PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft have armor flaps?

crenny
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Just answer the question please.

crenny
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Just answer the question please.

R_Mutt
02-17-2005, 10:43 AM
lol.....no http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

crazyivan1970
02-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Mutt, behave or i`ll see you in my office http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone can help crenny out?

Yimmy
02-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Armour flaps?

So, is that like, flaps made of armour?

Maple_Tiger
02-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Does this refer to PF, or some tank sim?

Equilizer
02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
I think it's for the Il2's oil cooler. The box underneath the cockpit. IRL I believe you could close them while you did your attack run so you wouldn't get a stray round in there.

TriggerHappy57
02-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Press R until the HUD say radiator closed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EnGaurde
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
roll the plane on its back and then attack.

btw im not joking.

try it and see.

just dont try it at low level, youll auger in.

dive inverted, youll get a brilliant view of the lead up to the target and have all your soft squishy bits tucked up out of the way.

HANS-57
02-17-2005, 06:13 PM
The BF-109 is a perfect example to look at. When flying look at your plane from an external aft view. Set your flaps to combat, normal, landing, whatever. Press R to cycle through "Armor or Cowl Flaps" settings. This actually changes the position of an upper and lower flap covering your radiator's exhaust. Both of these flaps will move together in order to go to the combat/takeoff/landing positions while covering your radiator's exhaust more or less dependent upon your "R" position. Cycle these settings while looking at your control surfaces externally.

I only added such a lengthy explanation because this setting confused me when I first found it until I looked at the control surfaces externally. I certainly would not have a clue after reading the above posts.

crenny
02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
I understand what you guys are talking about with the "R" key, the problem is that by default the radiator open/close key and the armor/cowl flaps key are both bound to "R." I changed this and still have not flown an aircraft that would respond to the newly bound a/c flap key. I assumed earlier when you hit "R" to open the radiator what you were seeing outside the aircraft were vents opening to increase ventilation to help cool the engine. If these vents are made to protect the radiator when closed that would make sense.

Can we get a vintage aircraft expert to comment?

DuxCorvan
02-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Beetles have armour flaps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ianboys
02-18-2005, 09:45 AM
The radiator control in the IL-2 itself only affects the air intake on top of the nose. The oil cooler had no flaps/cover.

I know this because I posted the opposite a year ago and Oleg corrected me.

HamishUK
02-18-2005, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crenny:
I understand what you guys are talking about with the "R" key, the problem is that by default the radiator open/close key and the armor/cowl flaps key are both bound to "R." I changed this and still have not flown an aircraft that would respond to the newly bound a/c flap key. I assumed earlier when you hit "R" to open the radiator what you were seeing outside the aircraft were vents opening to increase ventilation to help cool the engine. If these vents are made to protect the radiator when closed that would make sense.

Can we get a vintage aircraft expert to comment? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the IL2 has armour plated flaps over the radiator.

TriggerHappy57
02-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Maybe its just me, but when I keep my radiator flaps open when im under AA fire I seem to get my engine banged up real good. When I close my radiators this happens alot less it seems.