PDA

View Full Version : Are all X52`s so poorly set up

SMURFY1967
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I can move the X52 stick roughly 1/3 of its travel before the ailerons move.Saitek say this isn`t a problem,it is if your being out turned by a jug at 500M in a 109K4.This was their response to the query about the deadzone which I sent them.

"A recall isn't called for, because the vast majority of sticks have no issues at all - the deadzone was intentional to ensure centering issues didn't occur; there was no fault with the firmware. As with any of our products, as we continue to manufacture them we will look at ways of improving them - hence all this business with the firmware that's going around the forums."

Best Regards
Richard Neville
Tech Support
Saitek UK

Basically people like me who bought them when they were released,were unpaid testers.Throttle is nice,stick is comfortable,deadzone is crippling!!!!!!!!!!.

SMURFY1967
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I can move the X52 stick roughly 1/3 of its travel before the ailerons move.Saitek say this isn`t a problem,it is if your being out turned by a jug at 500M in a 109K4.This was their response to the query about the deadzone which I sent them.

"A recall isn't called for, because the vast majority of sticks have no issues at all - the deadzone was intentional to ensure centering issues didn't occur; there was no fault with the firmware. As with any of our products, as we continue to manufacture them we will look at ways of improving them - hence all this business with the firmware that's going around the forums."

Best Regards
Richard Neville
Tech Support
Saitek UK

Basically people like me who bought them when they were released,were unpaid testers.Throttle is nice,stick is comfortable,deadzone is crippling!!!!!!!!!!.

BenvZijl
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I myself don't have any Deadzone issue's, but i do have the problem with the Nforce Mainboard.

so i'm off to buy a PCI, usb 2.0 card in the morning

chaikanut
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
** snickers** You should have bought CH.

Seriously, I had a Saitek evo and I tried an X45 in a store, they both felt like toys. I have a CH fighterstick now and it is worlds appart from anything else, even without the pedals. I suggest you send it back and get a CH with a little extra cash.

Lav69
03-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I have seen a lot X52 bashing lately. We must keep things relative here. The X52 can be had for $110 online. That includes shipping. The cheapest I have seen a CH fighterstick and throttle together is $215. 100 bucs difference. The dead zone so many are whinning about can be easily gotten rid of in the control panel under the dead zone tab. And also by adjusting your sensitivity settings in game. Which ever you prefer. I chaulk up all this whinning to ignorance. It is quite easy to get rid of the dead zone and make the X52 extremly sensitive. The X52 has a high level of adjustibilty to it. And rotors on the throttle, not at the base of the stick such as the CH sticks, is a must for easy trimming. The slider on the throttle is priceless. Sorry but for the money the X52 is an awesome product.

Lav69
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BenvZijl:
I myself don't have any Deadzone issue's, but i do have the problem with the Nforce Mainboard.

so i'm off to buy a PCI, usb 2.0 card in the morning <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhhh....I have an Nforce2 Ultra mainboard and have no problems. Whats the deal???

Anadin
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Lav69 Its not all X52's that are a problem its just certain serial No's. and below. Im on my third stick now an its still not quite right. You say you "Chalk up all this whinning to ignorance". Yes there is a deadzone but its not good when you push a stick Fwd it responds instantly and then pull back 1/2" to 3/4" to make it respond try "lining a shot up".

why cant you get a stick outta the box that works. I agree the X52 will be a good stick when its sorted but after spending 88 on the stick 2 returns back to saitek and numeriuos phone calls to the supplier at a premium rate phone number that Figher stick and throttle starts to look a good bet.

I have spoken to Tech Suport Richard an Mike have been extreemly helpfull. Follow the Deadzone (http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=6176) link and decide

LW_Icarus
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
wow , I must be a lucky guy, I got mine soon after release and notice no deadzone problems, everything works great.

I did get a two year replacement warranty when I bought it though, will surely return it and get the latest one in another year or so.

Chivas
03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
I have seen a lot X52 bashing lately. We must keep things relative here. The X52 can be had for $110 online. That includes shipping. The cheapest I have seen a CH fighterstick and throttle together is $215. 100 bucs difference. The dead zone so many are whinning about can be easily gotten rid of in the control panel under the dead zone tab. And also by adjusting your sensitivity settings in game. Which ever you prefer. I chaulk up all this whinning to ignorance. It is quite easy to get rid of the dead zone and make the X52 extremly sensitive. The X52 has a high level of adjustibilty to it. And rotors on the throttle, not at the base of the stick such as the CH sticks, is a must for easy trimming. The slider on the throttle is priceless. Sorry but for the money the X52 is an awesome product. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid you are showing your ignorance Lav69.

There a quite a few X52 owners with deadzone problems. You can zero adjust the deadzone sliders in the saitek software and the deadzone will still be there. And as far as removing it in the game input adjustments, don't make me laugh, the game can't adjust an input it doesn't see. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

There is also a problem with the axis sensors not being centered, which gives you a larger deadzone on one side of the axis than the other. This can easily be centered by opening the stick and making a slight adjustment whilst voiding your warranty.

