PDA

View Full Version : Trim and Spin

ParrotPatrol
06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I am having some serious trouble with trim and spins. After flying German planes for a while, I decided I would give the P-51 a spin. Little did I know what kind of spin I would be taking. When I am flying the P-51, that thing seems to throw itself into a spin at the slightest provocation. Actually, this seems to happen with almost all the American planes, and a great number of the old ones. I understand that I can't yank the stick like this was X-Wing vs. TIE fighter, but this is absurd. I have to be missing something here.

Now for trim...German planes were easy to deal with, if I gather right, they are pre-trimmed for cruising speed. I just have to figure OUT cruising speed. If anyone knows, please share.

Unfortunately the American planes stepped up the complications to a significant degree. I'm spending more time fiddling with my trim than I am actually flying. I just can't seem to get it right there has to be some sort of trick.

FI_Sacktime
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Aw yes the proverbial stall. I am no expert at flying but I too am a master of the stall. Each plane has it's own flight characteristics, some are just bears to a newbie to keep in the air and others are extremely forgiving, any of the YAKs or Zeros are nice planes for the new fliers they are fairly forgiving, the P-51 still gives me the creeps I have a hard time keeping it where I want it when I find myself in a dogfight. My only advice is to fly some QM with no bad guys and just fly about, climbing, diving, tight turns, split-S etc, and you'll start figure out the plane's tolerances.

idonno
06-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ParrotPatrol:
I'm spending more time fiddling with my trim than I am actually flying. I just can't seem to get it right there has to be some sort of trick.

It's extremely difficult (if not impossible) to make the fine adjustments necessary to get the trim just right. It's a flaw in IL2.

Another thing to consider is that as your speed changes (when you allow the nose to rise and fall as you look for boogies, or during the long acceleration after leveling out from a climb) you'll have to readjust the trim.

At some point you just have to say, close enough.

Wildnoob
06-21-2008, 03:15 PM
ParrotPatrol, I recommend that you download a program like IL2 sticks or joy wich feature the possibility of adjusting trim sensibility.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=332

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021

here there are links for download both ones.

I never used any of then, but already hear comments they are very effective.

give less sensitivity to the trim functions and you should not need make so frequenty adjustments.

I have problems with trim surfaces too, I just don't tested these programs yet because I can't unistall then if they not work properly (problem with my PC).

another option would be adjust then by your joystick software. but anyway, in pratical terms are the same thing.

about the P-51 stalling, I had this problem too. I sugest that you lower the sensitivity of the stick with the same programs I cited, or ever in the own game in hardware > imput.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif but know the P-51 is not a turn figther, so don't try push your stick too hard trying to follow a BF-109 in a turn for example, as the Mustang have a larger turn ratio then it.

if you don't know, you should learn how to use it's speed as main advantage.

ParrotPatrol
06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Forget the P-51. I have been trying to fly the thing, and just can't keep it in the air. I can dogfight better with a Beaufighter than this thing. Unless someone can point out some good sensitivity settings for IL-2, I am gonna have to stick to turn fighters, because American planes throw themselves into a spin with less than half a pull on my flight stick. I'd try to figure it out myself but that would amount to roughly an hour and a half of going in and out of the game while fiddling with the sensitivity settings, and I'd rather ask and see if anyone knows first.

I have this joycontrol program installed and its all Japanese to me, I can't make heads or tails of it, I'm afraid to tough anything for fear I'll mess up my game.

From the look of it, it seems that my elevator controls are entirely too sensitive.

crucislancer
06-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Forget the P-51. I have been trying to fly the thing, and just can't keep it in the air. I can dogfight better with a Beaufighter than this thing. Unless someone can point out some good sensitivity settings for IL-2, I am gonna have to stick to turn fighters, because American planes throw themselves into a spin with less than half a pull on my flight stick. I'd try to figure it out myself but that would amount to roughly an hour and a half of going in and out of the game while fiddling with the sensitivity settings, and I'd rather ask and see if anyone knows first.

