PDA

View Full Version : Patroling strategies

Lucasite
04-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey, just curious on this.

When I get sent out to a sector to patrol, I normally head straight for the middle of the sqaure. Surface, and head north or south, wait a couple of days for a contact. then mark (with the ruler) the general path its taking. Then I hang around that path until I can actually catch something.

Is this a bad idea?

Im currently patrolling the North Sea, and the printed map doesnt specifically give lines of routes, no in detail anyway. And one box/grid is very large, easy to miss ships when your on the other side of the box.

How do you patrol?

Do you bother to use the patrolling waypoints?

Lucasite
04-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey, just curious on this.

When I get sent out to a sector to patrol, I normally head straight for the middle of the sqaure. Surface, and head north or south, wait a couple of days for a contact. then mark (with the ruler) the general path its taking. Then I hang around that path until I can actually catch something.

Is this a bad idea?

Im currently patrolling the North Sea, and the printed map doesnt specifically give lines of routes, no in detail anyway. And one box/grid is very large, easy to miss ships when your on the other side of the box.

How do you patrol?

Do you bother to use the patrolling waypoints?

Charlie901
04-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Remember at 20m depth your sonarman sould be able to "Hear" contacts farther than you could visually acquire them on the surface. So dive often and Listen!

Also I use the patrol course selection quite often.

Remember it's all Dynamic and therefoe hit or miss.

Good Luck!

quillan
04-09-2005, 12:32 PM
After you've done a few patrols, you'll come to realize some areas are more active than others. BdU usually sends me to patrol someplace off the beaten path. So, most of the time, I head for the closest corner of the square, run the navigators "back and forth several times" search pattern at Ahead Slow (that takes care of the 24 hours), and then move off to better hunting grounds. If I happen to spot anything while in the square I'll sink it, and I'll leave for a nearby reported contact and return to finish, but I rarely stay in the assigned square.

Lassen
04-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I do pretty much the same as guillan but I hit high trafic areas before and after I've reached the sector I've been sent to patrol.

Once you learn where these high trafic areas are, you can pretty much guarentee you'll bag a few. Personally I dont go home until I've sunk 10 enemy or run out of ammo.

U-505-1971
04-09-2005, 02:12 PM
I do the same as quillan.

Johnny_JG2
04-09-2005, 02:35 PM
When I reach my assigned grid, I immediately submerge to 25-50M and plot a course a couple hundred KM in my grid. I go silent running, all ahead slow, and hit time compression. If I get a contact, of course I intercept it, if not I may have to surface once for oxygen and recharge- then I submerge again until my 24hrs are up.

Once they are up, I pretend that one of my radio messages that says, "Keep up the Good work", *actually* says, "head to Gibraltor and kill as many destroyers as you can", or "sneak into this harbor and sink merchants in the channel.." and fun stuff like that.

There's only been a couple times that I found several contacts in my grid- once was a large convoy though- so I always make sure I'm submerged in my grid to hear anyone around.

Graeme_174
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Looks like your philosophy has got guite a following, Quillan. I have to agree with them too.
Most of my best tonnage has been after doing my assigned grid and nosing around high traffic areas.
Lucasite, all ofthese guys have given good advice. Reading these boards have helped me complete 28 patrols with no fatalities.
You will find sweet spots.If youre in the N, Atlantic, try AL-AM for convoys heading to Liverpool ect. Bdu may inform you of any convoys too.Dont go too close to England as Descroyers come out to give them protection on their way. Not good when you have used all your eels on merchants, as I descovered.
Also, if possible stay as far from allied air coverage as possible, you may not get prize targets,but you are alive. Things get hectic enough in the later years of the war
Use what you want from this post, theres plenty of experience on these boards both real life and subsim.
Good Luck Commander!

KiwiVenge
04-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Anyone figure out just how much depth affects how well teh hydrophone works? I know you have to be at least at periscope depth in calm weather, and deeper still in rough seas.
Questions is how much better is it at 20 than 15, or 30 than 20 etc.

SubQual
04-09-2005, 08:28 PM
I head for the patrol area and then start looking for sonar contacts. When I find a contact I mark with an X and head out for an intercept. After a hour or so I get a second sound bearing and mark with an X. I then draw a line between the Xs to get the heading of the ship.

Extending this line I now have an interception point based on the best speed I can muster.

I typically get one or two contacts in my patrol area every time.