PDA

View Full Version : keyboard online?

spartikas
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Played on Hyperlobby today for the first time. I have only keyboard & mouse, didn't seem to stand a chance of getting a kill. Pretty much just trying to survive as long as possible but still loads of fun. Running XP, any advice on what to do? Sticks?

na85
08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
IL2 without a joystick is not a fun idea.

Go out to the store and try out the joysticks, and buy the one that feels most comfortable.

Make sure it has a hat switch and a twisty axis, and ideally a couple of rotary/slider controls for throttle, etc.

spartikas
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Circuit City, Toys R Us, Gamespot? Thanks again.

na85
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm from Canada so I don't know which stores you do or do not have in the US but I got my Logitech Extreme 3D pro from Futureshop. They carry them at BestBuy too.

Not sure about Circuit City or Gamespot, as we don't have those up here. I would probably stay away from Toys R Us though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have heard good things about the Saitek AV8R series. Haven't used the AV8r so can't comment on it specifically, although my personal experience with Saitek's X52 (their HOTAS) was that it was cheap, flimsy and the twisty rudder is barely functional.

It's widely acknowledged that CH products makes top-quality gear (I have their rudder pedals and love them) but unfortunately CH stuff is quite expensive.

Stiletto-
08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Circuit City? I didn't think any of those were still open.. Go to a store that has a big computer section, Toys R Us and Gamespot are not these stores, I'd check out Best Buy if the Circuit City near you has closed. Go feel out the sticks, they are available to monkey with on a shelf. Go with what you like the feel of, but remember the more throttles sliders and buttons the more things will be easier to control in IL2. Having a slider or dial for trimming your aircraft is a big advantage. If you do not plan on getting rudder pedals soon you will need a joystick with a twist-stick axis so you can use the rudder. This is a must.

Anything is better than a keyboard and if you are on a budget you can find something between 20-60 dollars.

Choctaw111
08-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Just about any joystick will do you better than the keyboard.
You must have very good keyboard skills even to survive online.

pupo162
08-29-2009, 03:14 AM
99% of the onlione gammers use a joystick for they adventures. I use they keybord, and i get along with it preaty well. i dont get amny kills but thats becouse im not the best pilot around.

Flying with the keybord as some tricks once you learn them you will be flying in a very smoth way without looking that you are bumping all around.

neverthless, no matter how good you are at the keybord flying with a joystick makes thing feel some more realistic and fun.

Odie1974
08-29-2009, 03:19 AM
When in doubt buy the joystick that has more sliders/rotaries (3 sliders / rotaries would be ideal) vs one that has more buttons on the base (the base butons are not too useful, esp. the right hand side ones if you are right handed).
Oh, and it needs to have a throttle control as well... - this assumes you will want to fly using only the stick (without separate throttle controller).

It should also have at least one hat switch - for looking around (or other functions - if ou are going to be used mouse for looking - as lots of the folks do).

I also recommend getting a force feedback joystick - flying is much better with ff enabled.

But note that if/when you play for a longer time, then you are likely to want to buy a throttle, and since they usually come with their sticks, you will finally end up with two joysticks - just as I did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would look on e-bay for cheap (but new-ish) stuff. E.g. recently I bought my Saitek X52 throtle + stick for 55 USD (and it works very well). COnsidering the fact that in Poland I would have to spend 200 $ for X52, that was quite a bargain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE_Galway
08-29-2009, 03:20 AM
hmmm ... joystick cheaters

megalopsuche
08-29-2009, 07:23 AM
If you really enjoy this kind of stuff, make a smart choice and buy CH. Joysticks that have a twist handle for rudder do not give you the kind of control that rudder pedals do. Yes, you'll pay more for CH, but their stuff lasts forever, whereas you'll have to buy replacements for other sticks after 2-3 years (if you're lucky, if not, even sooner). I've had my CH joystick for 12 years now. Their rudder pedals are a little bit narrow, but they are fantastic once you get the hang of them.

MD_Titus
08-29-2009, 07:31 AM
saitekdo a good range of cheap sticks as well, one i oft see people posting they have is the st290. the av8tor one has two throttle controls and gets good press as well. for the higher end there's teh ch hotas and pedals, or saitek x-52 pro for hotas and twisty stick/rudder pedals choice, or the new logitech forcefeed back thing.