PDA

View Full Version : Sound Mods

doogerie
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I know a few of the aircraft in IL2 sound a littel off notably the spt's and the meshersmits so i was wondering is there a mod to fix this or not
thanks

doogerie
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I know a few of the aircraft in IL2 sound a littel off notably the spt's and the meshersmits so i was wondering is there a mod to fix this or not
thanks

DKoor
04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Sound mod is prettier, however IL2 stock sound is more precisehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

TX-EcoDragon
04-10-2009, 04:12 PM
So far most of the sound mods I've tried are less realistic than the stock sounds.

I've already posted my observations on the sound mods in other threads here so I shouldn't rehash that, but I have since found a sound mod that seems a bit better than what most people seem to be using.

The "UltraPack" that incorporates some of the Jafa sounds, and some others from who knows where seems like the best sound mod as far as package deals go. . .it adds a little of that "pretty" element DKoor mentioned (which most pilots never actually hear when inside the plane) while still preserving many of the critical things a pilot should hear in cockpit, which the stock sounds do a bit of.

Also, the experience a user has with any of these mods seems highly dependent on which planes they fly, and against which adversaries.

Just for laughs load up a Yak VK107 and fly against a D11. . .you will hear every throttle change the D11 makes from a grid away over your own engine, and there is next to no slipstream noise or prop tip roar in cockpit in anything if you use the more common sound mods. I can't even fly the P-40 with them since they communicate none of the slipstream and buffeting sounds that you need to fly the aircraft to the limit without going beyond it.
A real aircraft cockpit is more wind noise, engine roar and prop tip roar than it is lovely Merlin music that the spectators at an airshow are used to.

Perhaps FFB users don't need to pay attention to these things, but I sure do, and from a realism perspective these things need to be redone. IL-2 was one of the first sims I've flown that actually does a decent job of modelling what it's like to put some G on the airplane, or to approach the critical angle of attack.

na85
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I find that a lot of the new sounds are actually pretty bad.

The Tempest, for instance, sounds horrible, and the samples for the 109 engine have REALLY obvious loops.