Send the stick back but there is no guarantee you will get a good one. I would avoid the X52 until they fix this issue.

The programming software is very good with just a few bugs.

Korolov
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Got my new X52 last week. Initially it seemed to have a large dead zone, but by adjusting the control curves it was pretty easy to get used to. I'm pretty happy with the stick now - and it didn't break the bank either.

marcocomparato
03-08-2005, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chivas:

I'm afraid you are showing your ignorance Lav69.

There a quite a few X52 owners with deadzone problems. You can zero adjust the deadzone sliders in the saitek software and the deadzone will still be there. And as far as removing it in the game input adjustments, don't make me laugh, the game can't adjust an input it doesn't see. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

There is also a problem with the axis sensors not being centered, which gives you a larger deadzone on one side of the axis than the other. This can easily be centered by opening the stick and making a slight adjustment whilst voiding your warranty.

Send the stick back but there is no guarantee you will get a good one. I would avoid the X52 until they fix this issue.

The programming software is very good with just a few bugs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im afraid the ignorance is rather the X52 owners that didnt think to reconfigure their IL2 settings for an entirely new stick built on an entirely different and new pot/deflection-sensor technology.

simply go back to your IL2 settings (oh u didnt notice that this problem also exists in NO OTHER GAMES but IL2? oh ok well anyway...) and max them, then pull them down from their 100 settings in a graceful arc as you test until you have the response that you desire. believe me, at full 100s the stick is far too responsive with no deadzone.

my settings look like this:
80 80 81 82 84 87 90 93 97 100

try those for you pitch and yaw and you will have happy feelings. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chivas
03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
All your doing is making the game input react faster AFTER the stick passes thru the deadzone. The game CAN'T recognise stick input that isn't there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

In the Saitek axis test...if you zero all your sliders and can move your stick without seeing movement from the center + ...you have a deadzone....no amount of ingame adjustments can fix that. Some people have a deadzone..others don't. Just because your stick doesn't have a deadzone...it doesn't mean that others don't.

If Oleg's input software can guess when I'm going to move my stick...I wanna buy some stock in that. hmmmm the AI aircraft seem to know when I'm going to pull the trigger...maybe he has http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

BenvZijl
03-09-2005, 01:46 AM
my first choich was to buy CH but hey i live in the Netherlands and there is only 1 shop that sells it and believe me it's expensive over here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (too expensive for a history student)

Anadin
03-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Spot on Chivas. Marcocomparato, as Chivas says

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There is also a problem with the axis sensors not being centered, which gives you a larger deadzone on one side of the axis than the other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Adjust that out using the stick settings. By adjusting the dead zones all you are doing is making the stick respond faster in a shorter throw. Not right, but helps.

1.JaVA_Hornet
03-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Ben v Zijl,
Heb je al op www.luchtvaarthobbyshop.nl (http://www.luchtvaarthobbyshop.nl) gekeken?
Die hebben `m!!

Doe anders een google search en dan nederlandse
sites selekteren.

Succes!

Kannaksen_hanu
03-09-2005, 05:17 AM
This IS a firmware issue; older ones have idiotic hardcoded deadzone(!) + software deadzone. Mysticpuma had a thread on this at SimHQ. Newer ones have only software deadzone.

During those days Richard Neville was speaking very much differently... According to initial post he seemed to turn his coat completely and started to lie. At those days he advised to return the stick.

Disgusting.

Blue-Lexus
03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Due to a faulty throttle pot on my X45 I decided to upgrade to an X52.
On installation I found that the Joystick had a centre dead zone, which was not as bad as others have reported so I decided to live with it.
I have for the last 2 weeks tried every adjustment possible in an effort to resolve the problems I was encountering. Even though the stick did not feel too bad I was finding that I was having trouble controlling blackouts, landings and take offs. I could not get into position to get a good shot at anyone I managed to bounce.
Anyway after suddenly loosing control during a normal landing and killing my pilot yet again, I decided enough was enough and went back to using my old X45 stick with the X52 throttle.
My God what a difference. In the first hour on-line I had 5 kills. I can now turn without fear of blackout and feel back in control with added confidence. It just shows you what a difference having the right equipment can make.

I am now saving up for a CH Stick which I have been told is a quality product which will last.

Having paid good money for what was advertised as a quality product I feel ripped off, especially as my X45 throttle only lasted 10 months.

BenvZijl
03-09-2005, 06:03 AM
well people, i'm returning My X52 to the store today cause i have the Nforce 3 Bug for wich teh solution didn't work for me..... sniff sniff

so it's back to my old(almost dead) Wingman Force until i get a new one stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

georgeo76
03-09-2005, 06:08 AM
X52s are very polar, you love'em or hate'em. I love mine, but don't notice the massive deadzone that is often reported here and @ the Saitek site (there is some, but not 1/3 the travel). I would suggest that each new X52 owner spend some time w/ the stick, as it's very different from anything else your used to, and will render you n00b for the first week or two you use it. Also take care to adjust in-game as well as hardware settings for full effect. I'm sure most of the dead zone ppl are reporting is instead the slight movement around the center, due to the massive throw.

