PDA

View Full Version : night air attacks?

Kilgore65
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Playing 1.4b out of Bordeaux and experiencing night air attacks? Did this happen for real or is it a bug?

AVGWarhawk
07-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes there were attacks made at night. Planes where painted black and they used radar. Quite effective at it as well. Find and read a book called Black May. It is a good book on Allied defenses during the war.

lbhskier37
07-01-2005, 10:11 AM
I know for sure there were radar equiped Cats that operated at night in the Pacific, not sure about in the atlantic though. It would be strange if you were being attacked by hurricane, P38s, or avengers though, as to my knowledge none of them were ever equiped for hunting subs at night.

AVGWarhawk
07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
From what I read, only the bombers had the equipment for night attack. None of the fighters.

Bubblehead1948
07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Crack a history book. Read "Iron Coffins" by Werner. by 1944 it was getting so dangerous for a u-boat to be on the surface at night in the Bay of Biscay, that many captains
would only do so if equipped with radar detection gear.

Reason: radar equipped night bombers. They could straddle you with stick of 500 pounders before you had barely time to know they were overhead.

HeibgesU999
07-01-2005, 06:07 PM
The Allied planes would pick the uboat up on radar, drop to a low altitude, kick on the searchlight at the last minute, and surprise the uboat commander with depthcharges and 50cal.

panthercules
07-01-2005, 06:29 PM
I was surprised to have this happen to me last night on my first patrol with 1.4b - it was a PBY (or similar looking seaplane type), attacking me in the Bay of Biscay on my way out from St. Nazaire about 500km SW of the closest part of Britain - I knew that this would eventually become a problem but I didn't expect it to happen so soon (only March 1941 for me) - fortunately he missed on his first run and I was able to crash dive and get away from him.

Guess I'll have to run submerged at night and surfaced during the day to get through there - gonna seem wierd/backwards, but at least my lookouts will have a better chance of spotting the planes during the day.

AVGWarhawk
07-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Best to stay down period. Daylight surfacing is a bad deal also. As far as the fighters, wildcats were used to find and attack u-boats. Mostly straffing with .50cals

Bubblehead1948
07-04-2005, 09:26 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif In situations like this, sometimes that bad weather everybody *****es about can be your friend, particularly if mixed with rain.
Excellent time to charge the batteries. Oh, yeah, you can be spotted and attacked by aircraft in bad weather, I have been, but the likelyhood of this happening is considerably reduced.

Sgt_Starbuck
07-04-2005, 10:15 PM
The planes even spot my snorkel at night in a storm. I find that a little hard to believe in 1944.

Sarge

AVGWarhawk
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Not with radar equipped planes. It is a possiblity and a strong one at that. Germany lost the war in the Atlantic as a result of Allied radar and ASDIC. In 1944 it was certain death for the u-boat crew.

Grey004
07-18-2005, 02:06 AM
Most of the early period of the "Battle of the Atlantic" aircoverage as you know was scarce to say the least.

Later on aircraft designated for night attacks by coastal command use to use this system.After getting a rough sighting by the observers,they would drop a time delayed flare,that would illuminate when sea water reacted with a fuse.
They would drop the flare on the first fly over by the time they would be on the return pass,the flare would have ignited,silhouetting the U boat and making it easier for them to attack.

Apparently this worked quite well,but only when a sighting was possible.

joeap
07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
Guys even the Swordfish late in the war were equipped with radar.

mbabbs
07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
You have to train your crew to breathe only when neccessary and allow the boat to flow with the current instead of using batteries.

You'll survive till the end this way.

GT182
07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Sarge, get the antiradar coating for the snorkel on the IXs. It helps some but not all the time.

I've found that if you sink a ship, they usually get a message out and in no time you have the air attacks. Once you're clear of the area by about 200 kms or more, you can run the snorkel with no problem. And keep you periscope down... they can see the wake from it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Caseck73
07-19-2005, 12:58 AM
The only thing they got wrong about the night attacks, is that they weren't done soley by radar.

Once the bomber came down on the attack run (at least with LIBs and brit bombers) they would turn on a high powered spotlight to pinpoint the U-boat for the attack.

This blinding white light is the last thing many U-boat lookouts saw...