PDA

View Full Version : IL2 1946 Dedicated Server

Joe_Sluggo
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi,

First post. We're in the middle of trying to make this dedicated server work. So far. Our provider gave up on trying. We're the only customer interested in IL2 Sturmovik, so he said we're on our own. He made us a folder on one of his servers and we have the FTP info.

What I've done so far is, I uninstalled and reinstalled the dvd. So I had 4.07m on my machine, then added the 4.08m dedicated server patch. What I got is a IL2 Folder and a IL2 FB Dedicated Server folder. I am uploading both folders and all their contents to the remote server.

Is this the right procedure or should there have been just one folder and the Dedicated Server folder merged into the IL2 Sturmovik Folder. Should I have patched the game up to 4.08 before installing the 4.08m dedicated server patch?

Thanks in advance. We look forward to getting our group in the air, but it's not looking good right now.

Can someone post a name of a server provider that does the IL2 Sturmovik game?

Thanks in advance.

JS

Diablo310th
02-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Sluggo...do a search on here for IL2 4.08 dedicated server. There is a very good guide somewhere for setting up and making the server work.

yanickg
02-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm also trying to figure it out. I found this thread (hope this is what Diablo310th is talking about)...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=692106434

Joe_Sluggo
02-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Thank you for the reply. I've read it and printed it. What he's discussing looks to me like making a dedicated server on a home PC. I've rented some space on a commercial server at a remote location. I'm just trying to confirm that I'm doing these right.

If anyone could take a picture of what files and folders inside their dedicated looks like, it would be greatly appreciated.

Joe_Sluggo
02-29-2008, 08:30 AM
According to Crazy Ivan's Guide, it sounds like their should be two folders. When I read the ream.txt on the 4.08m dedicated server install it said it could only be installed over a 4.07m version.

So, I deleted my game folder and reinstalled the dvd (4.07m). I did not patch the game up to 4.08, I installed the dedicated server patch instead. But, it created two different folders. I removed a lot of the map files, and uploaded both folders. That's where I'm at now. I know I have to config the config and command lines yet. But was wondering if anyone had much success in launching this game off of a dedicated remote box versus running a dedicated off of an extra PC.

yanickg
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
This might help. I found a fully patched 4.08m Stand alone server here:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2417

Joe_Sluggo
02-29-2008, 08:58 AM
That looks like something that will help. Whatever file that was that I downloaded from 3D Gamers, didn't include a server.cmd file in the dedicated folder and all the dates said 2005.

This may take me awhile.

Joe_Sluggo
02-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Thank you sir! Downloading now.

We plan on being VFA-99 Stormbringers. Flying Hellcats and Dauntless's off our virtual carrier the USS Dawnville. The plan is to have a rotating dogfighting map going and then get everyone together for our Wednesday Night Flight, where the squadron runs a big co-op mission.

Joe_Sluggo
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
My game server provider is asking for a command line or a command line URL that start the game. I can't seem to find one. Is there one?

I had real bad luck looking for a provider to host this game. Are you all using dedicated commercial servers or launching dedicated servers off your own PCs?

Thanks!

STENKA_69.GIAP
03-04-2008, 05:24 AM
We place our squad server in a commercial datacentre in Switzerland. It's expensive - about 140 Swiss/f per month but that gives us a 100mbit line with a guaranteed minimum 10 Mbit up bandwidth.

After that we access the server via the equivalent of a VPN which means that a player will connect to the server, configure software, and launch the missions as if it was his own PC.

If you have to rely on your service provider administrator to set up and run your software I would suspect that you are heading for grief.

Actualy I can't be bothered to use the dedicated server. I set up our server with 640x400 graphics set to very poor and run 1946 interactively. I need this anyway to be able to run co-ops. The only thing this realy limits is that when running in dogfight mode you max at 32 players and it doesn't run scripted. When someone wants a different map/scenario - they connect to server and change it as often as they want.

For us the number one priority for a squad server is to be able to run 16x16 co-ops against other squads with big maps and plenty of ground objects - this is what you need cpu power and a large up bandwidth for. After that running a dogfight server for training in with up to 32 pilots is quite adequate - do you have more than 32 pilots actualy flying at the same time?

Joe_Sluggo
03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Well it's working!!!

We got a commercially hosted dedicated remote server up and running. Start, Stop, restart, all off the panel. We're still working on config changes and map rotations.

But, we have a remote dedicated working from a US company supporting IL2, they've been great working with.

www.clanwarz.com (http://www.clanwarz.com)

dbillo
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:
...Actualy I can't be bothered to use the dedicated server. I set up our server with 640x400 graphics set to very poor and run 1946 interactively...The only thing this realy limits is that when running in dogfight mode you max at 32 players and it doesn't run scripted... Stenka, it's possible to script the integrated (game) server in dogfight mode. I've done it successfully using FBDaemon. There are a couple of minor GUI quirks that only affect a player at the host machine, but if you don't have a player there, then it works just fine.

Joe_Sluggo
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Well, we've found a provider that supports IL21946.

We've got a dedicated, remote server up and running, using the admin tools.

www.clanwarz.com (http://www.clanwarz.com) is the provider and it is very cool to just be able to log right in a fly 24/7.