PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have This Problem? (Game Minimizes)

gamer025
11-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I'll be flying along or something and the game minimizes for no apparent reason. Worse of all when I try to open it again the game crashes. I remember solving this problem at some point but I can't remember how. I almost think it's the screensaver trying to initialize.

I'm running the game under DX mode instead of OpenGL mode. Full-screen, 1024x768 res.

ytareh
11-14-2009, 09:23 AM
No never have that, but you really MUST run the game in Open GL mode-thats what it was designed under -also you should be able to disable the screensaver...

Choctaw111
11-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Check to see what other programs are running in the background.
I am sure that one of these is causing your problem. Close down ALL programs that are not essential to Il2 or your PC.

gizmo60
11-14-2009, 10:08 AM
If you have AVG and updated recently it could be this...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...9310655/m/7051061308 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7051061308)

Cheers

Statler86
11-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:
No never have that, but you really MUST run the game in Open GL mode-thats what it was designed under

No you don't. My old pc runs BETTER in DX mode although i hear for most this isn't the case. Just wanted to clear this incorrect point up.

F19_Orheim
11-15-2009, 01:57 AM
yes, avg 9 seems to mess things up

doraemil
11-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Yes IL-2 is supposed to run under open gl . . . and Oleg designed that way . . .

Most of the posts regarding video or crash issues, one of basic fixes is set to Gl . . .

But I wouldn't be surprised if certain machines IL-2 plays well with DX

My ATI / PC crashes IL-2 if its set to DX . . . only works with GL.

Like gizmo said, it could be your virus scanner, turn it off while playing or at the minimum disable scanning / and any form of online / email scanning.

Turn off hibernation, set power savings to a few hours (when mine was set to 45 mins, I'd be on IL-2 that long and for some reason XP will run power saving . . .)

Oh another thing is notifications like if you have msn / yahoo messenger or outlook etc . . . if they have pop up notifications (where it puts outlook in front when its updated) that could cause it too.

BillSwagger
11-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Normally the game shouldn't just minimize, it needs a command or another program to tell Windows to give it viewing priority and so the game minimizes. this can happen when your software updates, so you might need to turn off your automatic updates, and turn off any alerts.

ALSO:

Sometimes the mouse settings can effect this too. Its as though the computer thinks you are clicking on the desktop, when you are actually only using the cursor in game.

I would check your config.ini

under

[rts]

mouseuse = 2

this is how mine is set, and it makes it so the mouse only effects the cursor in game, and doesn't disturb the desktop while i play.

Tully__
11-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Also check that you (or something on your desk or in your joystick profile) is not accidentally bumping the Windows key.

gamer025
11-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give them a try and post my results. I know I'm not the only one with this issue and a friend of mine had the same issue when he plays NHL09.

gamer025
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I've noticed that I'll be doing something, like browsing the web, when my browser, though still open, is de-selected. Then I noticed this happening:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6932/avgwebbrowswer.jpg

Now when it happens during IL2 sessions it's not there, but I wouldn't be surprised if something is going on. I disabled my screen-saver and I'm still getting the issue so it must be AVG. I don't want to disable AVG completely and I'm not sure which part causes the problem. I'm using the latest AVG build.

skullcowboy_tx
11-19-2009, 07:36 AM
AVG's free version 8 (dunno about the pay version) started doing this about 2 weeks ago by minimizing whatever program I was in (including games) by displaying a pop-up telling me about the wonders of version 9.
I was so in awe that I dumped AVG altogether and sought a different digital condom for my PC.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, dump AVG, they've gone down the toilet recently. Get the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

gamer025
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I run winxp pro x64 so I don't know if MSE works on that. Also AVG is the only free anti-virus scanner I can get.

I've got spybot and AVG 9 free and that's it. I also have a router I could connect and then would be willing to drop avg but i can't find the adapter for it.

TheGrunch
11-22-2009, 09:42 PM
This has been getting on my **** all week! Goodbye AVG, you used to be cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by gamer025:
I run winxp pro x64 so I don't know if MSE works on that. Also AVG is the only free anti-virus scanner I can get.

I've got spybot and AVG 9 free and that's it. I also have a router I could connect and then would be willing to drop avg but i can't find the adapter for it.

Microsoft Security Essentials indeed does not run on XP 64bit. Hell, practically nothing does. Xp 64 was never meant to be a home consumer product.

I believe Avira will run on XP64 and is not bad AV. I really recommend that you upgrade to windows 7 x64.