PDA

View Full Version : Is this Game Worth Buying?

Krotos
03-09-2007, 05:23 AM
I know it is early days, but I am curious as to whether or not this game is worth buying.

Let me state right off of the top that I was once a huge supporter and fan of Ubi, however, alas, I can hardly be considered so today. They have become widely known as a "console first" company and relegated PC games to the lowest echelon on thier priorities list. SH III was completely unsupported since the disbanded the dev group almost as fast as the game was released -- as a result, it is an unfinished game with horrible and unresolved flaws. Their other franchises like GRAW 2, and BIA are tragedies etc. So, is this game any better?

I haven't read any of the company hype about this game, and I am not going to either. I will simply leave it to the fan base to inform me as to whether or not this game is worth it.

Looking forward to responses.

nastutt
03-09-2007, 05:54 AM
I am sure others will tell everyone what the game is like this weekend so you will find out then.

I dont agree with SH3 being unfinished or having flaws I cant really think of any flaws it has and as for being unfinished what would a completely finished game be in your opinion? It has a semi-dynamic campaign which is very good for simulators these days. The next game promises as even better campaign. You cant complain at that.

As far as gamplay and graphics go I think SH3 is a very good balance and other firms should look very closely to what has been achieved here as the only other game that I can think of thats comes close to SH3s achievements is Falcon 4.

Texan5224
03-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Krotos:
I know it is early days, but I am curious as to whether or not this game is worth buying.

Let me state right off of the top that I was once a huge supporter and fan of Ubi, however, alas, I can hardly be considered so today. They have become widely known as a "console first" company and relegated PC games to the lowest echelon on thier priorities list. SH III was completely unsupported since the disbanded the dev group almost as fast as the game was released -- as a result, it is an unfinished game with horrible and unresolved flaws. Their other franchises like GRAW 2, and BIA are tragedies etc. So, is this game any better?

I haven't read any of the company hype about this game, and I am not going to either. I will simply leave it to the fan base to inform me as to whether or not this game is worth it.

Looking forward to responses.

Good question...

I would say that the game is worth every penny, and that it's definitely a complete game without any bugs so to speak. I say this from experience of course.

You see, I was one of the lucky ones to have received several copies of this game via Ubisoft, to test out and post comments such as this. Their reasoning for this was because they like Americans and also like people with the last name Smith. I got lucky I guess.

As for the game... well yes it's complete and bug free, and better yet runs smoothly on just about any processor. So if you have a PIV with 1.5mhz processor and 256MB or so of Ram and a 16mb shared video card, then I'm betting that you be perfectly fine. Of course, I'd upgrade to a 32MB card if possible, but that's just my recommendations after playing SH4 for over two hundred hours.

Then again, I really don't know anyone in Ubisoft, and I haven't received any copies of the game, so I do believe that I'm not able to answer your question until AFTER it's release.

Sorry mate...

Mr Smith

TheRealPotoroo
03-09-2007, 06:33 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Krotos
03-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Well, of course folks are free to disagree with me on the state of SH III (as I am sure they will), but I think most of my community is in agreement with me on this point; one needs only to look at the number of "mods" designed to simply correct things like blurry gages, clumsy controls, lowball resolution, and unmapable controls, far too few merchant models, crew micromanagement issues etc. etc.

I eagerly await the first impressions of this game from those brave eneough to buy it when it first hits store shelves.

Cheers.

NorthStorme
03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Texan....are you on crack or something???? You made me laugh mate http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Krotos, to answer your question, SH3 has been out over 2 years now and, what makes this game one of the best replay value on the market is, his community...i mean, even after 2 years i`m still amazed of what SH3 looks like today.

As an example: GWX + SH3 Commander + a couple of mods like Nvdrifter Longer Wakes, Sobers 3D Waves etc.

It`s a fact that SH4 will be supported by the community of submarine simulation like Subsim and it will have the same replay value that SH3 have and even better in my humble opinion.

So, if you still have any doubt if SH4 is worth your money, you`re probably be the one in a couple of months who will say to his self "I should have bought that game when it came out"

By the way, only the first batch of the North American edition will have the goodies. After, it will be sold as a plain edition.

nastutt
03-13-2007, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krotos:
one needs only to look at the number of "mods" designed to simply correct things like blurry gages, clumsy controls, lowball resolution, and unmapable controls, far too few merchant models, crew micromanagement issues etc. etc.QUOTE]

These arent bugs just rough edges. I dont think SH3 was bugged when it came out and the subsequent patch fixed relatively little really. The community added a lot but then thats the sign of good programming that this could be done. I have forgivings about SH4 though due to the lack of a demo and rumours about it requiring a quick fix on release. But I cant really beeive this is the case, no one could be stupid enough to knowingly release a game is such a state.

Antrodemus
03-13-2007, 03:41 PM
SHIII is an absolute peach of a game these days, what with its patches, and GWX + patches and the quantum leaps in hardware capabilities in the relatively short timespan since SHIII was first released. Like XPSP2, SHIII is in it's prime right now, a real sweet-spot. In that respect, it's a slight, i.e. miniscule, microscopic b!tch that SHIV is just around the corner. SHIII still has many, many miles left in the tank.

klcarroll
03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Bottom Line: .....I'm playing SH3 with the GWX expansion, and I've never seen anything that even comes close!

Those that are familiar with my posts know that I am not bashful about making critical observations: .....But in this case, I have to insist that even in spite of some "rough edges" SH3 is the best there is!

....And with the exception of the "Narwhal Class Boat" issue, ...I expect SH4 to be a significant improvement!

Answer truthfully!! ....If you're not going to play the Silent Hunter series, what other sub-sim are you going to go with???????

danurve
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Large Pizza, 2 toppings, 2 dozen red-garlic* wings, 6-pack; 30$
Finished in an hour, maybe some leftovers.

SH3; 20$ and still going strong.
You have mini-mods and supermods like GWX, NYGM & WAC for almost endless gameplay.

Worth it? What the heck kind of question is that, take a look around here or subsim. I think the real question is does someone want to spend the time, not the money.

*red-garlic, one of my favorite chicken wing sauces from a local place. Friggin awsome wings.

Antrodemus
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by danurve:
Large Pizza, 2 toppings, 2 dozen red-garlic* wings, 6-pack; 30$
Finished in an hour, maybe some leftovers.

Fair winds you say?!? Tell that to your nearest and dearest when they sit downwind of you.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

danurve
03-13-2007, 04:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

[]_---_[] KITT
03-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Worth every penny and more.

This game can heal a broken heart. Or make a broken heart depending on the circumstances http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif