PDA

View Full Version : Which planes have landing lights?

Superjew1
08-17-2009, 01:09 AM
I put together some missions where its night out and I have to do a carrier landing, but I cant see a damn thing in either the F4U Corsair or F6F Hellcat when I turn on my landing lights, it makes no difference.

Any idea on which planes have landing lights?

Im surprised that a Hellcat was a night fighter late war and didnt have landing lights.

mortoma
08-17-2009, 02:34 AM
A few planes have them but even those that show them when you turn them on don't actually cast their light on runways and such. The P-39 has one that shows up when you look at the plane in external view but I have never seen it shine on the runway at night. Maybe we'll see this in SOW finally? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

mortoma
08-17-2009, 02:42 AM
I take that back a little. I just tried the P-39 in a night mission I made really quickly in FMB and it does shine on the runway but it's of limited usefullness in actually landing. Makes a small spot, not very bright and it shows very low in the windscreen even below the gunsight. Tried another landing without it and it was no harder to land. They seem to be more for external view appeal than anything. As far as all the planes that have them, I'm not sure but it's very limited. Not a lot of planes have them and the Hellcat doesn't have one.

Hardball's aircraft viewer shows a lot of extras that planes have like whether planes have feathering props, fire extinguishers, sliding canopies and even if the plane has rear view mirrors but not whether a plane has landing lights. IIRC, the P-47 also has a landing light. Not sure about the rest.