PDA

View Full Version : What's the max detection range for my Hydrophones

sorrowman
01-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I've been playing a lot SH3 lately, and have done quite a few patrol up 'till now.

Probably like most of u guys I get sound contact reports from my hydrophone guy every so often (reporting a war-ship or a merchant passing by at a certain bearing and speed). However, yesterday it struck me that I don't exactly know what the maximum detection range of my hydrophones is (I recently installed a Balkon-Gerat on my boat, just so you know) I was wondering about this because knowing the max detection range helps to get a somewhat rough idea of the location of the involved ship relative to ur own boat and thus help to make a decision on wether it's worth to check it out and maybe take a shot at it or not.

So does anyone know what the max range is for my balkon-gerat to detect ships moving about? Sofar I've learned to thrust my hydrophones rather then my look-out or my radar, but that's pretty obvious I guess. Also, is the max range affected by certain things ( such as weather, high waves, storms and what not)

paulhager
01-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by sorrowman:
I've been playing a lot SH3 lately, and have done quite a few patrol up 'till now.

Probably like most of u guys I get sound contact reports from my hydrophone guy every so often (reporting a war-ship or a merchant passing by at a certain bearing and speed). However, yesterday it struck me that I don't exactly know what the maximum detection range of my hydrophones is (I recently installed a Balkon-Gerat on my boat, just so you know) I was wondering about this because knowing the max detection range helps to get a somewhat rough idea of the location of the involved ship relative to ur own boat and thus help to make a decision on wether it's worth to check it out and maybe take a shot at it or not.

So does anyone know what the max range is for my balkon-gerat to detect ships moving about? Sofar I've learned to thrust my hydrophones rather then my look-out or my radar, but that's pretty obvious I guess. Also, is the max range affected by certain things ( such as weather, high waves, storms and what not)

Roughly between 15-20 km. I found that I got better range when I was doing sound checks at 100 meters in a Type XXI. That may have been the result of better equipment though.

You can do even better with your "bare" ears. That probably adds another 5-10 km.

Jose.MaC
01-17-2006, 08:35 AM
your hidrophones will take adventage of having the ship at full stop. Looks like it works better if you are at a depth of 20 meters or more.

paulhager
01-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Jose.MaC:
your hidrophones will take adventage of having the ship at full stop. Looks like it works better if you are at a depth of 20 meters or more.

Agreed. I routinely dive to 25 meters for hydrophone checks.

lecek
01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
With the engines at stop, and the hydrophone volume turned up, you can hear most ships at 35 KM range if you are doing things manually.

Your own guy on his own has as stated by the others above.

CRSutton
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I think sea condition will affect readings as well.

sorrowman
01-18-2006, 04:39 AM
I already figured out that doing a soundcheck manually with the enigines off (so going to hydrophone station yourself and doing a manual check with the sound volume up) works better.

Eithr way, thx for ur thoughts on this matter, though the ranges differ quite a bit from person to person

paulhager
01-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by sorrowman:
I already figured out that doing a soundcheck manually with the enigines off (so going to hydrophone station yourself and doing a manual check with the sound volume up) works better.

Eithr way, thx for ur thoughts on this matter, though the ranges differ quite a bit from person to person

Actually, I'd accept "lecek"'s value of 35 km as an upper limit and my 20-25 as a lower. It's hard to come up with a firm number unless one keeps track of time and location where the "manual" detection was made, figure the course and speed of the contact, and then backtrack from the point where accurate measure is possible. In any case, figure the average as around 30.

Convergence zone distance is a little over 30 nautical miles (multiply by roughly 1.85 for kilometers) but I don't know if the game models that behavior.

I can say from personal experience that I've turned the volume up on my speakers and picked up faint ship sounds at very long range. What I can't say definitively is what "very" means.

Jose.MaC
01-18-2006, 06:53 AM
If you want to know for sure, is time to made a specific mission to check it! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anyway, I would put money in the distances stated up there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

lecek
01-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I came up with my value of 35KM thusly:

Sometimes when I play SH3 I use a game exploit based on my processor speed. At 1024x TC the game noticably stutters when a ship enters range.

I have a Athlon 2400+ processor running at 2GHz. I expect that this is not so noticable with 3 gig CPU's but I haven't tried.

I go to periscope depth. I used to turn up my speaker volume but the hydrophone has its own that works a little better. Then I manually scan the water.

Currently when I find a target I just head off that way, but I used to take advantage of another game exploit where you can lock your scopes on the target from great ranges.

When on the surface I can ask my Watch Officer the range and he will tell me. I don't do this anymore, but I used to do it all the time.

I have seen ranges as great as 32 900 meters. The point is that when using 1024 TC as a detection method, several minutes must pass between when you range him and when he enters range. So I made an educated rounding up to 35 KM.

paulhager
01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by lecek:
I came up with my value of 35KM thusly:

Sometimes when I play SH3 I use a game exploit based on my processor speed. At 1024x TC the game noticably stutters when a ship enters range.

I have a Athlon 2400+ processor running at 2GHz. I expect that this is not so noticable with 3 gig CPU's but I haven't tried.

I run at 3 Gigahertz and get the same behavior. Other people have obvserved the same thing with fast machines. I've commented before that I think it's an indication of a lousy sighting algorithm.