I have this joycontrol program installed and its all Japanese to me, I can't make heads or tails of it, I'm afraid to tough anything for fear I'll mess up my game.

From the look of it, it seems that my elevator controls are entirely too sensitive.

The P-51 requires a deft touch at the controls. It's not a yank N bank fighter, so you need to think small adjustments. It's the type of plane that requires a lot of work to fly and shoot right, but I think it's worth it.

Joystick sensitivity really depends on the stick you have. For instance, I used to use the Logitech Wingman, and it set from 0 to 100 with a curve (set in JoyControl). That was the most conformtable setting for that stick. Now, I have a Saitek X52, and the stick works best set to 100 across the board, except the twist rudder, which is 20-100 on a curve.

Adjustments in JoyControl will not mess with your game. If you find that the setting isn't working, change it. If you need a reference point, there is a "default" button in the Input section of the game.

One of the beauties of this game is the vast amount of possibilities available. Don't give up on the P-51 just yet. With some practice you can fly it.

ElAurens
06-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Someone who has flown the real things and is certified as an FAA instructor on warbirds (everything from B-29 on down) says the most accurate aircraft in the game, for seat of the pants feel of the real thing are the Yak 9 (he owns one) and Spitfire. In his view the worst are the P51 (he owns one) and F6F.

Now I know this will bring out all the chart monkeys, interweb "experts", blue whiners in general, and other forum notables.

I'll take the word of a man who has flown the real thing.

Flame away boys.

ParrotPatrol
06-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Crucis, this is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what you are talking about. Curvewhatsit? I know what curve you are talking about, but since the utility didn't come with so much as a freaking readme, I don't know what it DOES.

crucislancer
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
Someone who has flown the real things and is certified as an FAA instructor on warbirds (everything from B-29 on down) says the most accurate aircraft in the game, for seat of the pants feel of the real thing are the Yak 9 (he owns one) and Spitfire. In his view the worst are the P51 (he owns one) and F6F.

Now I know this will bring out all the chart monkeys, interweb "experts", blue whiners in general, and other forum notables.

Flame away boys.

No flaming from me. I'll take his word as well.

Wildnoob
06-21-2008, 05:11 PM
In his view the worst are the P51 (he owns one) and F6F.

belive mate, I already hear vice versa. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

not with this guy, but about the P-51.

crucislancer
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Crucis, this is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what you are talking about. Curvewhatsit? I know what curve you are talking about, but since the utility didn't come with so much as a freaking readme, I don't know what it DOES.

Take a look at the interface.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/crucislancer/jcinterface.jpg

There is a section with 10 sliders, with a number below each slider. The left most slider represents the stick when it is barely deflected. The right most stick represents the stick when it is full deflected as far as it will go.

Directly to the left is two boxes set side by side with numbers, and a few buttons below that say All Max, All Min, Linear, Curved, -10%, +10%, copy, and paste.

Go to the two boxes with numbers that's on the left. Set the left one for 0, then the right one for 100. Then, click on the Curved Button. Observe what it does to the 10 sliders on the right. The left most slider will be 0, the right most slider will be 100, and the sliders in between will gradually move up in a curve between 0 and 100.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/crucislancer/curved.jpg

Next, click the Linear button. Now the sliders will still go from 0 to 100, but they will be on a straight diagonal line between 0 and 100.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/crucislancer/linear.jpg

you may or may not notice the difference. Play around with it. It works exactly like the Input section in IL-2, it just has more options. If you have trim functions or prop pitch on sliders or rotary dials, you can adjust the sensitivity to suit you.

And that's the rub. Experiment and find something that suits YOU. It will take time, but it's worth it.

I hope that helps.

chunkydora
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Flame away boys.

IT IS A GAME! NOT PERFECT!

But with the stang, fly with 25% fuel, it helps.

ParrotPatrol
06-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks, guys. I don't spin or stall anymore!

Wildnoob
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by idonno:
It's extremely difficult (if not impossible) to make the fine adjustments necessary to get the trim just right. It's a flaw in IL2.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif