PDA

View Full Version : Naval Service Records

con20or
04-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know where online you can get the naval records of people who served in the Royal Navy in WW1 and WW2?

I looked before, I hit a dead end, I think you have to go in person to some centre in the UK, but just in case anyone knows any different...

AO1_AW_SW_USN
04-15-2006, 05:41 PM
In the US, if one wanted to reference someone's service record, they could simple go to a county/city court house and request a certified copy of it (only if the serviceman/servicewoman elected to make their record public). Unfortunately this has led to a lot of cases of "Identity Theft" here in the states as of late.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but you might want to try the same route. Call a law firm or visit a local courthouse and ask where you may obtain archived military records. It's the best place to start (because they could tell you how to do it the legal way).

con20or
04-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Sorry, I should have pointed out that Im not from the UK, im Irish. It wouildnt be a problem if I was, I could just walk in.

Grey004
04-16-2006, 05:08 PM
@ con20or,
as far as I can recollect,all service records are still confidential,therefore cannot be divulged under the Data Protection Act.

However you maybe able to find a family member who did serve in the navy through the Royal Naval Association.

I'm sorry I have'nt furnished you with the address,I've somehow misled it but you shouldn't have too much of a problem in looking it up.

WilhelmSchulz.
04-17-2006, 02:08 AM
but most of the men are dead.