deaths, you don't really care about small things like that any more.

Over and out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Rjel
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Doesn't racism have to be directed toward a race of people? Didn't think Nazis were, though I think they thought so. I didn't think Germans were a race onto themselves either.

zeno303
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
The word "Nazi" makes some people feel uncomfortable. It should and I'm glad it has sparked a discussion here. It's important to remember what they stood for and what they did. If they had won, it would be a very different world. Read "Mein Kampf" -- straight from the horse's mouth.

Z

ROXunreal
10-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Racism is a completely wrong term for calling all German people in WW2 nazis. It may be uninformed or a bad generalization, but calling it racist is, well, incorrect since Germans aren't a "race" nor is generalizing people of a nation according to their political leadership "racism" any more than calling Russians bolsheviks is or calling the Japanese militarists is. Simply the wrong term.

zeno303
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't have a problem using the term "Nazi Germany" in reference to the Third Reich.

I agree that not all Germans were members of the party or sympathetic to its ideology (I never said they were), but unfortunately more than enough Germans bought what Hitler was selling.(Funny how all the Nazi's magically disappeared from German soil in May, 1945.) And yes, there were racists in other countries at the time, including in the US, but to excuse the enormous crimes committed by the Nazis on that basis is ludicrous.

If ever anybody advertised their intentions ahead of time, it was Hitler and the Nazi Party. Hitler made his hatred of the Jews, free speech, and democracy clear in Mein Kampf in 1925-26, well before he came to power in 1933. It was a best seller. He espoused the idea that the Aryan/Germanic peoples were a master race destined to rule over the "Untermensch," sub humans, which included just about everybody that weren't Germans. He also openly espoused the idea that the German people needed "living space" at the expense of other countries and that Germany was best led by a dictator with absolute power. These ideas were shouted from the roof tops openly and repeatedly in giant rallies before and after the Nazis came to power. Its tragic that millions of innocent people (including Germans) died as a result.

The reason that the previous poster's use of the word "racist" in reference to my original post doesn't seem to make sense is because it doesn't make sense. It's a common tactic used by defenders of extremest ideologies to run around calling other people "racists." In otherwise polite conversation, in our PC society screaming "racism" tends to deflect the fact that the person screaming it is defending the indefensible. Its a way of shouting down ideas you don't like by obscuring the real issue.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, comparing my use of "Nazi" with calling the Tuskegee Airmen "monkeys" is also ludicrous and a patently false analogy. It's just another piece of missdirection designed to obscure the issue that the Nazis were real and that plenty of Germans went along with Hitler. Calling me a "racist" won't make the Nazis go away.

I don't blame the Germans of today for what happened 75 years ago. In my experience most are ardent defenders of democracy who understand full well the Hell that Hitler and the Nazis unleashed on the rest of the world.

Z

Treetop64
10-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Fair enough. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

We hope you'll understand that the phrase "USAF and RAF bomb the Nazis night and day" comes off as sounding a bit naive to most, as the vast majority of those who died in those attacks weren't card-carrying nazis, particularly in the case of the victims of the RAF bombing campaign, but were regular citizens of their country just like you and me. This was more than a simple matter of name-calling.

Moreover, most of Hitler's ranting about superior race, sub-humans, living space, etc. was a sentiment directed primarily - almost exclusively - to the Slavic populations to the east of Germany, inside Soviet Russia and her satellite states. The war in the east is the fulcrum upon which the war in Europe ultimately rested.

As you stated, however, none of that excuses the officialdom of the national socialists for ushering in the war in the first place.

Frequent_Flyer
10-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by JtD:
Neither true nor to the point. Racist crap just doesn't belong here.

How would you feel if someone came along calling the Tuskegee airmen the "monkey squadron", and then someone else came trolling along "during WW2, all folks of African ethnicity were regarded as monkeys"? Maybe you'd think "racist idiots" - at least that's what I'd do, same way I do it here.

But I guess once you make money by showcasing other peoples deaths, you don't really care about small things like that any more.

Over and out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

You should really learn the definition of " racism ".Instead of just trying to be inflammatory.

Frequent_Flyer
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by zeno303:
I don't have a problem using the term "Nazi Germany" in reference to the Third Reich.

I agree that not all Germans were members of the party or sympathetic to its ideology (I never said they were), but unfortunately more than enough Germans bought what Hitler was selling.(Funny how all the Nazi's magically disappeared from German soil in May, 1945.) And yes, there were racists in other countries at the time, including in the US, but to excuse the enormous crimes committed by the Nazis on that basis is ludicrous.

If ever anybody advertised their intentions ahead of time, it was Hitler and the Nazi Party. Hitler made his hatred of the Jews, free speech, and democracy clear in Mein Kampf in 1925-26, well before he came to power in 1933. It was a best seller. He espoused the idea that the Aryan/Germanic peoples were a master race destined to rule over the "Untermensch," sub humans, which included just about everybody that weren't Germans. He also openly espoused the idea that the German people needed "living space" at the expense of other countries and that Germany was best led by a dictator with absolute power. These ideas were shouted from the roof tops openly and repeatedly in giant rallies before and after the Nazis came to power. Its tragic that millions of innocent people (including Germans) died as a result.

The reason that the previous poster's use of the word "racist" in reference to my original post doesn't seem to make sense is because it doesn't make sense. It's a common tactic used by defenders of extremest ideologies to run around calling other people "racists." In otherwise polite conversation, in our PC society screaming "racism" tends to deflect the fact that the person screaming it is defending the indefensible. Its a way of shouting down ideas you don't like by obscuring the real issue.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, comparing my use of "Nazi" with calling the Tuskegee Airmen "monkeys" is also ludicrous and a patently false analogy. It's just another piece of missdirection designed to obscure the issue that the Nazis were real and that plenty of Germans went along with Hitler. Calling me a "racist" won't make the Nazis go away.

I don't blame the Germans of today for what happened 75 years ago. In my experience most are ardent defenders of democracy who understand full well the Hell that Hitler and the Nazis unleashed on the rest of the world.

Z

Very well said !!

joeap
10-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Oh geez, the drama never ends here. "Nazi" is not a racist term-but of course not all Germans were Nazis. Hell plenty of folks in other parts of Europe, even from occupied countries were.

Well thanks for the videos.