PDA

View Full Version : IJN vs US Planes radial engine cooling...is this right?

Oilburner_TAW
11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
In either the F6 or the F4U (especially the F4U), the plane overheats easily and takes forever to cool off. In addition, the cowl flaps have no effect on how long it takes the engine to overheat or cool off. I flew the KI84ib (in friday night at the fights S!VC81) and I could fly around 110 full wep with the cowl flaps open forever. If I got into a serious turning match where airspeed was reduced for a long period, the engine would overheat. All I had to do was pull throttle to 105 for 3-4 seconds and that was it, I could go back to 110.

I realize flying around all the time at 110/full wep is not realistic, but is the disparity in cooling performance realistic ie: KI84 vs F4U?

Zyzbot
11-07-2005, 11:55 AM
People have posted about this issue before. As I recall, the consensus was that there is a problem with the cooling on F6F/F4U/P-47 as they all use similar engines.

chris455
11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
...................maybe when they find the fix for the cooling problem they'll finally fix the "one hit and there goes my engine" problem with the Pratt and Whitney R2800 as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

faustnik
11-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by chris455:
...................maybe when they find the fix for the cooling problem they'll finally fix the "one hit and there goes my engine" problem with the Pratt and Whitney R2800 as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Yeah, well there are people working on the fragile R2800 issue, be sure! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The overheat is not the same for the F4U and P-47. I am always fighting overheat in the Corsair but, have no issue with the Jug.

OMK_Hand
11-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Er....
I know it's a pain, but try finding a R/L manual for those planes:

E.g.
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/main.html
("More neat F4U stuff")

Just Google - there's lot's of good information out there.

Read and understand the limitations regarding operation of the engine, work within them, and voila - you won't overheat, and you'll be wizzing about NP.

It's true! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

'Full Power' does not mean 'Full Performance'.

Why do you BLAME the game?

One other thing: The F4U had THE biggest, baddest, F***-off engine there ever was at the time - Do you really think you can just run it into the ground and it will 'cool' quickly?

horseback
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
...all except for the fact that the radial BMW 801 of the FW 190A/F/G and the -was it a Homare?- radial of the Ki-84 were plagued with severe overheating problems compared to the R-2800, and these aren't modelled.

The original poster has a valid point: the R-2800 had a well-earned reputation for being able to take a lot of abuse and continue to perform sufficiently well to bring its aircraft and pilot home. The radials in the Ki 84 and to a lesser extent, the FW 190, had much lesser reputations in this regard.

If the guy in a P-47 has to fly carefully within the limits of the pilots' manual, why don't the guys in the Ki 84 or FW 190 have to meet the much more stringent demands of their engines?

cheers

horseback

OMK_Hand
11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Fair enough... Production problems as the war(s) progressed created reliability problems. The actual engine designs weren't prone to overheating were they?
Anyhow, why overheat in the first place if it causes problems in the game?

"I realize flying around all the time at 110/full wep is not realistic, but is the disparity in cooling performance realistic ie: KI84 vs F4U?"

Bottom line: Taking advantage of something apparently un-realistic, raises a question of realism?

Oilburner_TAW
11-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by OMK_Hand:
Fair enough... Production problems as the war(s) progressed created reliability problems. The actual engine designs weren't prone to overheating were they?
Anyhow, why overheat in the first place if it causes problems in the game?

"I realize flying around all the time at 110/full wep is not realistic, but is the disparity in cooling performance realistic ie: KI84 vs F4U?"

Bottom line: Taking advantage of something apparently un-realistic, raises a question of realism?

Exactly the point of my statement. If we can't have it realistic, at least make the relational durability/overheating correct (one plane in relation to another).

panther3485
11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
How hard would it be to make them all reasonably close to realistic in this regard?

Hope somebody's working on it.

Best regards to all,
panther3485

VW-IceFire
11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
At the moment I'd just like to settle for the cowl flaps having some sort of effect on the R-2800 aircraft.

Its to the point where I just leave them closed after seeing the tests posted. If it makes no difference then why loose the airspeed? If it does then I can sacrifice airspeed if it means I'll have a cooler engine when I need it.

FritzGryphon
11-07-2005, 07:37 PM
and I could fly around 110 full wep with the cowl flaps open forever.

This is obviously not true.

It might be prudent to do an objective test to make a real comparison.