PDA

View Full Version : Customizing What We Carry

Ulicies
06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I just bought ACB, and I have to say, I've had an epiphany.

My opinion on the worthlessness of the new throwing knives remain. They are inaccurate, and ineffective once you reach a certain point in the game.

After the throwing knives stopped killing in one hit, I switched over to the hidden blade poison darts, and I've never looked back. It's not only more fun to use hidden blade attachments over weapons like throwing knives and swords, but I now prefer their inherent gameplay mechanics.

Poison darts are stealthy; they don't alert guards or civilians when aiming, once fired, and even as the guard is laying there, convulsing on the floor. It not only can be used as a ranged replacement for throwing knives to keep rooftop guards from detecting you, but they also can be used at close range to kill the guards without having to engage in full-on combat. They're more accurate than throwing knives, and now that they've sped up the aiming process, its dispatching speed is only slower than throwing knives by a nearly unnoticeable degree.

I love the hidden blade. I love customizing the D-Pad to only the hidden blade, its attachments, and the crossbow. It's so fun feeling like you're a master assassin who only needs to use his hidden blade and the crossbow.

Which brings me to my idea: I would like to be able to customize what you carry, including everything, from weapons, to gadgets. Instead of being able to carry a certain amount of everything, you would customize a total size, or weight, of how much you can carry (granted, this would never turn into the Bethesda system where if you accidentally pick up too much you'll be over-encumbered; you would never be able to carry more than what you customized for). That way, it doesn't feel like you're walking around with an entire shop's arsenal in your little pouches. Not only would this make the game more realistic, but you could also optimize for certain amounts of play. Instead of carrying a little bit of everything on your back, you could take off everything except the crossbow and hidden blade; then you could optimize the rest of the weight for ammunition for bolts, bullets, and poison darts. Or, in the opposite direction, you could take off everything except throwing knives, bombs, and a dagger. Then, you could feel like a ninja who walks around with tons of "shurikens" and bombs.

This would not only let players tailor their inventory to their own style of play, but it could give a more realistic sense to how you approach a situation, where you feel more like an assassin, and not Rambo.

People right now are just more prone to haphazardly rush into a situation, and rely on the fact that they have absolutely everything to fall back on if things go wrong, like bombs. With this new mechanic, where they have to choose to either bring in tons of weapons, or tons of equipment, it would make them more cautious on how they approach a situation.

But I realize that such an incremental change would take a bit of work on the developers' part, so let's start small: Only have a limit on the ammunition.

Let's use an example:
Let's say that the end-game, maximum number of equipment pieces that Ezio can carry is 50. That includes everything that can be purchased in the ammunition section, plus the hidden blade poison darts. Each different gadget can be implemented in Ezio's inventory in increments of 5.
That way, there will only be a maximum of 10 different gadget icons on the weapon wheel, and you don't run into the problem of trying to add one of every type of bomb in the game onto the wheel.
Let's also say that at the beginning, you have a number of 10-20 equipment pieces applicable, and slowly increase the number by 5 or 10 throughout the game. When you customize your ammunition, you can come up with a wide assortment of combinations, ranging from 50 crossbow bolts, 25 throwing knives/25 bombs, 20 darts/20 bolts/10 bullets, to 5 fire bombs/5 flash bombs/5 smoke bombs/5 poison bombs/30 hidden gun bullets.

Kramerisgamer
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
If you hold down x then throwing knives one shot as well as shoot 3 knives at the same time. And missing with them is a result of not locking on a target.

iN3krO
06-20-2011, 03:56 PM
1 bomb should be 5 slots (exemple).
buying bags would add 5 slots (or 10).

@Kramerisgamer I hate that ****ing stupid and unrealistic feature --'' ac1 throwing knife + short blade combo rocked a lot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

brotherhood511
06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah I learned the hard way with this. I used the HB all the time and I thought I'd switch over to crossbow/knives to mix things up. The crossbow worked fine, but as soon as I used the knives, *bam*, detected because it didn't kill the guard in one hit. Then my next favourite was the poison darts. Too bad I got them late in the game.

Ulicies
06-20-2011, 06:03 PM
The crossbow is definitely my new favorite weapon in the AC series. I even love to use it in combat; countering and shooting everyone at close range is pretty fun, and it makes me feel like a sniper who isn't afraid of getting up-close and personal.

@Kramer: I didn't know about holding down X (because back in AC2, it just let me throw at a constant rate, so I discounted it in Brotherhood), but they are definitely inaccurate. I only throw any kind of ranged weapon when I'm locked on, and they still miss 1 out of 5 times.

Black_Widow9
06-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Please post in one of the Feedback Threads.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>