PDA

View Full Version : Is Lagg5 = La5?

KraljMatjaz
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
so, is it the same plane?

in same sources across the net I saw this designation Lagg5. i know first la5s were actually reengined lagg3s, so that may be the issue, but does la5 (not F or FN) in any way differ from what is believed to be lagg5?

thank you in advance

KraljMatjaz
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
so, is it the same plane?

in same sources across the net I saw this designation Lagg5. i know first la5s were actually reengined lagg3s, so that may be the issue, but does la5 (not F or FN) in any way differ from what is believed to be lagg5?

thank you in advance

VW-IceFire
06-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I could be wrong but I think its primarily from Finnish sources that did not have completely accurate information on the aircraft.

It was always the La-5 (Lavochkin was purely in charge for the design) except maybe very early on in the project (then it may have been LaGG-5). But yes...its the same plane. Its often refered to as LaGG-5 in some sources and not in others.

I don't think they were very aware of the F or FN designations.

KraljMatjaz
06-01-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks for replying. however, i find it interesting, that for example some german aces kill lists have Lagg5s and La5s listed.

JG53Frankyboy
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
LaGG5 , LaG5 and La5 is all the same plane.

about killlists, perhaps they made a difference by the canopy , bubble ones ar La5 , the other LaG5.
one must imagine that in wartime the foes did know very few from eachother !

Xiolablu3
06-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Lavochkin was one of the 3 designers on the Lagg3. Lavochkin, Gorbunov and Goudkov.

He then developed the La5 on his own, under the name Lavochkin.

The la5 is Lavochkins own development of the Lagg3. Obviously he was better of without the other 2 designers

Or so I have read.

Therefore you may read about Lagg5's or La3's, but the correct term is La5 and Lagg3 of course.

http://wmilitary.neurok.ru/la5.html

Snootles
06-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, the LaGG stands for Lavochkin, Gorbunov, and Gudkov. Lavochkin teamed up with the other two for the specific purpose of creating a fighter out of "delta" compound.

When the LaGG OKB (design bureau) was evacuated, Gudkov stayed behind in Moscow. That was right before the first La-5 conversion flew, so for a tiny while it was called the "LaG-5". Gudkov produced a few design prototypes that fell through because of the evacuations, and a very bad fighter along the same lines as the P-39 whose failure resulted in the disbanding of his OKB.

Very soon thereafter, Gorbunov left too, for whatever reason. He produced a prototype for a pretty good light fighter based on an extensive redesign of the LaGG-3. However, it received little attention because the La-5 and the Yak fighters already seemed to be doing the job.

Kocur_
06-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Gorbunov and Gudkov designed M82 LaGG-3 conversions too, they also flew and IIRC one or even two of G-guys were faster then Lavotchkin BUT... only Lavotchkin was Beria's protege...