PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Take off

skissors
09-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Hello all,

Im new to Il2 flight sim, I have the merged forgotten fighters,expansion and PF patched to 4.01. Been having lots of fun with this sim until now. I can not for the life me, take off in a hurricane. Im unable to get the speed up to get off the ground, im struggling to reach 30km an hour. I can take off in any other fighter except this one. Does anybody have any ideas why this could be? Im trying to play the RAF campaign in singapore.

Cheers

Great forum you guys have here. Its helped me out a few times.

skissors
09-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Hello all,

Im new to Il2 flight sim, I have the merged forgotten fighters,expansion and PF patched to 4.01. Been having lots of fun with this sim until now. I can not for the life me, take off in a hurricane. Im unable to get the speed up to get off the ground, im struggling to reach 30km an hour. I can take off in any other fighter except this one. Does anybody have any ideas why this could be? Im trying to play the RAF campaign in singapore.

Cheers

Great forum you guys have here. Its helped me out a few times.

HotelBushranger
09-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'd say your problem is one to do with engine settings. Is your throttle set to 110%. If so, look for the more subtle things. Check your controls for Increase and Decrease Propeller Pitch. This affects how much air gets to the engine, therefor how much power it makes. Secondly, check for Increase and Decrease Mixture. This changes the amount of engine mixture gets to the engine (i.e important). When you configure the controls, get back into game and check the Prop Pitch and Mixture are all set to 100%

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

skissors
09-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Hotelbushranger

Thanks for the info. My mixture was set to 100% but im only able to get up 64% prop pitch.
Im still barely reaching 30 km. It does sound like the engine is'nt giving all its got, but I can't work out why. Also tried the lower prop pitch but with the same results. Im getting 110 power also.
Its got me stumped.

3.JG51_BigBear
09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
What kind of joystick are you using? If you have sliders on your joystick, look to see if prop pitch, under HOTAS settings (at the bottom of where you assign keys to functions in game), has been assigned one of these sliders.

Triggaaar
09-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm also new to IL2 (flight sims in general) and had the same problem with my first plane, the I-16. Throttle was at 110%, and I barely moved (30k - couldn't switch breaks off, so I assume it didn't have any). I quit, loaded again, and it worked fine. I'm playing an unpatched IL2 FB, so thought perhaps it was a bug.

FI-Aflak
09-05-2005, 02:56 PM
are your brakes on? Tap b to see if that helps.

If you can't increase mixture past 64% map increase and decrease mixture to your keyboard instead of a slider on the joystick, and that should let you put it up to 100%

Kuna15
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
What they said.... also I have noticed that you have mentioned that you play campaign. Sometimes during take off if you engage autopilot it can apply brake so you can not take off if you take over the flight again. That is weird but sometimes happens. You must hold "B" (or other custom key, depends what you have selected for brake) key then release it.

Also pay SPECIAL attention to sound (noise http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif) that your aircraft is producing during take off. If you hear squeeky noise that comes from brakes. Generally you must hear engine sound only.

I think this is somehow brake related problem.

VW-IceFire
09-05-2005, 04:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skissors:
Hi Hotelbushranger

Thanks for the info. My mixture was set to 100% but im only able to get up 64% prop pitch.
Im still barely reaching 30 km. It does sound like the engine is'nt giving all its got, but I can't work out why. Also tried the lower prop pitch but with the same results. Im getting 110 power also.
Its got me stumped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Prop pitch should go all the way to 100%.

skissors
09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Cheers everybody
after reading all your replys I figured out my HOTAS saitek x45 was interfering with my prop pitch control, so i was only getting 64% not a 100 like I should. Strange thing is, it is only doing it to the Hurricane aircraft. I have to do a little research into my stick setup.
Thanks again.

Vacillator
09-06-2005, 03:23 AM
I got this a couple of missions after I installed my lovely CH Pro rudder pedals. And a tendancy to flip the plane on landing. Hmmm, I thought. Must be a software problem.

Then I realised I'd assigned brakes to the pedal tilt and was inadvertently tilting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif .

Tully__
09-06-2005, 05:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Strange thing is, it is only doing it to the Hurricane aircraft... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not all aircraft have prop pitch control.

Of those aircraft that do have prop pitch control, some have to be switched out of Auto Pitch mode before it can be manually controlled.

It is likely that you didn't see the problem on other aircraft because one of the above reasons in other aircraft you've tried.

Bluedog72
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'd say your problem is one to do with engine settings. Is your throttle set to 110%. If so, look for the more subtle things. Check your controls for Increase and Decrease Propeller Pitch. This affects how much air gets to the engine, therefor how much power it makes.

----------------------------------------------
No, it doesnt.
Propellor Pitch has nothing to do with the amount of air getting to your engine, your throttle does that. (or your cowl flaps in the case of airflow over the outside of the engine)
Prop pitch adjusts the angle of attack of your propellor's blades through the air.
A lower pitch setting means a greater attack angle, and therefore greater resistance against the engine which results in a lower RPM.
------------------------------------------------

Secondly, check for Increase and Decrease Mixture. This changes the amount of engine mixture gets to the engine (i.e important). When you configure the controls, get back into game and check the Prop Pitch and Mixture are all set to 100%

Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
------------------------------------------------
You are correct, but 'engine mixture' is a pretty vague and confusing term, what is actually being adjusted is the ratio of vaporised fuel to air in the mixture that gets burnt in the combustion chambers.
The higher you go, the less oxygen is contained in a given volume of air, therefore the higher you go, the less fuel can be burned in that same volume of air before flooding occurs (ie, so much fuel vapour in the mix that there isnt enough oxygen to support combustion)
So the higher you go, the more you have to 'lean back' your mixture and the less power your engine is capable of outputting.
'Blowers', either turbochargers (exhaust driven via a turbine) or superchargers (mechanically driven via a belt or more commonly gears)were used to overcome this problem to a certain degree by compressing the air before it entered the engine.
Very simply, forcing two or three times the air into each cylinder meant that they each contained two or three more times the amount of oxygen, and could therefore burn two or three times the amount of fuel at a given altitude(enabling the use of a higher, or richer, mixture setting), and therefore produce more power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't mean to pick your post apart mate, just wanted to clarrify so no one gets the wrong idea.

PS 'two or three times' is a wild vague guess, I'm not sure just how much compression a blower setup produces, but you get the idea.