PDA

View Full Version : taking off

maintsmanphil
06-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Ok i am taking off from the carrier as i get top speed than pull up on the stick than it crashes in the sea what am i doing wrong??

maintsmanphil
06-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Ok i am taking off from the carrier as i get top speed than pull up on the stick than it crashes in the sea what am i doing wrong??

JG53Frankyboy
06-16-2006, 06:56 AM
moving or stationary carrier ?
what plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dbillo
06-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Don't pull up on the stick. You're still going too slow to pull up, and you're stalling. Try just letting it fly straight and level off the end of the carrier...maybe even dip down a little to pick up some speed.

Make sure you have takeoff flaps selected, and you might try it at first with 50% or 25% fuel load.

bogusheadbox
06-16-2006, 07:43 AM
1. Stay chocked in.
2. lock your tail wheel.
3. half to 3/4 up trim
4. full throttle.
5. Full flaps
6. release chocks.
7. When you exit the deck of the carrier try not to pull up. Your trim should bring your nose up. Even allow yourself to drop a little below the deck. Trick is not to point your nose too high as you will stop the aircraft from accelerating and induce a stall/spin
8. Gear up as soon as possible.
9. Lift flaps accordingly with rising air speed.

As been previously mentioned. It is much easier to take off from a moving carrier, than a stopped one. In some instances, full bomb load and full fuel may make you too heavy to get airborne.

But most important is ..... Practice Practice Practice

HitchHikerHSDWG
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
The most trouble I've had with carrier take offs is with the Corsair loaded and taking off from a (ensign?) class carrier (or short deck). What I do now that works is set elevator trim like stated to about 3/4 full throttle before releasing chocks, fuel mix 120% and a little right rudder to keep the torque in check.

Carrier take offs are tricky but landing is very tricky! Make sure your not trying to take off from a stationary carrier in a dogfight server because although possible its a totally different experience! Make sure to keep a steady straight as possible path to the end of the deck to maximize speed (moving left to right while trying to counter torque makes it harder to gain speed). It really comes down to a matter of practice though!

maintsmanphil
06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
I just want to thank to you all for the help it sure nice to have good people to help others.

general_kalle
06-17-2006, 09:37 AM
id wish u could use the catapult on the carriers and the battleships... and on Indianopolis

kalaluth
06-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Try Wildact Training (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=429). The mission 2 is from and to a carrier.

HitchHikerHSDWG
06-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I did something similiar with the mission builder by setting some waypoints for a short and long carrier and then adding all carrier aircraft in the game. The level starts you out in air about 500m alt. and a ways out right on the approach. I use this mission to practice all my carrier landings. Eventually I'm going to make a slightly harder version so I can get better at it. But if you'd like I can email the mission to you. My email is hitchhikingflatlander@yahoo.com or msn is same email but @hotmail.com. I should add that its for PF standalone 4.04

I also have a take-off mission that does the same thing!