PDA

View Full Version : learning curve question

sunflower1
10-01-2004, 04:56 PM
I've got all the icons off now, doing a Sturmovik career. We take off to find those darn tanks on flatcars. I leave the autopilot on and concentrate on keeping track of where I am on the map and looking around the sky, using the FOV stuff for the first time. We spread out line astern after a bit. Nobody changes course, dives, fires any weapons of any sort, we hit the waypoint, turn, fly home, everyone still carrying a full load. Mission accomplished, hidden objective, etc.

Huh?

sunflower1
10-01-2004, 04:56 PM
I've got all the icons off now, doing a Sturmovik career. We take off to find those darn tanks on flatcars. I leave the autopilot on and concentrate on keeping track of where I am on the map and looking around the sky, using the FOV stuff for the first time. We spread out line astern after a bit. Nobody changes course, dives, fires any weapons of any sort, we hit the waypoint, turn, fly home, everyone still carrying a full load. Mission accomplished, hidden objective, etc.

Huh?

Zeus-cat
10-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Obviously the software that generates missions screwed this one up. Your target wasn't where it was supposed to be.The hidden objective was probably for landing.

This type of thing would be very common in real life. You can either return to base or expend your ordinance on a target of opportunity.

Zeus-cat

sunflower1
10-01-2004, 06:04 PM
ahhh, ok. Yeah, that would have been common.

This is a whole different ballgame with the icons off, I like it.

Jumoschwanz
10-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Well you got home in one piece. Call it a good mission. S!

Jumoschwanz

Tully__
10-02-2004, 02:51 AM
With a bit of searching about you may be able to find the target. Tanks on flatcars will be on a railway track somewhere, and presumably that track runs through the target locations. Fly along the tracks and see what you can find...

If the AI didn't spot the target, it will be at least 3km away from anywhere you flew, maybe much more.

sunflower1
10-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, thanks guys, I learned a lot about the rural countryside around Leningrad last night and found the targets and an extra airbase at which to cause problems. How do I print the maps?

Slick750
10-02-2004, 05:57 PM
http://www.777avg.com/maps/

Fehler
10-03-2004, 01:54 AM
If you want a little added realism, you can print the maps off, laminate them and use grease pencil to mark waypoints form the mission brief. Use a compass to get your heading(s) and start the mission.

When I am flying the offline campaigns, I do just that. Plus, I turn off all HUD text and concentrate on the instruments.

In preparation for PF, I am trying to learn how to navigate without terrain identification. This is a serious biatch! Using a watch and trying to figure out where you are by compass, speed, and time. I get lost 90% of the time doing this, but I presume that is how it was done over vast water.

You will soon get an appreciation for the guys that flew in the Pacific! Add to that, that they had to locate their targets, then find the carriers (That moved from when they took off) and you will soon realize that flying was not very fun!

I had read somewhere that on occassion, Japanese and American air formations would pass within visual range of each other, but not engage because each formation had a specific mission objective to reach, and an engagement would throw them off target/fuel concerns/mission objectives not reached. I cant remember where I read that, or I would quote it.

That actually brings me to another point. I really think (For me at least) PF will be the better sim to fly offline than FB. All the things you have to reckon with in navigation will be exceptionally tricky over huge chunks of water!

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Hmm looks like I am gona have to brush up on my sectional navigation skills. Triangulation anyone?

CrazyIF
10-03-2004, 06:27 PM
And I'm just getting navigation with terrain ID! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'd better start practicing... perhaps one of the blank maps without much terrain...

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-03-2004, 06:39 PM
I think there may well be a shortage of dingies in the near future get yours now while you still can. That or start practisicing your breast stroke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif