PDA

View Full Version : The nature of the demo's ending

pillaysteven
05-18-2006, 05:39 AM
After seeing CrackerMonkey's great sum-up of the nature of the hidden-blade I thought I'd start a discussion on the demo's ending to try to lessen the amount of threads created on the topic. Obviously it's something that everyone who is interested in the game is talking and thinking about.

The Ubi people said "this game does not involve time travel whatsoever". So that means that either the future is real and the 12th century is fake or vice-versa. If it doesn't involve time travel then both cannot be real as you are Altair in both places.

In my opinion from this small bit of info the one that makes most sense is that the future is real and the 12th century setting is a simulator of some sort. Other things that back this up are the other previews which say: "The image of a beautiful, modern-day woman appears surrounded by writing of some description." and "you wake up in some sort of futuristic laboratory type setting".

A similar thing is the first couple of seconds of the first teaser released shows a present time corridor seemingly in a hospital of some sort. So the mental patient idea definitely has this to back it up:

http://www.pillaysteven.utvinternet.com/Files/AC_future_1.JPG

Another interesting bit of info is in the worthplaying preview posted by WITCHER2013.

The preview calls the machine that comes up when Altair dies "Animus"... I looked it up on Wikipedia and here's what I got:

Animus is considered to be that natural and primitive part of the mind's activity and processes remaining after dispensing with persona, which is the "mask" displayed in interactions with others and which has been shaped by socialization.

It seems very interesting. So your animus is the true you, or what you would have become if there wasn't any cultural context whatsoever. Does that mean that the machine strips all the "masks" away and presents you with the true you? So, if that is true and it is also true that the 12th century setting is simulated does it show you the person you truly are and what you would actually become if you were really true to yourself.

This seems the best explanation to me but please everyone pick holes in anything I say and discuss the topic. I really want to figure this thing out as much as is possible with the information given. Also please try your very best not to stray too much off topic.

DarkPrince_745
05-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Interesting theory you got there, but I think this is simply a game about an assassin who wants to stop the hostilities by both sides of the third crusade conflict.
As for the "Animus" thing, I really can't explain the fact that it's meaning is "natural and primitive part of the mind's activity and processes remaining after dispensing with persona, which is the 'mask' displayed in interactions with others and which has been shaped by socialization", but come on - do you really expect the hero of this epic action game to be a mental patient?

SpyderNynja
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM
I think that's a freakin' cool theory! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I also looked stuff up on wiki about the blade and got a good description about how the ring finger is considered a magical finger in ancient beliefs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Now i feel like I'm finding out too much about the game and I wanna stop reading previews and watching interwiews but i CAN'T! i'm doing the same thing I did with the pop series! finding it out before i even get it! AH!

oh well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pillaysteven
05-18-2006, 07:36 AM
do you really expect the hero of this epic action game to be a mental patient?

I didn't say that I just said that people who came up with that idea had that to back it up. My opinion is the futuristic simulator one. I think there is too much to the futuristic setting... you can't just ignore it although I would really like to.

Although really the true explanation for these things is probably much simpler than we are making it.

marceblackguard
05-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Allow me to quote what Game Informer says on the subject:

"While the great wealth of gameplay and inovation remains focuses entirely around Altair and his journey to halt the third crusade, that entire story is will be framed by a character far into the future who will be looking back on his ancestor's exploits and experiencing them through Altair's eyes. In fact, this strange process of genetic memory will play out in an important way within gameplay. As the player moves through the world of the game, new situation and places are a mystery. Confidence in the memory will be low, and thus Altair's ability to survive injuries and death will be lower. As understanding dawns through exploration, discovery and the unfolding of the conspiracy, confidence in the memory will frow, and so will the plausibility of him surviving the challenges he faces. This exciting approach to health management is just one aspect of how the game will craft this strange connection between the distant past and the future."

That's pretty much all they say on that matter.

Illidan23
05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by marceblackguard:

"While the great wealth of gameplay and inovation remains focuses entirely around Altair and his journey to halt the third crusade, that entire story is will be framed by a character far into the future who will be looking back on his ancestor's exploits and experiencing them through Altair's eyes. In fact, this strange process of genetic memory will play out in an important way within gameplay. As the player moves through the world of the game, new situation and places are a mystery. Confidence in the memory will be low, and thus Altair's ability to survive injuries and death will be lower. As understanding dawns through exploration, discovery and the unfolding of the conspiracy, confidence in the memory will frow, and so will the plausibility of him surviving the challenges he faces. This exciting approach to health management is just one aspect of how the game will craft this strange connection between the distant past and the future."

If this is true then the story elements are similar to Eternal Darkness by Silicon Knights on GameCube.

For those who don't know in Eternal Darkness the main character in present time reads a book that contains stories of heroes from the past time. Each story and hero are set in different time period. As the main character read the stories you play as the heroes. If i not mistaken you read 13 stories and play in 13 different time period with 13 different heroes. Also anything the heroes found or created in the past will appear in the future.

HorTyS
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM

this also helps explain what the "confidence" meter was about. i read in some previews that talked about the confidence meter effecting your effectivness on different actions from fighting to the escaping aspects.

Vey03
05-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Wow, this is really interesting stuff.

Steven - that's excellent thinking about the Animus http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

And he doesn't have to be a mental patient. He can be an ordinary citizen who participates in a scientific trial to test out a new 'machine', just like they do trials of new medicines.

DarkPrince_745
05-19-2006, 07:31 AM
As Steven already said: "the true explanation for these things is probably much simpler than we are making it" - but that's just my opinion, so by all means keep posting new theorys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kew414
05-19-2006, 07:48 PM

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Thank goodness! That doesn't sound bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I was worried how they were gonna mix future and past together without ruining the storyline http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Poodle_of_Doom
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
This is an interesting take on the whole idea.... I'm surprised the topic died...

GunnarGunderson
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Poodle_of_Doom:
This is an interesting take on the whole idea.... I'm surprised the topic died...
it died because it's 5 years old

Mr_Shade
03-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Indeed...

Please do not bump VERY old threads... and please take a moment to read the rules.