GUARD4000
03-09-2005, 06:30 AM
I am using X52,have found no problem.In fact I love it.Real accurate and smooth.

BenvZijl
03-09-2005, 06:39 AM
then you don't have a Mainboard with a NFORCE 3 Chipset http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

no not again
03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi I have returned my x52 as the deadzone exceeded Saiteks max size deadzone (12mm DIA). Tweaking the PF settings DID help but as this FAULT has been fixed with new firmware on later models I feel that Saitek should at least offer the fix to those that need it. Not all sticks are affected with the deadzone but a LOT of people are having to tweak and live with a build/design error http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gifBye now DaveK

BaldieJr
03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I had one but I returned it after it killed my dog, at my dinner, and knocked up my wife.

My truck broke down on the way to the computer store, but I walked uphill in the snow and returned that piece of garbage anyways.

Chivas
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
I had one but I returned it after it killed my dog, at my dinner, and knocked up my wife.

My truck broke down on the way to the computer store, but I walked uphill in the snow and returned that piece of garbage anyways. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've locked mine in a dark corner of the basement, until I get my hacksaw sharpened for further modifications. The stick had some good points but I'm going to cut them off.

gates123
03-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Does the x-52 come with the throttle Hotas or can you just get the joystick seperate?

Chivas
03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
The stick comes with a throttle and an easy to use software controls program. It could be a very good setup if Saitek did some modifications.

rijnton1944
04-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Last week I bought a X52 and noticed that it had indeed a rather large deadzone. I could move the stick for about 2cm in each direction before there was response in the Control Panel. Then I found the threads about this subject in the Saitek forum, where there is also mentioning of the serial numbers. I found out that mine was of the "old" series. Fortunately I could bring my stick back and got a refund. Then I made some calls to other shops (difficult, because Saitek is not widely available in Holland) and found one that had them in stock and was willing to take a look at the serial number. It turned out to be of the new series. I bought it and it has absolutely no deadzone. The slightest movement of the stick gives already a response. Now it's a wonderfull stick to work with. Very light moving, hardly any resistance, although I had to get accustomed to it after using the X45.
So if you want to buy a X52, take a look at the serial number first. Unfortunately this is only possible by unpacking the stick.

Wilburnator
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I bought an X52 when they came out. Seemed ok at first, then I started noticing peculiarities in game. I was having increasing difficulty getting hits. I fooled with the settings a bit, checked the cursor movement on the test page, and sure enough, it had developed a large deadzone, all on the left side. I tend to agree with Chivas, how can any amount of in game setting solve this problem? There is a substantial range of the stick's movement (mine at least) in the roll axis where there is NO input, the game can't adjust input that isn't there. I went back to my old X36 until my CH stick arrived, which I love.

I do use the X52 throttle though. That has a few quirks to, but I can deal with them.

GUARD4000
04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
It seems that I am VERY lucky because my X52 has no problem even I am using a NF3 MOBO.

BelaLvgosi
04-04-2005, 05:04 PM
On a side note, the nf3 problem I had with my x45 was that it wasn't detected on boot up half of the times, requiring me to replug it every time to be detected. Bought a D-Link 5 port usb 2.0 pci card based on a NEC chip and got rid of that annoyance.

Now, what is the problem that you nf3+x52 are facing?

rijnton1944
04-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Btw I too have a mobo with nforce 3 chip (MSI K8NNeo) and until now I have no problems. Already before knowing the possible solution
-in case of problems -of connecting it to an usb pci card I had done so, because I hadn't any usb ports left over. So maybe that's why it works for me too.
Having read about the problems I emailed Saitek, asking them if I had to worry. This is what they replied:
"Hi,

Whilst the vast majority of those few people who have had this problem do have an nForce chipset, having one is no guarantee that you will experience the issue. It does seem to be caused by a combination of factors that can be exacerbated by having an nForce chipset, including the fact that the implementation of a particular chipset can vary wildly in its quality from motherboard to motherboard.

Certainly if you haven't experienced the problem yet then you're unlikely to - most people see it straight away if it's going to happen to them."

MAX_GrimReaper
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
If all possible can someone send me the proflie they are using for the X52 stick. I can not get my throttle to respond in il2. It will work for CFS and i have tried everything. thanks MAX_GrimReaper

WOLFMondo
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
Got my new X52 last week. Initially it seemed to have a large dead zone, but by adjusting the control curves it was pretty easy to get used to. I'm pretty happy with the stick now - and it didn't break the bank either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats your stick settings in the conf.ini?

Stanger_361st
04-05-2005, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAX_GrimReaper:
If all possible can someone send me the proflie they are using for the X52 stick. I can not get my throttle to respond in il2. It will work for CFS and i have tried everything. thanks MAX_GrimReaper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the game of IL2 got to hardware setup for joysticks. At the bottom click on throttle at the right and then move your throttle. If the throttle is backwards on the speed, then redo moving the throttle the other way in the setup up game.
Stanger