PDA

View Full Version : SBD Canopy opening by itself on 3.02bm?

panthercules
11-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Anybody noticed any problems/instances of the SBD's canopy opeing by itself, either before or after the new patch? I had only flown this plane a couple of times before, and never noticed this happening, so I don't know if it's a 3.02bm thing or not.

Anyway - I was flying a QMB on Coral Sea map with an SBD (earliest variant) with 3x500kg bombs. I completed my bomb run on the japanese carrier [3 hits square on the flight deck at the stern - her pilots will have to find another home http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ] - anyway, my canopy had been closed when I started at 3000m, but as I was jinking away from the flak near sea level I noticed that my canopy was open.

I tried to close it, then realized that I had jumped into this test straight from my Stuka tests and I was still flying with my German pilot, for whom I had not bothered to map the open canopy key or any of the other new PF things like arrestor hooks and stuff - I escaped out to the menu, mapped the keys and came back in and closed the canopy.

Thus the question - since I didn't even have a key mapped to open the canopy (so I couldn't have hit it by mistake), how/why did the canopy open by itself? Anybody else seen this behavior with the SBD?

BTW - I managed to land on my carrier and taxi out of the way just in time to see one of my AI buddies land right behind me - THANKS OLEG - THIS IS SOOOOO COOOOOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

panthercules
11-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Anybody noticed any problems/instances of the SBD's canopy opeing by itself, either before or after the new patch? I had only flown this plane a couple of times before, and never noticed this happening, so I don't know if it's a 3.02bm thing or not.

Anyway - I was flying a QMB on Coral Sea map with an SBD (earliest variant) with 3x500kg bombs. I completed my bomb run on the japanese carrier [3 hits square on the flight deck at the stern - her pilots will have to find another home http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ] - anyway, my canopy had been closed when I started at 3000m, but as I was jinking away from the flak near sea level I noticed that my canopy was open.

I tried to close it, then realized that I had jumped into this test straight from my Stuka tests and I was still flying with my German pilot, for whom I had not bothered to map the open canopy key or any of the other new PF things like arrestor hooks and stuff - I escaped out to the menu, mapped the keys and came back in and closed the canopy.

Thus the question - since I didn't even have a key mapped to open the canopy (so I couldn't have hit it by mistake), how/why did the canopy open by itself? Anybody else seen this behavior with the SBD?

BTW - I managed to land on my carrier and taxi out of the way just in time to see one of my AI buddies land right behind me - THANKS OLEG - THIS IS SOOOOO COOOOOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
11-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I found one of my controls was a bit wonky...if I pressed the Ctrl button the gun dimmer would appear. I checked the Gunsight Dimmer in the controls list and it still said Cntrl-D (like it normally does) so I re-bound it and it worked fine.

You may need to do that...

Tater-SW-
11-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Everyone should post a bug report that the SBD can even carry 3x500lb bombs. It could not. 1000 or 1600 (and I think the 1600 was only on the -5 and later) on centerline, and no more than 325 on wings (and I'm dubious about that number for the -3). Given US bomb types, you might see 250s under the wings, but 4500s weren't even an option.

In actual service, I've never read of a SBD having anything but 100lb bombs on the wings, a loadout we don't even have.

The current loadout is really unfair to any battles between USN and IJN since the SBD only carried one useful anti-shipping bomb. The 100s were so useless they later stopped carrying them most times.

tater

Aaron_GT
11-28-2004, 03:45 AM
I've had the same thing happen in an F4U. I just assumed that either I'd hit a key or there was some new feature leading to the pilot popping the canopy open when the plane was damaged, perhaps (I was showing a friend skip bombing and was a bit close to the target when the bombs went off and took some damage, although not critical damage).